IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

If you squeeze the TPMS it registers pressure pretty easily. Anyone use this method?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 10:57 PM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you squeeze the TPMS it registers pressure pretty easily. Anyone use this method?

I did a google search but didn't see if anyone simply put rubber bands around the tpms to fool the system versus building a pressurized tube. I squeezed it lightly to make 40lbs of pressure. I would think one could just get some rubber bands or some squeezing method that is easy and costs nothing and stores in a smaller place.

Ideas: A popsicle stick in half with each half on each side then tape around and the flex would last for a long time. Even a couple pieces of metal with flex, or 2 dimes with rubber bands creating same effect as opposing digits, maybe bobby pin and rubber band at one end or simply a clothes pin.

Last edited by Jeffrimerm; 01-22-15 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 11:55 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeffrimerm
I did a google search but didn't see if anyone simply put rubber bands around the tpms to fool the system versus building a pressurized tube. I squeezed it lightly to make 40lbs of pressure. I would think one could just get some rubber bands or some squeezing method that is easy and costs nothing and stores in a smaller place.

Ideas: A popsicle stick in half with each half on each side then tape around and the flex would last for a long time. Even a couple pieces of metal with flex, or 2 dimes with rubber bands creating same effect as opposing digits, maybe bobby pin and rubber band at one end or simply a clothes pin.

I used wire ties (zip ties) one on each side of the TPMS sensors along with some spongie rubber material in between two of the TPMS sensors (flat side). Worked for me.
Old 01-23-15, 10:04 AM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Originally Posted by Meguerra
I used wire ties (zip ties) one on each side of the TPMS sensors along with some spongie rubber material in between two of the TPMS sensors (flat side). Worked for me.
Wow nice, zip ties, even better. I was dumb and entered one of the "D" as a "0" so one tpms didn't work and I thought it was no good. So I completely took it apart and saw that it used a regular Panasonic battery 3V. So when I reprogrammed the system with it, then it showed up. I found where the pressure needs to be applied. It's on the top of what looks like a chip. I'm sure it's a much smaller spot inside the surface of the chip. That's too much work to mess with that way so zip ties and spongie stuff it is =) Thanks for that
Old 01-23-15, 03:01 PM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Ok took care of the low tire pressure, but this is probably a dumb question. I have that Traction Control light on and the red triangle. Is this because they are not mounted in the tires so the car isn't sensing motion?
Old 01-24-15, 07:21 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

No, that's likely a different, unrelated issue. TPMS has no effect on traction control/VSC.

Jeff
Old 01-24-15, 09:13 AM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
No, that's likely a different, unrelated issue. TPMS has no effect on traction control/VSC.

Jeff
I think I might need a zero point calibration. Since everything is fine when the car starts up. It's only when I move does it come on. Or would the lights stay on all the time if I needed that? I see a couple different ways to calibrate. I have techstream and heard there was a way with that but I haven't seen a how to with techstream. One youtube with a scion has one putting a paper clip to #4 and #12 of the dlc3 and starting the car for 5 seconds then your done. There is a couple other much more involved steps also with a paper clip or wire.
Old 01-24-15, 09:55 AM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Oh wow, techstream did a zero point calibration super easily. Just went to the ABS ecu and saw the error code saying that my zero point calibration was undone. Went to data. Then went to utility then test mode. It ran that for a few seconds and it was complete. All lights shut off after a year wooooo hooooo.
Old 02-02-15, 01:15 PM
subliime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys. so i JUST installed my new wheels (avante garde) and came to the unfortunate realization i should've purchased the tpms sensors. Are zip ties, rubber bands, etc the only way to remove the sensor light or is there some other more elegant way to get the light off of my dashboard....... thanks
Old 02-02-15, 03:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

If you don't have the TPMS sensors in your wheels, the only way to get the light off is to do something else (pressure tube, rubber bands, something).

Jeff
Old 02-02-15, 03:39 PM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Originally Posted by subliime
hey guys. so i JUST installed my new wheels (avante garde) and came to the unfortunate realization i should've purchased the tpms sensors. Are zip ties, rubber bands, etc the only way to remove the sensor light or is there some other more elegant way to get the light off of my dashboard....... thanks
If you don't have tpms sensors then the light will stay on as long as the system is not reading any sensors that say the pressure is fine. First thing you'll need to do is get a set. I got mine for $42 on ebay. Second thing to do is program your ecu to utilize the data from those sensors. Third, put pressure on the sensor in some way. I recommend zip ties with some kind of water or fuel line. Over time the rubber will settle an the low pressure light will come on but with fuel line you can turn a screw down the middle and make it go out. I recommend ordering the cable on ebay so you can do it yourself with connecting a computer to the car so you can see which sensor needs how much pressure etc.. If you're in the socal area you're welcome to come by my place. I have plenty of zip ties and tubing. If you need help on getting and installing the programs PM me. I've gone through all the headaches so happy to help since I just did it.
Old 02-02-15, 04:02 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm kind of surprised with all the wiring gurus with the wiring diagrams on here that nobody on here has figured out what wire is turning on the TPMS light on the instrument cluster from the TPMS ECU.Far as I know,the TPMS sensor is just a pressure switch that sends a radio signal to the TPMS ECU that then sends either a pos or ground to the gauge cluster to trigger the light.

