IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Problem, need input or advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 11:14 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navigation Problem, need input or advice

I have a 2007 Lexus IS350 with ML package. My navigation screen went black on me last week. Radio still works but screen is total black. No A/C controls, no lights on the buttons around the navigation head unit. I can still change mode on steering wheel for sound, FM, AUX ect... BUT NOTHING SHOWS UP ON THE SCREEN. But this is the least of my problem.
I bought a complete ML head unit to do a swap instead of replacing the LCD from my old unit. After the swap, "voila" everything works again including the screen, lights on buttons around the unit, A/C control including DVD playback.
The problem is my navigation shows on start up that I am in Chula Vista, CA while I am in Phoenix, AZ!
After a test drive.... Navigation moves as I am driving like normal but the issue is that is shows I am travelling in California but in fact I am in Phoenix, AZ.
I tried to disconnect the battery and same thing. I tried to remove the Nav disk and install the latest GEN 5 version 13.1 nav disk and the same thing happens. Upon nav system load up... it shows that I am in Chula Vista location when in fact I am in my garage in Phoenix AZ.
Could some one shed some light on this ....
I tried to contact the person that sold me the Navigation head unit and explain the problem and the response he/she gave is that I need to take my vehicle in to a dealer to have the Nav headunit flashed/sync to work with the rest of my vehicle components....
This is news to me.
I appreciate any help if someone could shed some light in my problem.
Old 01-22-15, 04:42 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the navigation manual (which you can download, if you don't have the printed copy) there is a section "advanced functions", current position/tire change calibration. It's on pg 92 of my manual, which should at least get you close to where you need to look.

touch setup on menu
touch adjust of calibration

Did you try that?
Old 01-22-15, 02:47 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by scott1256c
in the navigation manual (which you can download, if you don't have the printed copy) there is a section "advanced functions", current position/tire change calibration. It's on pg 92 of my manual, which should at least get you close to where you need to look.

touch setup on menu
touch adjust of calibration

Did you try that?
I tried that but no success. It seems like after removal of the battery overnight it reset back to the exact location in Chula Vista, CA.

Last edited by jamessinh; 01-22-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 04:04 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navigation Problem

Are you sure the GPS antenna is hooked up? The movement you are seeing is the dead reckoning accelerometers. With Chula Vista the last know location.
Old 01-22-15, 04:20 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Are you sure the GPS antenna is hooked up? The movement you are seeing is the dead reckoning accelerometers. With Chula Vista the last know location.
The movement is all around as i am travelling around Phoenix, AZ only it shows that i am travelling around California. Chula Vista is the starting point after several attemp removal of the battery terminal as i am sitting in my garage in Phoenix,AZ. I will take it apart tonight to verify connections later. Really weird.

Last edited by jamessinh; 01-22-15 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 07:46 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navigation

The GPS system needs a clear view of the sky to work. When the signal is blocked. The system has gyros and accelerometers to keep the system going till the signal is restored.

Something else you might want to look at is to see if the antennas for the two control heads are compatable.
Old 01-22-15, 09:55 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFWes
The GPS system needs a clear view of the sky to work. When the signal is blocked. The system has gyros and accelerometers to keep the system going till the signal is restored.

Something else you might want to look at is to see if the antennas for the two control heads are compatable.
My nav display seem like it's functioning correctly as I commute to and from work back to my house. The only issue is that it display California street and roads including highway system throughout my commute just as if I was in California with the exception that I am commuting in Phoenix area of Arizona. I even try to input my home address here in Arizona and it too display the route from my nav screen current position in California to Phoenix, AZ totaling 2 hundred and some odd miles to my destination. It's crazy weird.
Old 01-23-15, 01:26 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

easy fix.....move to Chula Vista. lol. jk hope you find a fix.
Old 01-23-15, 12:07 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Exactly! Maybe you're in Cali and didn't know it! LOL!

Have you selected the correct "region" on the NAV function yet?
Old 01-23-15, 12:34 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Exactly! Maybe you're in Cali and didn't know it! LOL!

Have you selected the correct "region" on the NAV function yet?
Selecting the region is for searching destination addresses. I don't think it has anything to do with the current vehicle location.
Old 01-24-15, 10:41 AM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamessinh
Selecting the region is for searching destination addresses. I don't think it has anything to do with the current vehicle location.
Correct.

I'll bet dollars to donuts you simply did not connect the antenna. Do you see "GPS" displayed under the map scale in the upper left corner of the screen? It will display when the unit has a GPS lock.
Old 01-24-15, 01:14 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by xhackr
Correct.

I'll bet dollars to donuts you simply did not connect the antenna. Do you see "GPS" displayed under the map scale in the upper left corner of the screen? It will display when the unit has a GPS lock.
I feel stupid. Took the nav apart and you guys are right. The antenna cable is not fully plug in. It's working correctly now. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 01-24-15, 01:42 PM
xhackr
Rookie

I feel stupid. Took the nav apart and you guys are right. The antenna cable is not fully plug in. It's working correctly now. Thanks for all the feedback.
LOL What do you think, no one here has made mistakes like that? We all do. Glad you're up and running.
Old 01-25-15, 08:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The dead reckoning was showing your movements, and the system pushes the arrow icon onto streets whenever you are relatively close to one.
Old 01-25-15, 07:42 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
The dead reckoning was showing your movements, and the system pushes the arrow icon onto streets whenever you are relatively close to one.
Up and running good. I am still unhappy that this is the 2nd time replacing the nav unit. The first time was when the vehicle was 2 years old back in 2009. What's up with this model?