IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibration when stopped?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 05:40 PM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration when stopped?

Whats up everyone, new to the forum. Just purchased this Glacier Frost Mica 06 awd IS250. Not new to these cars. Anyway, when at a red light or just stopped in general I get a pretty bad vibration. I can put it in neutral and goes away, back to Drive and its back. I'm wondering if its a transmission mount maybe?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Vibration when stopped?-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-17-15, 07:18 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Describe it more.

Last edited by darkdream; 01-18-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-17-15, 07:49 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ I have no idea what these guys are talking about........

Anyway, vibration (and sometimes wobble) is something that seems to plague the AWD's. I personally have a bit of vibration once and a while, which goes away when shifting to neutral.
This has something to do with angles and orientation of our internal parts on the car (long explanation).
Unfortunately theres no real pattern with this issue... some people experience it and some people don't. Also, people who experience it all experience different degrees of it and even sometimes a "wobble" while driving or even at idle.

People commonly come across this issue when they lower their AWD. But again, its random.... some guys are slammed to the ground and experience nothing, while others who are still at stock height (me) experience it.

[unrelated to your issue]
I have minor vibrations once and a while, but I have already begun the process of lowering my AWD for this spring. (If you plan on lowering, there seems to be a sweet spot between 24"-25" fender to ground to keep the internals happy.)
Old 01-18-15, 09:49 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Looks like the previous owner made a bunch of mods to the car (the IS F or IS C bumper, the aftermarket LED/HID headlamps, rims, and possibly some sort of lowering (springs or coils) from what I can see from the pic). If the car is lowered in any way (for AWDs only), that is usually the source of vibration and it occurs because of the suspension geometry and the CV axles in particular. However, like what Nixcision has said, it honestly can happen with any AWD whether it's bone stock or modded but definitely higher chance if it's lowered.

Not sure if the other two posts about a dead engine/piston rings are trying to troll you to search the forums or something but it's definitely not that (since this topic has been beaten to death).
Old 01-18-15, 10:03 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Club! you got the best discontinued Lexus Color! Congrats. Looks like you got yourself a nice looking modded 06. Vibration? try checking your coolant fan? it spins fast and loud often while idling.
Old 01-18-15, 10:10 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah, looks like aftermarket headlights that's been on this forum. Can you take a pic from the front, so I see what it looks like?

The vibration is probably normal. I have an IS350 RWD and sometimes it vibrate more than normal in a stop -- but not very often. Does your RPM move around or idle too low?
Old 01-18-15, 02:39 PM
RussZTT
Driver

Thanks everyone! Yes the car does have aftermarket springs. The motor has been rebuilt my Lexus with new rings about 6 months ago. When the RPMS are around 1k or above its fine but lower than that it vibrates. Can't be the fan as I can put in neutral rpms go up and it stops. That's why I was thinking motor mounts since the vibration is rpm dependant.
Old 01-18-15, 07:07 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the dreaded lowering AWD wobble. My '07 AWD 250 doesn't have it at stock height so I'm hoping I can get a decent drop this summer and be okay.
Old 01-19-15, 07:20 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

25" from the top of the fender in the wheel well to the ground is supposed to be the safe zone.... kills tire gap for sure. Vibrations may/ may not happen ^
Old 01-19-15, 02:39 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision
25" from the top of the fender in the wheel well to the ground is supposed to be the safe zone.... kills tire gap for sure. Vibrations may/ may not happen ^
That's just it though..."may or may not happen". We have guys here that have IS's on stock suspension/height that have the wobble/vibration, so maybe the OP has a car that is more sensitive to that. I would continually raise the car little by little and see if the vibration goes away before you reach stock height. You will probably have your answer then, but that will be a huge PITA.
Old 01-19-15, 02:42 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like it can be engine mount, or transmission mount..
Might want to get them checked out before driving hard on the car...
Old 01-19-15, 06:24 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RussZTT
Thanks everyone! Yes the car does have aftermarket springs. The motor has been rebuilt my Lexus with new rings about 6 months ago. When the RPMS are around 1k or above its fine but lower than that it vibrates. Can't be the fan as I can put in neutral rpms go up and it stops. That's why I was thinking motor mounts since the vibration is rpm dependant.
I would definitely check motor and transmission mounts then since they (Lexus) rebuilt your motor.
Old 01-19-15, 06:57 PM
RussZTT
Driver

Thanks fellas for your input and the welcome! Yeah slowly raising the car up little by little is to much. First thing I'm going to do is check the mounts. If that isn't the issue then I'll have to live with it.

Driving the car hard isn't an option. I got on it tonight and was like...thats it? But I guess that's because I have daily driven Twin Turbo Cobra putting down 842rwhp on pump gas that im used to

Old 01-19-15, 08:02 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

whoa I'm not much of an american car fan, but that turbo setup is appetizing......
Old 01-19-15, 09:50 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Sounds like it can be engine mount, or transmission mount..
Might want to get them checked out before driving hard on the car...
WHS+1. Not sure if this related to the suspension since the vibration goes away when not in gears.
Also, allow me to be the smart **** and say that you should have gotten the IS350 especially seeing that you are from FL and the needs for AWD.

Quick Reply: Vibration when stopped?