IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS350, 75k, at a dealer w/ small cosmetic issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 10:40 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS350, 75k, at a dealer w/ small cosmetic issues

Looking at a 2008 IS350 with about 75k miles. The car has a few good dings on the bumpers, some curb rash on the wheels, some minor cosmetic issues on the interior. The cosmetic issues worry me about the previous owner -- if its dinged up a bit maybe they didnt care much about the car -- I plan to have the car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase, but what are the things I should look at most closely prior to forking over the cash?
Old 12-26-14, 11:06 AM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mkstvnsn
Looking at a 2008 IS350 with about 75k miles. The car has a few good dings on the bumpers, some curb rash on the wheels, some minor cosmetic issues on the interior. The cosmetic issues worry me about the previous owner -- if its dinged up a bit maybe they didnt care much about the car -- I plan to have the car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase, but what are the things I should look at most closely prior to forking over the cash?
Join up with Lexus Drivers website http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and input the VIN number like you own it to check for previous service history . It takes a few hours for it to register before you can check the service history usually . You can delete the VIN and that vehicle if you decide not to buy it as many vehicles as you look at. That and a Carfax which is what I did.

There have been a bunch of Service campaigns or camps as they are known on these with the notable ones being the valve spring and cam gear replacement ones . Mine has had 7 camps done and showed a good service history as being my main thing to look for as most 6-7 year old cars get minor cosmetic unless somebody is **** about it .

Hope that helps as I just spent the last month or so til I found what I wanted.
Old 12-26-14, 11:29 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by harper7
Join up with Lexus Drivers website http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and input the VIN number like you own it to check for previous service history . It takes a few hours for it to register before you can check the service history usually . You can delete the VIN and that vehicle if you decide not to buy it as many vehicles as you look at. That and a Carfax which is what I did.

There have been a bunch of Service campaigns or camps as they are known on these with the notable ones being the valve spring and cam gear replacement ones . Mine has had 7 camps done and showed a good service history as being my main thing to look for as most 6-7 year old cars get minor cosmetic unless somebody is **** about it .

Hope that helps as I just spent the last month or so til I found what I wanted.
Wow, thanks for this. I just pulled it up and it looks like the car had some work done in July of this year. Below is all the data. Looks like the water pump was leaking and they recommend replacement. It says that they replaced the water pump assembly -- is that different than the actual water pump? Should I pass on this car? Looks like it had some issues that the previous owner tried to fix prior to selling or trading it in. Before the 2014 records the last date on the Lexus site is from 2011 and 20k miles earlier for an oil change.

Dealer Reported 07/21/2014
PERFORMED INSPECTION FOUND WATER PUMP LEAKING, RECOMMEND WATER PUMP WITH DRIVE BELT REPLACEMENT AN - **CUSTOMER REPORTS AT COLD STARTUP ENGINE IS MAKING A ABNORMAL NOISE. ONCE ENGINE WARMS UP NOISE GOES AWAY. LASTS ABOUT 5 - 10MIN CHECK AND ADVISE. - 74183 0 PERFORMED INSPECTION FOUND WATER PUMP LEAKING, RECOMMEND WATER PUMP WITH DRIVE BELT REPLACE AND RECHECK.

REPLACE CAMSHAFT TIMING GEAR ON IS - PERFORM DLG CAMPAIGN - PERFORMED DLG CAMPAIGN, 3528HB - 74183 3528HB 670 PERFORMED DLG SSC.

REPLACED WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY AND DRIVE BELT, TOP OFF ENGINE COOLANT AND BLEED COOLING SYSTEM. RECH - RECOMMEND WATER PUMP WITH DRIVE BELT REPLACE AND RECHECK - 74183 460 REPLACED WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY AND DRIVE BELT, TOP OFF ENGINE COOLANT AND BLEED COOLING SYSTEM. RECHECKED AND FOUND NORMAL AT THIS TIME.

OIL FILTER CHANGE - RESET SERVICE LIGHT - INSPECT TIRE CONDITION SET PRESSURES - TOP OFF FLUIDS - PERFORM - *BASIC PACKAGE OIL CHANGE *CHANGE ENGINE OIL OIL FILTERRESET SERVICE INTERVAL INDICATOR *PERFORM COURTESY WASH - 74183 50 PERFORM OIL & FILTER CHANGE, CHECK TIRE PRESSURES, TOP OFF FLUID LEVELS. TIRES FRONT 7/32ND, REAR 6/32ND. BRAKES FRONT 9MM, REAR 8MM.
Old 12-26-14, 12:35 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Wow, thanks for this. I just pulled it up and it looks like the car had some work done in July of this year. Below is all the data. Looks like the water pump was leaking and they recommend replacement. It says that they replaced the water pump assembly -- is that different than the actual water pump? Should I pass on this car? Looks like it had some issues that the previous owner tried to fix prior to selling or trading it in. Before the 2014 records the last date on the Lexus site is from 2011 and 20k miles earlier for an oil change.
Water pumps going pretty early on these seem to be the norm as mine was done at 89k and glad it was taken care of already . At least it was done on that 08 IS350 at Lexus dealership and on the history where they should have checked for any other open campaign items as pretty sure mother Toyota pays them to do them and they make money.

