IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First impressions driving in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 01:58 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First impressions driving in snow

Finally got some snow in Chicago few days ago. I have 07 is350 with blizzak winter tires. Tires are old but still have alot of thread left . So we got a couple inches over past few days and I gotta say even with winter tires u ain't going anywhere with traction on. Had to turn off traction and I gotta say alot of slipping and sliding but if u know what ur doing its actually pretty fun lol. Only negative I found is from the brakes. I get alot of kick back from the brake pedal, I can physically feel the brake pedal kicking back against my foot especially if there's alot of salt on the ground. Is that normal? Doesn't always happen..
Old 01-06-15, 02:32 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in NW Indiana and work in the city at the fed prison. Driving these past couple days has been interesting. I have an '07 250 and it's AWD. I have semi new DWS Xtreme Conti's on all four. So far it's been pretty good. Got a little sideways turning on to Ridge Road in Portage, IN the other day and yesterday morning, 94 in Indiana around I-65 was a solid sheet of ice, which no car will do well. Prior to this I had an '06 4Runner Limited (V8/AWD) and that thing was a pain to drive w/ traction ON. Way too much interference and throttle cutting. This IS however, seems to let you have a little fun w/out intruding too much. So far so good. As for the brake pedal kicking, are you sure that's not the ABS surging while you might be hitting some ice?
Old 01-06-15, 02:44 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Sure your not stepping a little hard on the brake getting the abs to kick in? I drive fine with traction off and vsc off as well. Once you get use to driving it there no problem unless your dead stop at hill. I know last year threw a blizzard driving home I pass most car even big 4x4. Snow tires and knowing the car is a plus in snow driving. On my 5th winter season with my 350 hadn't failed me once.
Old 01-06-15, 05:37 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

It might be the abs kicking in.. I'm assuming it's normal then since it's very slippery then the brakes will do that. I'm not really stepping on it too hard, just regular braking.
Old 01-06-15, 09:41 PM
bryan11
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This week was the first time driving the 08 is350 with blizzaks with 80% tread left. Driving on frost and slick roads was okay, but the blizzaks really helped once I got on a couple inches of snow. The ect/snow mode had to be enabled, though, or the rear tires broke loose too easily.

That said, slick roads were still dangerous and speeds had to be kept low enough to keep control. I'm sure I have lots more to learn about the car, but so far it's generally good.
Old 01-06-15, 11:40 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Yea I mean it's my first time having a rear wheel drive car, let alone one with over 300 horses. Completely different than a front wheel drive car, there simply is no comparison. But like I said earlier if you learn the car and turn off traction and winter tires it's not that bad.
Old 01-07-15, 09:38 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in Alberta, Canada.
We get tons of snow annually. Just gotta drive smart to avoid ruining the nice summer's we have here.
AWD is quite useful here, and its 4x4 stance helps with clearance... (i will be lowering this spring).
She's gonna look hot, not cold like this pic, taken after a hockey game.

Its been -40 Celsius here btw this week
Old 01-07-15, 01:12 PM
vmichelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just got a snow storm here in the Okanagan Valley in Canada - 2 ft in a day. I live in a small city that is not very well prepared for such an aggressive snowfall at once.
Day 1 I didn't make it out of the parking lot of my building. RWD and deep, fluffy snow don't appear to be friends. Had to spend 20 mins digging myself out just to admit defeat and go back into the parkade.
Day 2 (yesterday) most of the streets have been plowed (my street not included). Took some time to play with the car since I've only had it a couple of months and haven't had a chance to get used to how it handles in winter. The key I found is to be VERY light on the throttle. My previous car was a FWD Honda Civic (in other words - no horsepower). Backing off on the gas has allowed me to get anywhere on compact snow and ice with minimal slipping.

I've also been making use of the "Snow" button. From what I can tell it puts the car in a higher gearing and has allowed me to get much better traction. I've been debating disabling traction control because I thought that was initially my issue, but with the amount of ice we get here with temperature fluctuations I'm better off leaving it on.
Old 01-07-15, 03:35 PM
marks0008
Driver School Candidate

I just got Blizzaks thrown on the other day, after trying to drive through 2 snow storms this winter in minneapolis, I decided I was crazy not having them because I am RWD. They make a heck of a difference, I don't notice anywhere near the slippage I was getting with the all seasons. It has been rediculously cold here as well lately.
Old 01-07-15, 05:34 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nixcision
I live in Alberta, Canada.
We get tons of snow annually. Just gotta drive smart to avoid ruining the nice summer's we have here.
AWD is quite useful here, and its 4x4 stance helps with clearance... (i will be lowering this spring).
She's gonna look hot, not cold like this pic, taken after a hockey game.

Its been -40 Celsius here btw this week
I'm in Calgary as well --- too cold