IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Too good to be true? IS 350 Price

Old 01-05-15, 07:49 PM
Div
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too good to be true? IS 350 Price

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year! First time poster on CL, but long time member on other forums. I put a deposit down on the IS350 below. Read everything I needed to on DaveGS4's AWESOME Used IS Buyers Guide Thread. Registered the VIN on the Lexus Driver's site as well, so I have that plus the CarFax.

http://startoyota.net/Queens/For-Sal...-Car/34165878/

I test drove the car and inspected it over the weekend. Drove great, though it was raining/snowing, so I didnt really get to open her up. Doesn't look like it was previously flooded.

-Tried cold starting, no weird noise.
-CarFax says Recall may NOT have been performed.
-No rust under the seats, or on bracket bolts, under the spare tire, or wiring under dash.
-Interior does look almost TOO clean for a 2007 though. Then again, very low miles for a 2007.

Negatives:
-Non-OEM wheels, and 1 has a badly bent lip (should be fixable, if not, time for IS-F wheels )
- Rear bumper, center bottom, is dented inward (like it was backed into something) Does not look to serious and I might even be able to pry out the dent.

I have one simple questions before I go and pick up the car on Wednesday....Is this price too good to be true? Or is this just a damn good deal?

Appreciate any input and tips! Hope to officially join the club on Wednesday!
Old 01-05-15, 08:09 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick search on KBB using their zip code shows a "fair purchase price" of over $22k. Keep in mind I selected the luxury package based on nav and heated and ventilated seats, but not sure this is the correct package for this car. Mileage is amazing for an '07! Recalls that haven't been performed can be answered by a quick call to Lexus corporate. As for the wheels, I have to say ouch! The choice of wheel is ridiculous and I would be alarmed in regards to the taste of the previous owner (not to mention their attention to proper maintenance). With that said, the car is obviously priced below it's value, if it is what it appears to be. Have to say that I'm surprised the ad didn't show the damage to the rear bumper cover that you mentioned. I would be cautious for sure. Cars are over priced 90% of the time....

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/is/2007-lex...&mileage=43074
Old 01-05-15, 08:15 PM
Div
Driver School Candidate

I checked KBB and NADA Guides. Both show that this car is selling for significantly lower than its book value. That's why I'm skeptical. The Sales guy said it's aggressively priced because they have zero room left on their 5 lots and need this car gone ASAP...that's interesting because none of the other Lexus are as aggressively priced.
Old 01-05-15, 08:15 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks too cheap for the mileage.... Either something is wrong with it or it is a steal.

Btw I have a 07 with even less mileage than that. I am the original owner and the interior looks truly showroom ready. The car is always waxed. So just because it is old, doesn't mean it should look like crap.

Minor dent like that might cost $1000. IT was what the shop quoted my sister when her bumper was just dented at like 5 mph by a car behind her. Those rims are hideous anyways so you might be better off replacing them all.

Last edited by darkdream; 01-05-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:29 PM
Div
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply, DarkDream. Have you had any odd issues with your 07 that I should look out for?
Old 01-05-15, 08:59 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

The biggest problem for me is that wheel. how long has it been like that? How many miles have been driven with that wheel? Has it caused damaged to anything else on the hub. IMO the price is fair for the mileage but the dents and wheels even it all out. I can't believe they can sell a car on a dealership lot with a wheel as messed up as that. Good luck but it seems like they just don't wanna deal with the problems and are trying to find someone to pick it up at a cost slightly above theirs.
Old 01-05-15, 09:21 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Div
Thanks for the reply, DarkDream. Have you had any odd issues with your 07 that I should look out for?
No odd issues. The person who owned that car might have not done regular maintenance with a low mileage car like brake fluid flush ever 3 years, etc. I change my oil out every 9-12 months with amsoil signature series despite how little mileage I put on.
Old 01-05-15, 10:15 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Car looks like it was pretty well taken care of as it was maintained at the dealer until 20k miles. Then most likely sold and nothing shows up until now. Doesnt look like theres many previous problems from what I saw.
(^Information was obtained through dealership records.) Still get a copy of the carfax from the dealership at least.