Most of the Toyota 4x4 forums have mods that splice the wire so they don't get the light when they air down for offroading and/or put it on a seperate simple switch to use the TPMS as needed for different wheels. Here is the one for FJ's and the 4Runners/Tacos have a similar one ........ http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...pms-light.html
Old 02-02-15, 04:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Just looking at the wiring diagram now, it seems that there are independent wires from the ECU to the gauge cluster to illuminate the TPMS indicator, I had previously assumed (I shouldn't) that the signal was sent on the CAN bus, like most others.

I theorize that simply removing the TPMS ECU would potentially completely disable the system. From my reading it seems relatively independent from the other systems in the car, even storing its own DTC's. If that did NOT correct the issue, I would think depinning pins 4 and 5 (pink and green wires) from the TPMS ECU behind the radio would likely disable the indicator as well. (Alternatively pins 15 and 4 on the gauge cluster connector J34 are the same wires).

Again, I haven't tried this, but it would be worth trying, I think, for people without sensors.

Many of the systems in the Lexus are built in such a way that if the corresponding ECU isn't present, the car assumes that option/feature/system was not installed and completely ignores it, I suspect this may be one of those cases.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 02-02-15, 05:32 PM
subliime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffrimerm
If you don't have tpms sensors then the light will stay on as long as the system is not reading any sensors that say the pressure is fine. First thing you'll need to do is get a set. I got mine for $42 on ebay. Second thing to do is program your ecu to utilize the data from those sensors. Third, put pressure on the sensor in some way. I recommend zip ties with some kind of water or fuel line. Over time the rubber will settle an the low pressure light will come on but with fuel line you can turn a screw down the middle and make it go out. I recommend ordering the cable on ebay so you can do it yourself with connecting a computer to the car so you can see which sensor needs how much pressure etc.. If you're in the socal area you're welcome to come by my place. I have plenty of zip ties and tubing. If you need help on getting and installing the programs PM me. I've gone through all the headaches so happy to help since I just did it.
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what you just said. I am fairly mechanically inclined but that made absolutely no sense to me.... I am in North San Diego County and would gladly accept assistance. Otherwise, i am looking at a life full of flat tire symbols on my dashboard. Bleh.

Jeff
Old 02-02-15, 06:34 PM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Originally Posted by subliime
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what you just said. I am fairly mechanically inclined but that made absolutely no sense to me.... I am in North San Diego County and would gladly accept assistance. Otherwise, i am looking at a life full of flat tire symbols on my dashboard. Bleh.

Jeff
hehe sorry I probably rambled on too quickly as I was leaving the office. Each sensor is sending a radio signal to a receiver at the ecu that deals with tire pressure. If any one of them is not broadcasting or says low pressure then your light will go on. Right now you are missing all 4. You need to get all 4 from somewhere like ebay or Lexus(crap-ton of cash I think). I bought Toyota ones since Toyota, Lexus, and Scion are the same company. "PMV-107J" is the model I searched with. They have a serial number with 7 distinct digits for each one. Put the model in a search in ebay and you'll find tons. Then get a "Mini VCI 16 Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Cable+CD". You can probably just put Diagnostic cable for toyota techstream in a search and get tons. I paid $26. Then load the software onto a computer with Windows 7 or older that is only 32 bit. Most new computers have 64 bit operating systems so for some reason the software doesn't work on 64 bit. I PM'd you my phone number in case you need me to talk you through it. I found out I had to get a paper clip and touch pins on where the OBD cable plugs into on the car to allow the system to work. Not sure why but it worked. If you get some tpms sensors and the cable just call me. If you happen to be driving through Pasadena stop by and I'll help

Jeff
Old 02-02-15, 06:41 PM
Jeffrimerm
Rookie

Originally Posted by harper7
I'm kind of surprised with all the wiring gurus with the wiring diagrams on here that nobody on here has figured out what wire is turning on the TPMS light on the instrument cluster from the TPMS ECU.Far as I know,the TPMS sensor is just a pressure switch that sends a radio signal to the TPMS ECU that then sends either a pos or ground to the gauge cluster to trigger the light.

Most of the Toyota 4x4 forums have mods that splice the wire so they don't get the light when they air down for offroading and/or put it on a seperate simple switch to use the TPMS as needed for different wheels. Here is the one for FJ's and the 4Runners/Tacos have a similar one ........ http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...pms-light.html
I found a wiring diagram to hack a Toyota Echo. I wonder where the IS250/350 has the same circuit. I can't imagine it not working exactly the same. My only concern would be since its federally mandated and if someone sold their car and then someone could blame their crash on the previous owner if the tampering was evident then what could happen. Just gotta make sure to un-tamper it before selling

Quick Reply: If you squeeze the TPMS it registers pressure pretty easily. Anyone use this method?