IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it "normal" to have uneven gaps on the hood edges?

Old 01-13-15, 10:38 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it "normal" to have uneven gaps on the hood edges?

Looking at buying an 07 350 but I was looking closely at this picture and it looks like the hood isn't sitting on the car evenly. Notice the gaps are uneven on the sides, and the bottom looks wider at the edges than in the center. Every other photo I've seen of these cars is perfectly straight. Should I be concerned about this?

Old 01-13-15, 10:51 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It could be just the angle the picture was taken at.
Old 01-13-15, 11:02 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by lysis250
It could be just the angle the picture was taken at.
I thought so too but I looked at a few other pictures and they all show the gap discrepancies
Old 01-13-15, 11:49 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

open up the hood and see if the screws have been tampered with. check carfax or see if paint doesn't match.
Old 01-14-15, 12:27 AM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I always look for uneven gaps in the hood when buying cars. It tells me that it has been replaced at some point due to a accident.
Old 01-14-15, 12:47 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zen470
I always look for uneven gaps in the hood when buying cars. It tells me that it has been replaced at some point due to a accident.
I'm aware that it's been in an accident or 2 based on the carfax and lexus vehicle history report. Do you think that should dissuade me from buying it? I'd have it checked out by a mechanic or lexus dealership prior to purchase, and of course I would point that out so they could look for any damage or concerning items.

I'd rather buy a "cleaner" car but I've been watching the market for months and there just isn't many is 350's that come available in my area for some reason.
Old 01-14-15, 05:57 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That does happen many times when the car has been tampered with. The body shops can't align it perfectly. Leads me to believe it was in a front end accident. Maybe minor if air bags didn't deploy.
Old 01-14-15, 10:05 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is 8 years old, if it's priced right and what you want, I wouldn't let the gaps stop you from purchasing the car. Like others have said, body shops don't always align everything perfectly.
Old 01-14-15, 10:14 AM
3sm1l
Rookie

A body Shop can re align it right?
Old 01-14-15, 10:20 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZero
I'm aware that it's been in an accident or 2 based on the carfax and lexus vehicle history report. Do you think that should dissuade me from buying it? I'd have it checked out by a mechanic or lexus dealership prior to purchase, and of course I would point that out so they could look for any damage or concerning items.

I'd rather buy a "cleaner" car but I've been watching the market for months and there just isn't many is 350's that come available in my area for some reason.
If it was me, I would pass on this one and wait for a cleaner car. The accident would have had to be pretty significant if they had to replace or straighten the hood. I was in a few minor front end accidents with my 2008 IS350 and the only parts that really needed fixing were the front bumper/grill and headlights.
Old 01-14-15, 10:22 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

There are black stop bump rubbers under hood, just turn more tight on the right side, It will lower that side down to even with the fender
Old 01-14-15, 10:52 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I'm impressed with your very good eyes. Very nice detection. I'm going to check my cars to see if it is uneven. My cars have no accident so let's see if they are perfectly straight lol.
Old 01-14-15, 11:21 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sffd103
That does happen many times when the car has been tampered with. The body shops can't align it perfectly. Leads me to believe it was in a front end accident. Maybe minor if air bags didn't deploy.
The carfax report shows that in 2011 when the car had about 47,000 miles on it:
  • Accident Reported
  • It hit a guardrail
  • Moderate to severe left front damage
  • Minor left rear damage reported
  • Airbags did not deploy

In 2009 at about 23,000 miles on it, the Lexus website shows:
  • Steering wheel main shaft, left front wheel damaged, repair bumper and grill issues, right front tire has gouge in it.

And WAYYY earlier in it's life the customer had a bent wheel, some alignment issues, and even one time drove the car off the lot with unsafe tires after the dealership said it was not OK.

Originally Posted by getafewliv
The car is 8 years old, if it's priced right and what you want, I wouldn't let the gaps stop you from purchasing the car. Like others have said, body shops don't always align everything perfectly.
The car is priced right if it didn't have this history in my opinion. But since it does the price isn't as appealing.

Originally Posted by nixx621
If it was me, I would pass on this one and wait for a cleaner car. The accident would have had to be pretty significant if they had to replace or straighten the hood. I was in a few minor front end accidents with my 2008 IS350 and the only parts that really needed fixing were the front bumper/grill and headlights.
I've been looking for months and these cars are surprisingly rare. Especially in the silver/black color combo I want. I'd take the gray mica but prefer tungsten pearl.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow, I'm impressed with your very good eyes. Very nice detection. I'm going to check my cars to see if it is uneven. My cars have no accident so let's see if they are perfectly straight lol.
Haha, thank man. Surprised I noticed it myself.
Old 01-14-15, 12:34 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Don't let just the fact that odd gapping to lead you away from any certain vehicle; any good body shop can do such adjustments. I had my hood re-sprayed, thus had the hood off of the car. When re-installed the gapping wasn't quite to my liking. I spent my own time re-aligning everything back to spec.

Now about the accidents; I'd pass on it unless it is a "STEAL" of a deal.
Old 01-14-15, 12:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZero
The carfax report shows that in 2011 when the car had about 47,000 miles on it:

Accident Reported
It hit a guardrail
Moderate to severe left front damage
Minor left rear damage reported
Airbags did not deploy

In 2009 at about 23,000 miles on it, the Lexus website shows:

Steering wheel main shaft, left front wheel damaged, repair bumper and grill issues, right front tire has gouge in it.

And WAYYY earlier in it's life the customer had a bent wheel, some alignment issues, and even one time drove the car off the lot with unsafe tires after the dealership said it was not OK.

I would not get it regardless what price for this car unless it is free. This car seems to be in very bad shape and the owner doesn't seem to give a **** about it lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it "normal" to have uneven gaps on the hood edges?