Just some headlight bulb replacements and hilariously enough a bent wheel from the original owner.

This just might be a steal but id make sure to look at it on a rack before you buy to see if anything else is bent suspension wise. Id also look at the paint to see if its been in any accidents and repaired.
Old 01-05-15, 10:23 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

That looks like a great deal with that low of mileage! Maybe try to talk them down another $1000 or so for new wheels and bumper repair. I lived in Queens and 43K miles in NYC and bent wheels/bumper damage is the norm over there. Pretty sure I still have teeth loose from hitting potholes up there.lol

What's the service history on the Lexus Drivers website look like as there should have been many service campaigns done on it as 7 were done on the IS350 I just bought with the big ones being the valve spring and cam shaft gear replacements.

Pretty sure that IS350 has the Luxury package with the memory seat buttons showing in a couple pics which was a $4200 upgrade and that doesn't include the cost of the Nav upgrade and can't tell by the pics if it has the Mark Levinson upgrade.

Used car prices are down compared to a few years ago with so many people buying new with interest rates so low.For a matter of reference I just paid $14500 last month for an 07 with 100k miles with a complete lexus dealership service history ,clean 2 owner carfax and always a salt free southern car without a spec of rust. It is fully loaded with Luxury package and the ML Nav.
Lexus puts really good leather in these that still looks new at 100k and with the dash and door panel warranty replacements coming up,will be like new again. The front bumper and hood are rough and has a lot of rock nicks that is normal for down here with the highway miles and why I paid $1500 less then asking price.
Old 01-05-15, 11:07 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Oh wait I just realize the OP is in NJ, so the car could have been used heavily in city driving in NYC, meaning it may not a "true" mileage car as you would find as say Texas or Socal.
Old 01-05-15, 11:35 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Would you feel better if they had the same paperwork, looks, rim etc. but charged you $19000 instead?
Because the next car with similar paperwork that DOES cost $19000 won't necessarily be in any better shape. It's a used car, and there are risks. I bought my 2007 1 1/2 yrs ago with about 47k miles on it, and paid less than book price. It had been in 2 accidents where damage in both were > cosmetic but < structural. Car has run great since I got it. I have replaced the battery though.

The lack of paperwork about oil changes and such for 20k+ miles is enough to make one pause, but that doesn't mean the person didn't get it changed, just that he didn't do it at the dealership. BTW I don't actually see that the oil was changed, just going by what I read in the comments above. I do see something about only 1 owner.

I'd have a mechanic you trust have a look at the suspension parts in particular. Who know where that rim actually was when it got damaged.
Old 01-06-15, 02:08 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go test drive this car...
2007 Lexus is350
Mileage 36k
Price $14,500

http://www.roadmasters2.com/mobile/2...Rof6uhxrkYw%3d
Old 01-06-15, 05:17 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
Oh wait I just realize the OP is in NJ, so the car could have been used heavily in city driving in NYC, meaning it may not a "true" mileage car as you would find as say Texas or Socal.
True mileage? Most people don't drive in NYC they cab,bus or train. He lived in a area where it get snow. So most with RWD don't drive it during winter time garage or sit it.
Old 01-06-15, 07:20 AM
Div
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies so far! Great info.

As for this below listing, pictures show navi and backup camera (lux package), but the equipment page doesn't list that the car has it. I'll call them to confirm, but that's also a great deal.

Originally Posted by andy350
Go test drive this car...
2007 Lexus is350
Mileage 36k
Price $14,500

http://www.roadmasters2.com/mobile/2...Rof6uhxrkYw%3d
Old 01-06-15, 07:30 AM
jallow33
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with the one andy350 mentioned

both have the lux package with the shade and headlight washer, but the other one has the factory wheels, not those hideous ones

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too good to be true? IS 350 Price