As for the lapse in the service history , maybe they took it to a non lexus shop or like me being a mechanic did their own work even though I do document my work it in my service log. I also have 2010 4Runner that I only had in the dealer one time for warranty work on the very last day of warranty for a leaking transfer case seal.Some dealership mechanics in general tend to scare me . lol

As far as should you pass on this car. Without me seeing,driving and doing my own research I couldn't make that call for you. Used cars out of warranty are always a gamble but Toyota and Lexus are reknowned for long term reliability and your best bet to win the gamble.

Here are all the camps and major work done on my 2007 IS350 that just turned over 100k miles but there are 5 more pages showing a complete Lexus dealer service history only for it's entire southern salt free life and what I was looking for.Dings ,minor cosmetic and interior wear I can take care of and was not my priority. I expect these IS350's will easily last for 300k miles or more if maintenance is kept up as Lexus takes care of any known potential problems.

From first to last in it's history......
SERVICE CAMPAIGN - PERFORM 9LA SERVICE CAMPAIGN - FUEL DELIVERY PIPE REPLACEMENT - COMPLETED 9LA SERVICE CAMPAIGN

9LG SSC - PERFORM 9LG POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE SAFTEY CAMPAIGN - SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN - COMPLETED ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND FLOOR SURFACE MODIFICATION COMPLETED ECU UPDATE TO INCLUDE BRAKE OVERIDE PROGRAM PER SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN 9LG

ALE SERVICE CAMPAIGN - PERFORM ALE VALVE SPRING CAMPAIGN - . - COMPLETED ALE SERVICE CAMPAIGN

RATTLING NOISE WHEN START CAR - PARTS IN - BULLETIN L - SB - 0156 - 08 - OP CODE EG7027 T106 T2 40 REPLACED CAM GEARS

BLA SSC - PERFORM BLA SERVICE CAMPAIGN FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR - . - COMPLETED BLA SERVICE CAMPAIGN REPLACED SENSOR GASKET

REPLACE CAMSHAFT TIMING GEAR ON IS - SAFETY RECALL DLG REMEDY NOTICE - CERTAIN 2006 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR IS350 CERTAIN 2010 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR IS350C AND CERTAIN 2007 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR GS350 VEHICLES - 2GR - FSE INTAKE VVT ACTUATOR GEAR. - SSC - 89055 3528HB 670 COMPLETED DLG CAMPAIGN

REPLACE INTERNAL TRUNK RELEASE LEVER - PRODUCT UPDATE DLB - REMEDY NOTICE - CERTAIN 2006 TO EARLY 2013 MY IS 250 IS 350 & IS - F CERTAIN 2007 TO EARLY 2013 MY ES 350 & ES 300H & CERTAIN 2013 MY GS 350 & GS 450H VEHICLES - INTERNAL TRUNK RELEASE LEVER (HANDLE). - SSC - 89055 3611AA 030 COMPLETED DLB CAMPAIGN

REMOVE SERRATION PATTERN & INSTALL NEW WIPER ARM NUTS - SAFETY RECALL DLA - REMEDY NOTICE - 2006 THROUGH EARLY 2012 MODEL YEAR IS 250 AND IS 350 2010 THROUGH EARLY 2012 MODEL YEAR IS250C AND IS 350C AND 2008 THROUGH 2011 MODEL YEAR IS - F FRONT WIPER ARM NUT. - SSC - 89055 3524AA 060 COMPLETED DLA CAMPAIGN

REPLACE WATER PUMP - 89062 MILES FOUND WATER PUMP WAS LEAKING FROM FRONT BEARING. REPLACED WATER PUMP TO RESOLVE ISSUE.
Old 12-26-14, 01:14 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by harper7
Water pumps going pretty early on these seem to be the norm as mine was done at 89k and glad it was taken care of already . At least it was done on that 08 IS350 at Lexus dealership and on the history where they should have checked for any other open campaign items as pretty sure mother Toyota pays them to do them and they make money.

As for the lapse in the service history , maybe they took it to a non lexus shop or like me being a mechanic did their own work even though I do document my work it in my service log. I also have 2010 4Runner that I only had in the dealer one time for warranty work on the very last day of warranty for a leaking transfer case seal.Some dealership mechanics in general tend to scare me . lol

As far as should you pass on this car. Without me seeing,driving and doing my own research I couldn't make that call for you. Used cars out of warranty are always a gamble but Toyota and Lexus are reknowned for long term reliability and your best bet to win the gamble.

