IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 08:42 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?

I'm looking to buy an 07-08 IS350 and am debating between one with the NAV package and one without. Is it even worth getting the NAV system these days? My current car doesn't have a navigation so I'm used to just using my phone. I like the fact that the NAV screen controls a bunch of other stuff besides the navigation, but I could live without it to save some coin, I think. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-15, 08:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have nav on both of my car and find it super convenient for me. It is not like you need it everyday but it is few times when you REALLY need it and it is there for you. You will be very thankful to the nav for those few times that you got lost lol. I like it most is that it keeps all the previous locations, as well as storing various locations for you. You can also see a display of several local restaurant, gas stations, entertainment centers and what not depending on your settings. It NEVER loses any signal in any place even underground parking lot. Finally, when you get lost finding a way to go home, hit up the talk command and say "Home" and you will be golden. The screen should be bigger than any smart phone out there plus the fact that you can pay attention all the times on the road and not struggling with the phone (where you can get a "cell phone" ticket in California, Yes, I got one lol) So yeah GET NAV!!!!
Old 01-02-15, 08:56 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have nav on both of my car and find it super convenient for me. It is not like you need it everyday but it is few times when you REALLY need it and it is there for you. You will be very thankful to the nav for those few times that you got lost lol. I like it most is that it keeps all the previous locations, as well as storing various locations for you. You can also see a display of several local restaurant, gas stations, entertainment centers and what not... It NEVER loses any signal in any place even underground parking lot. Finally, when you get lost finding a way to go home, hit up the talk command and say "Home" and you will be golden. So yeah GET IT!!!!
Thanks. I can do all of that with my phone though which is why I brought this up. The IS that I'm looking at with NAV is an 07 and the one without is an 08 with 9000 less miles. I heard that the 08's handle better? Not sure if that's true. So I guess I'm debating between an 07 with NAV or an 08 without...
Old 01-02-15, 09:03 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never use the navigstion but am really glad I got it because of the touch screen. It just makes the car look and feel like a modern luxury car. Plus u use the screen to control radio and climate. And is nice to instantly pull up a map.
Old 01-02-15, 09:06 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those two years are the same suspension wise so there's no difference in handling. You could purchase an F Sprot rear seat bar to help improve handling on turns.
Old 01-02-15, 09:11 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never use the navi. Always using phone since it has live traffic and easy to make changes.

Phone mounted using a magnet mount, best $20 spent on the car.
Old 01-02-15, 09:11 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navigation works still when the phone doesn't..
Old 01-02-15, 09:16 AM
vmichelle
Driver School Candidate

Think about why kind of driving you'll be doing. I've been lost before outside of cell reception without Nav...not a fun experience. If you're driving anywhere remote the Nav is a no brainer.
Old 01-02-15, 09:22 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by vmichelle
Think about why kind of driving you'll be doing. I've been lost before outside of cell reception without Nav...not a fun experience. If you're driving anywhere remote the Nav is a no brainer.
I rarely travel in areas without cell coverage. Sure it happens but it's barely ever. The NAV does look a lot better though.
Old 01-02-15, 09:47 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both years IS will handle exactly the same because they share same suspension. However, the car interior looks a lot better with the nav than without nav based on my personal preference. Again, like me and others have said, the Nav on the IS never loses its signal anywhere even in underground parking, or high up on the mountain where your cell phone probably loses its signal there.

Ultimately, you pick what you like lol but you can't go wrong with either car.
Old 01-02-15, 10:13 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mainly use my nav screen when i'm looking for detours around my current position. That is when I find it most helpful. Otherwise I still use my iphone for directions and I've had nav in all my cars. Having the nav screen also makes it easier to control other functions in the car as well...so even if you don't use the nav screen itself you will use the other functions pretty often IMO.
Old 01-02-15, 11:02 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Phone mounted using a magnet mount, best $20 spent on the car.
Where did you get it? What make/model is it?
Old 01-02-15, 11:16 AM
Adidas316
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Nav if I know the destination before I leave to the place I need to be. If i do a search on the phone Ill just the phone navigation since its pretty much a click on the directions tab and the voice command goes straight to bluetooth. Much more convenient since our Navs don't let us input while the car is driving. Not that I should be searching for destinations on my phone while driving anyways.
Old 01-02-15, 11:30 AM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Had it in past never really used it ... just use phone .. it can do turn by turn guidance just as good if not better.
Old 01-02-15, 11:44 AM
specie
Driver

I find the '08 navigation quite crappy. Would much rather use my phone.

Quick Reply: It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?