IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 engine whine (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 09:11 PM
jkenn6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down IS350 engine whine (VIDEO)

First and foremost, THIS VIDEO WAS RECORDED WITH ACCESSORY BELT TAKEN OFF, so that eliminates all pulleys, alternator and water pump. Had a lot of people also say to check the Power steering fluid (for anyone who doesn't know, the 2IS has electric steering, no PS pump)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwflxjnpqq...51582.mp4?dl=0

I can not for the life of me figure out what this noise is coming from. It does it cold, and fully warm. I also have had the camgear recall done like 5 months ago.
Old 01-19-15, 10:08 PM
akuma88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just throwing something out there, timing belt or harmonic balancer
Old 01-20-15, 12:24 AM
jasonr
Driver

could be timing chain
Old 01-20-15, 08:42 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That does not sound good :S

Hopefully it's nothing too major. Seems like more problems have been popping up on the IS350s lately.
Old 01-20-15, 04:56 PM
jkenn6
Driver

you guys really think its the timing chain? I am brining it to Lexus tomorrow for a DIAG. ($$$$$) If it is the timing chain, would i bring that up with lexus NA because they are supposedly lifetime and I only have 65k miles?

Any advice will help.

NO LEXUS TECHS HERE?!
Old 01-21-15, 02:12 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Unfortunately I have no sound here at work; but if you removed the ACC belt and am still getting a bad noise that is RPM-dependent, then what besides timing chain-related components or the crank pulley could it be? Do you get the same noise while driving in ALL gears including neutral? Just trying to rule out the trans.
Old 01-21-15, 06:22 PM
jkenn6
Driver

Yes, noise while driving, idling and neutral. I brought it to lexus and they stated "Nothing is wrong, they don't hear anything" so they requested I come in tomorrow morning and go for a ride w the tech.... hate when they treat me like i'm an idiot.
Old 01-22-15, 12:54 AM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by jkenn6
Yes, noise while driving, idling and neutral. I brought it to lexus and they stated "Nothing is wrong, they don't hear anything" so they requested I come in tomorrow morning and go for a ride w the tech.... hate when they treat me like i'm an idiot.
I am pretty sure nothing wrong with the car. My buddy's Nissan Maxima had the same issue. They told him to replace his timing chain. Also told him it is not required. But there was no 100% that sound will go away. I believe it has something to do with tightness or something.

My IS350 has that sound sometimes. Not all the time. I won't be worried about it at all. I know the sound is annoying. I am pretty sure tech is gonna tell you every thing is okay

Time for you to upgrade your intake and exhaust You won't hear that sound. haha.
Old 05-30-15, 11:55 PM
dul311
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkenn6
First and foremost, THIS VIDEO WAS RECORDED WITH ACCESSORY BELT TAKEN OFF, so that eliminates all pulleys, alternator and water pump. Had a lot of people also say to check the Power steering fluid (for anyone who doesn't know, the 2IS has electric steering, no PS pump)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwflxjnpqq...51582.mp4?dl=0

I can not for the life of me figure out what this noise is coming from. It does it cold, and fully warm. I also have had the camgear recall done like 5 months ago.

I just bought my 2006 IS350 approximately 4 months ago and I started noticing this whining noise more and more. At first, I thought it just had a ground loop, which was causing an audio inside the care. It was indeed and I bought a groudloop isolator which cured the inside noise. But then I noticed the engine whine noise. Its more noticeable when it's cold but it's still there when its warm too.

I've searched this topic many times on this forum but no one posted a fix. The most popular recommendation was to replace alternator. Some said pulleys and even time chain. A lot folks did say that they also had this noise and they were told their car was ok.

So, has anyone found a known fix? Alternator?

I also have the loud ticking noise which sounds like valve tap but I have already read that it is the direct fuel injection system. Other say it's a bad water pump.

I would love to figure out some fixes, because otherwise I love this car. Not us much umph sound-wise as my G35 was but it's definitely more refined.

- Dul311
Old 05-31-15, 02:03 AM
KingReyes
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I work for Beverly Hill Lexus. I can assure you a brand new 2GR-FSE engine has a mechanical whine (goes louder as load and RPM increase) that is normal and a direct injection ticking you're hearing. Overtime it will go louder as it breaks in. It's perfectly normal. Some cars have a metallic whining sound almost sound like a supercharger when driving.

