IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disaster (So Far) Remote Start Install on 09 IS250 - Advice?

Old 12-20-14, 03:10 PM
slun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disaster (So Far) Remote Start Install on 09 IS250 - Advice?

I thought I'd be nice and buy a remote start for my girlfriend's 09 IS250 as she doesn't have a garage and lives in Indiana, where winter sucks, fall and spring aren't much better, and summer lasts about 60 days.

Best Buy had a daily deal on the Viper 4806V, XpressKit DB-ALL module, and installation for just $239. The Geek Squad tech said the IS would need a ball bearing tilt switch for another $10. I scheduled the install for yesterday.

I dropped the car off at 10am. They estimated 4-6 hours. At 10:30pm, they gave up for the day and asked me to come back Tuesday as the supervisor would be there to inspect and double-check everything since the remote start was not working. I believe they left the module plugged in and just popped all the panels back into place so I could go home.

The following things do not work on the car as of now:
- backup camera doesn't come on when in R
- trunk button inside the car doesn't work and keyfob won't open the trunk either - must use actual key
- most of the inside warning lights are on, including the message "check AWD"
- memory seat buttons don't work
- cigarette lighter is lit up but doesn't provide power
- lights indicating the current selected gear are off
- seems like the steering is a bit more difficult

My initial thought was to give them the entire day Tuesday to get everything to 100%, whether that includes the remote start or not. But the more I think about it, the less confidence I have.

So, I have a few questions and am looking for thoughts/ideas/advice.

1. Does anyone have a remote start installed on this model? If so, does it work OK? Which module do you have?
2. Are the above problems simply because the module is still hooked up? Is it possible that the module is programmed incorrectly, causing these errors?
3. If they can't get the remote start working, should I expect these issues to go away once everything is removed and put "back to normal"?
4. Would you even allow them another full day to mess around with it or just tell them to put everything back and forget about it?

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-20-14, 04:34 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They have definitely screwed up something. Most likely there's some blown fuses. Make sure you make it very clear to them that when they are done, even if they have to pay a professional, that you will have everything working 100%. If it takes a long time and a hassle, you want a refund and make a big stink about it.

Personally, this isn't a car I would have let Best buy install a remote starter in, you have some kid screwing with your ignition wires and what not. I have installed 2 remote starters before in much simpler older vehicles and even then, they are still a pain. As much as I would like a remote starter in my Lexus, I am not willing to risk it.
Old 12-20-14, 04:38 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would of paid more for the dealer install on this one. If it were a 96 impala that would be different. Best buy guys I know pretty much learn as they go not all but the 8 that I know did... and their stories scared me clear away. Whatever they messed up they'll fix cause they have to.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 12-20-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 07:10 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I would of paid more for the dealer install on this one. If it were a 96 impala that would be different. Best buy guys I know pretty much learn as they go not all but the 8 that I know did... and their stories scared me clear away. Whatever they messed up they'll fix cause they have to.
Dealer don't do the install themself either. They pass it on to audio/alarm installer and make a profit on they're cut. But to the OP make sure they know what not work and check light on. That they'll née to finish the install and fix all issue. They must be dumb at there job that being said.
Old 12-21-14, 02:11 AM
DarkSeph
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a remote start that works perfectly made by Viper. I have a remote as well as a phone module that lets it start from my phone. It all works fine, but you still have to do the normal pattern when you get in the car.
Old 12-21-14, 11:10 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Not sure about today....but when I had my remote start installed in 2010 it was the most difficult job my installer (who also did the custom-audio setup on my Ferrari and my IS) had ever encountered. And he was Phoenix Gold's Head Installer for many years.

Here is a link to my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rt-system.html

Last edited by 355F1; 12-21-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-21-14, 06:00 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Personally, this isn't a car I would have let Best buy install a remote starter in, you have some kid screwing with your ignition wires and what not. I have installed 2 remote starters before in much simpler older vehicles and even then, they are still a pain. As much as I would like a remote starter in my Lexus, I am not willing to risk it.
Sorry to break it to you but dealer's outsource the work and guess what, chances are it's some kid doing the job...