Here are all the camps and major work done on my 2007 IS350 that just turned over 100k miles but there are 5 more pages showing a complete Lexus dealer service history only for it's entire southern salt free life and what I was looking for.Dings ,minor cosmetic and interior wear I can take care of and was not my priority. I expect these IS350's will easily last for 300k miles or more if maintenance is kept up as Lexus takes care of any known potential problems.

From first to last in it's history......
SERVICE CAMPAIGN - PERFORM 9LA SERVICE CAMPAIGN - FUEL DELIVERY PIPE REPLACEMENT - COMPLETED 9LA SERVICE CAMPAIGN

9LG SSC - PERFORM 9LG POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE SAFTEY CAMPAIGN - SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN - COMPLETED ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND FLOOR SURFACE MODIFICATION COMPLETED ECU UPDATE TO INCLUDE BRAKE OVERIDE PROGRAM PER SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN 9LG

ALE SERVICE CAMPAIGN - PERFORM ALE VALVE SPRING CAMPAIGN - . - COMPLETED ALE SERVICE CAMPAIGN

RATTLING NOISE WHEN START CAR - PARTS IN - BULLETIN L - SB - 0156 - 08 - OP CODE EG7027 T106 T2 40 REPLACED CAM GEARS

BLA SSC - PERFORM BLA SERVICE CAMPAIGN FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR - . - COMPLETED BLA SERVICE CAMPAIGN REPLACED SENSOR GASKET

REPLACE CAMSHAFT TIMING GEAR ON IS - SAFETY RECALL DLG REMEDY NOTICE - CERTAIN 2006 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR IS350 CERTAIN 2010 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR IS350C AND CERTAIN 2007 TO 2011 MODEL YEAR GS350 VEHICLES - 2GR - FSE INTAKE VVT ACTUATOR GEAR. - SSC - 89055 3528HB 670 COMPLETED DLG CAMPAIGN

REPLACE INTERNAL TRUNK RELEASE LEVER - PRODUCT UPDATE DLB - REMEDY NOTICE - CERTAIN 2006 TO EARLY 2013 MY IS 250 IS 350 & IS - F CERTAIN 2007 TO EARLY 2013 MY ES 350 & ES 300H & CERTAIN 2013 MY GS 350 & GS 450H VEHICLES - INTERNAL TRUNK RELEASE LEVER (HANDLE). - SSC - 89055 3611AA 030 COMPLETED DLB CAMPAIGN

REMOVE SERRATION PATTERN & INSTALL NEW WIPER ARM NUTS - SAFETY RECALL DLA - REMEDY NOTICE - 2006 THROUGH EARLY 2012 MODEL YEAR IS 250 AND IS 350 2010 THROUGH EARLY 2012 MODEL YEAR IS250C AND IS 350C AND 2008 THROUGH 2011 MODEL YEAR IS - F FRONT WIPER ARM NUT. - SSC - 89055 3524AA 060 COMPLETED DLA CAMPAIGN

REPLACE WATER PUMP - 89062 MILES FOUND WATER PUMP WAS LEAKING FROM FRONT BEARING. REPLACED WATER PUMP TO RESOLVE ISSUE.
Thanks. Appreciated. This might be a dumb question, but does this read as though the water pump was replaced? It says:

REPLACED WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY AND DRIVE BELT, TOP OFF ENGINE COOLANT AND BLEED COOLING SYSTEM. RECH - RECOMMEND WATER PUMP WITH DRIVE BELT REPLACE AND RECHECK - 74183 460 REPLACED WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY AND DRIVE BELT, TOP OFF ENGINE COOLANT AND BLEED COOLING SYSTEM. RECHECKED AND FOUND NORMAL AT THIS TIME.

So in the same bulletin they say the water pump assembly was replaced but then recommend that the water pump be replaced. Is the actual water pump included as part of the water pump assembly? Im just confused if they actually replaced the water pump or not since it reads like they are still recommending that the work be done.
Old 12-26-14, 01:33 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Thanks. Appreciated. This might be a dumb question, but does this read as though the water pump was replaced? It says:

So in the same bulletin they say the water pump assembly was replaced but then recommend that the water pump be replaced. Is the actual water pump included as part of the water pump assembly? Im just confused if they actually replaced the water pump or not since it reads like they are still recommending that the work be done.
That's just the terminology written by the service writer and all the same thing . The water pump is an assembly technically I guess as there are couple of o-rings and a gasket that usually gets changed with it but most people just say water pump.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-14, 02:09 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What are they asking? Just curious as I plan to sell mine within the next 12 months or so...
Old 12-26-14, 02:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The car's almost 8 years old. It's going to have minor cosmetic issues. Have your mechanic look at it, get a car fax, and check the service history. Maybe you can get the dealer to take care of the curb rash before you buy.
Old 12-26-14, 03:03 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

bring a paint meter with you to tell if the car was re-sprayed.