IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seats killing my back

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 08:38 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seats killing my back

I bought this car mid-summer, and on shorter drives never have any back problems. 2011 is250 awd, now 55k on the clock.

However we have started making longer trips, 3-4 hours each way 2-3 times/month now for family reasons. Part way through, around 2 hours my lower back starts to burn. No amount of stretching resolves it. I've played with the seat settings and it feels just as good as my other cars for a while.

I am in good shape, not over weight and in neither my Acura or dodge do I have these types of problems. I feel the seats are similarly setup. Anyone else have this problem?

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-14, 09:04 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Try one of those higher end portable back massagers that plug into the cigarette outlet.
Old 12-21-14, 11:18 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by robtwo
I bought this car mid-summer, and on shorter drives never have any back problems. 2011 is250 awd, now 55k on the clock.

However we have started making longer trips, 3-4 hours each way 2-3 times/month now for family reasons. Part way through, around 2 hours my lower back starts to burn. No amount of stretching resolves it. I've played with the seat settings and it feels just as good as my other cars for a while.

I am in good shape, not over weight and in neither my Acura or dodge do I have these types of problems. I feel the seats are similarly setup. Anyone else have this problem?

Thoughts?
I drive 30k miles a year for work in my IS. After years of INTENSE (some days it was a 10/10) lower back/hip flexor pain and 3 bouts with sciatica that left me unable to walk for 1-3 days I finally found the solution.

Get a regular-sized bath towel that is NOT one of those super-thick ones.

Hold it straight up with the long end running up and down. Fold it halfway top to bottom....then halfway again the same way....then fold that length-wise into thirds. Place this on the seat cushion towards the back...sit on it. It will be about 12 inches wide and 7" long.

I did this on recommendation of a back surgeon (I was almost at the point of having to have surgery the pain was so intense for so many years) in Jan 2013. SInce Jan 2013 I have had ZERO sciatica issues....and my back pain stays constantly around a 1-2 now.

I realize it sounds absurd....but it literally changed my life.

If you need a photo or anything let me know.

The problem is that sport seats are angled on a large downslope backwards....and that causes a very large abnormal load on the lower back.

I'm 36, play tennis, 5'11 and 170lbs...so I'm not overweight or anything.

Hope it helps you....
Old 12-21-14, 01:00 PM
robtwo
Rookie

I would love a picture thank you!
Old 12-21-14, 06:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Perhaps a seat-swap would be a good idea? A thread recently posted about a member installing 2013 GS 350 F-sport seats into his 2IS.
Old 12-21-14, 06:44 PM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Perhaps a seat-swap would be a good idea? A thread recently posted about a member installing 2013 GS 350 F-sport seats into his 2IS.
How does one do that for cheap? Anything costly and I sell this car.

I've had sports cars before that didn't cause this problem. Maybe it's age?
Old 12-21-14, 08:13 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one do that for cheap? Anything costly and I sell this car.

I've had sports cars before that didn't cause this problem. Maybe it's age?
I would have to agree that I'm having similar issues with my IS the seats are just not that comfy for me. My last cars were S2000 and WRX STI and they were super comfy. My wife has a Mazda CX5 with leather seats and they are so much more comfortable than my IS seats. I think I prefer harder seats which is the case with the mentioned cars - S2000, CX5 and WRX STI. Oh well not enough reason for me to sell my IS. I'm athletic 5'-8" 150 pounds for info.
Old 12-21-14, 09:05 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Agree competly, personally I think that if they had more bolstering on the sides they'd be more comfortable. It's a sad day that a dodge srt has better seats then a lexus.
Old 12-22-14, 06:39 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06350F
Agree competly, personally I think that if they had more bolstering on the sides they'd be more comfortable. It's a sad day that a dodge srt has better seats then a lexus.
It might help but I think the entire design of the seat might be lacking. My MDX, TL, And RL seats all feel/felt better, while having mixed levels of bolstering. Heck my MDX seats even feel sportier.

I've had an S2k which had very sporty seats and 10+ hours were without problem.

The dodge is a lot more car and the seats impressive, along with a lot else.

Maybe it comes down to the fact I bought a luxury Corolla?

We have a big road trip over Christmas so hopefully I get the towel thing straighten out.

The car has only dropped a few grand since I bought it....
Old 12-22-14, 08:07 AM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might help but I think the entire design of the seat might be lacking. My MDX, TL, And RL seats all feel/felt better, while having mixed levels of bolstering. Heck my MDX seats even feel sportier.

I've had an S2k which had very sporty seats and 10+ hours were without problem.

The dodge is a lot more car and the seats impressive, along with a lot else.

Maybe it comes down to the fact I bought a luxury Corolla?

We have a big road trip over Christmas so hopefully I get the towel thing straighten out.

The car has only dropped a few grand since I bought it....
Yikes, hoping my soon to be bought IS350 isnt like this, coming from Audi and Subaru I have really enjoyed my seats on long commutes. Are Lexus' seats made by Recaro? Maybe the gs350-f seats are the solution to this problem..
Old 12-22-14, 09:24 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't know but I had mine for 6yrs and I take long trip here and there. No issues on my back I'm 5'5 140 slim frame lol.
Old 12-23-14, 09:52 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Maybe you have poor posture and/or a weak back. I use to have back pain when I first for my IS350 8 years ago on long trips, but went away after I started exercising (dead-lifting and squatting heavy). For reference I am 5 foot 9 and I use to be 130 pounds and I am now 185+ pounds with under 9 percent bodyfat).
Old 12-23-14, 11:22 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I would love a picture thank you!
Just a folded up towel....

I look forward to hearing your results.

(SOrry the stupid pic is sideways; I'm not going to try and figure out how to correct it.)
Attached Thumbnails Seats killing my back-img_4443.jpg  
Old 12-24-14, 12:24 AM
itttiramer
Driver School Candidate

It's a sad day that a dodge srt has better seats then a lexus.[img]**************/40Fxbu[/img]
Old 12-24-14, 01:26 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

I find reclining back like I'm in a lazy-boy works....just get sleepy after a while

Quick Reply: Seats killing my back