This applies to 4GR-FSE found in the IS250 as welll but not as loud.
Old 05-31-15, 08:02 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KingReyes
I work for Beverly Hill Lexus. I can assure you a brand new 2GR-FSE engine has a mechanical whine (goes louder as load and RPM increase) that is normal and a direct injection ticking you're hearing. Overtime it will go louder as it breaks in. It's perfectly normal. Some cars have a metallic whining sound almost sound like a supercharger when driving.

This applies to 4GR-FSE found in the IS250 as welll but not as loud.
Thank for reply what do you think about lack of performance on IS350?
Old 05-31-15, 09:30 AM
KingReyes
Rookie

As for your performance issue, it could be a lot of play in factor. Without Toyota/Lexus Techstream, no one can really pinpoint the problem with that symptom. However since you've mentioned you changed the plugs I recommend you look at them again, see how it's torqued. Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a sensitive ignition/fuel system as it can adapt by reducing power/pressure necessary if a certain part is being stressed. Sometimes it doesn't trigger a check engine light. Second I would look at is MAF sensor. Since you have aftermarket intake, sometimes the MAF sensor gets fouled up; less surface area = less 02 being sensed = less gass = less power. Try cleaning it. Also it's rare but since it's related to your shifting, try looking into the ECT sensor as that is related to how the transmission shift (when cold shifts later to warm the engine, etc.). Best advice to you is find a mechanic or someone with Toyota/Lexus Techstream or buy Toyota/Lexus Techstream on eBay and diagnose yourself.
Old 05-31-15, 09:39 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KingReyes
As for your performance issue, it could be a lot of play in factor. Without Toyota/Lexus Techstream, no one can really pinpoint the problem with that symptom. However since you've mentioned you changed the plugs I recommend you look at them again, see how it's torqued. Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a sensitive ignition/fuel system as it can adapt by reducing power/pressure necessary if a certain part is being stressed. Sometimes it doesn't trigger a check engine light. Second I would look at is MAF sensor. Since you have aftermarket intake, sometimes the MAF sensor gets fouled up; less surface area = less 02 being sensed = less gass = less power. Try cleaning it. Also it's rare but since it's related to your shifting, try looking into the ECT sensor as that is related to how the transmission shift (when cold shifts later to warm the engine, etc.). Best advice to you is find a mechanic or someone with Toyota/Lexus Techstream or buy Toyota/Lexus Techstream on eBay and diagnose yourself.
Thank you for the information. Where would ECT sensor located I try google image. But nothing came up.

Last edited by MWIS350; 05-31-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-31-15, 07:08 PM
KingReyes
Rookie

Removal

1. REMOVE COOL AIR INTAKE DUCT SEAL
2. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER LH
3. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER RH
4. REMOVE V-BANK COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY
5. REMOVE FRONT FENDER PROTECTOR UPPER LH
6. REMOVE FRONT FENDER PROTECTOR UPPER RH
7. REMOVE ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH MOULDING LH
8. REMOVE ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH MOULDING RH
9. REMOVE FRONT WIPER ARM HEAD CAP 10. REMOVE WINDSHIELD WIPER ARM AND BLADE ASSEMBLY LH
11. REMOVE WINDSHIELD WIPER ARM AND BLADE ASSEMBLY RH
12. REMOVE COWL TOP VENTILATOR LOUVER SUBASSEMBLY
13. DISCHARGE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE
14. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT
15. DISCONNECT NO. 2 VENTILATION HOSE
16. REMOVE AIR CLEANER CAP WITH AIR CLEANER HOSE
17. REMOVE THROTTLE BODY
18. REMOVE INTAKE AIR SURGE TANK ASSEMBLY
19. REMOVE INTAKE MANIFOLD
20. REMOVE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR a. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor connector.
b. Remove the engine coolant temperature sensor.
c. Remove the gasket from the engine coolant temperature sensor.

Installation

1. INSTALL ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR a. Install a new gasket to the engine coolant temperature sensor.
b. Install the engine coolant temperature sensor. Torque: 20 N.m (204 kgf.cm, 15 ft.lbf) c. Connect the engine coolant temperature sensor connector.
2. INSTALL INTAKE MANIFOLD
3. INSTALL INTAKE AIR SURGE TANK ASSEMBLY
Old 05-31-15, 07:16 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Thank you. Look like lot of work.

Quick Reply: IS350 engine whine (VIDEO)