Theirs a bunch of dealers in Montreal that can get this done fairly easily.

The only thing that I noticed different once a remote starter is installed. The car will beep twice when LOCKING the doors. And once you remote start the car, you'll get in the car and press the brake, the car will shut off at which point you have to press the push start. All other functions remain and work perfectly. I hope that helps.
Old 12-22-14, 09:28 AM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Wow - just had the exact same thing happen with my wife's car (2010 IS250) but with a much better outcome. I purchased the Viper 4115V1D from BestBuy with install and bypass module included. Dropped it off around 2pm and was told 4-6 hours install time and they would call when it was done.

Around 10pm we get the call and the installer says he's having some problems with it. Turns out the interface module wasn't right, so it would crank then turn off immediately. Eventually he tried a different (more expensive) bypass module and got it working the next day.

Seems like everything is working as it should now, but I do hate the fact that you have to re-start the engine once you get in. The installer mentioned that in most other IS250's when he installed the Viper remote starts, the engine would die as soon as you opened a door.

Has anyone had luck installing a remote that does not require you to restart the car once you get in?
Old 12-22-14, 10:35 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by TWillz
Wow - just had the exact same thing happen with my wife's car (2010 IS250) but with a much better outcome. I purchased the Viper 4115V1D from BestBuy with install and bypass module included. Dropped it off around 2pm and was told 4-6 hours install time and they would call when it was done.

Around 10pm we get the call and the installer says he's having some problems with it. Turns out the interface module wasn't right, so it would crank then turn off immediately. Eventually he tried a different (more expensive) bypass module and got it working the next day.

Seems like everything is working as it should now, but I do hate the fact that you have to re-start the engine once you get in. The installer mentioned that in most other IS250's when he installed the Viper remote starts, the engine would die as soon as you opened a door.

Has anyone had luck installing a remote that does not require you to restart the car once you get in?
That's normal as well.

Well on a remote start, you usually put the key in the ignition (once you're in the car) and press the brakes and off you go.

The problem with these push starts, you press the brakes, but the key isn't detected, hence why we're starting it again. It's something that we have to live with for now.

I'm wondering if the NEW IS has this issue or not, since Lexus has a factory remote starter.
Link:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2015/6858.html

Install:
http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT39853142.pdf
Old 12-22-14, 10:57 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Needing to restart the car is not normal. I installed my remote start, and I just get in and drive. Some modules you need to put the car to ON position, but no restart required.
Old 12-22-14, 11:01 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Needing to restart the car is not normal. I installed my remote start, and I just get in and drive. Some modules you need to put the car to ON position, but no restart required.
What do you mean by "ON position"? The engine is already running, the moment I get in and press the brakes, it shuts off. Which module do you have?
Old 12-22-14, 11:51 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the PKALL by pass, which allows you just get in and drive, but you are limited to 30 seconds or so when you unlock the car. There is another popular bypass module, I forgot the name, that you need to put the car into ON position by pressing the Start button twice without pressing on the brake, then it will allow you to drive.
Old 12-22-14, 07:10 PM
slun
Driver School Candidate

Which module did they end up using?

Originally Posted by TWillz

Old 12-22-14, 07:13 PM
slun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
What do you mean by "ON position"? The engine is already running, the moment I get in and press the brakes, it shuts off. Which module do you have?
I think he means you have to press the start/stop button twice once you enter the car. I've seen that posted in other forums. Simply pressing the brake shuts the car off.
Old 12-22-14, 11:08 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I have the PKALL by pass, which allows you just get in and drive, but you are limited to 30 seconds or so when you unlock the car. There is another popular bypass module, I forgot the name, that you need to put the car into ON position by pressing the Start button twice without pressing on the brake, then it will allow you to drive.
Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disaster (So Far) Remote Start Install on 09 IS250 - Advice?