IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 track day fun

Old 12-15-14, 01:11 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

After watching the complete video last night I forgot to post up; but if I could hear correctly, it does not sound like you are using the paddles. Once comfortable with the setup, try using the paddles to help you accelerate more quickly out of the corners PLUS "trans/exhaust braking" too into the corners.
Old 12-15-14, 01:51 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
After watching the complete video last night I forgot to post up; but if I could hear correctly, it does not sound like you are using the paddles. Once comfortable with the setup, try using the paddles to help you accelerate more quickly out of the corners PLUS "trans/engine braking" too into the corners.
Fixed.

I agree. Our transmissions don't have the "G-Force AI" like the newer generation IS350/RC350 to hold gears for us automatically while cornering. When left on auto, the car is usually one gear too high when trying to accelerate through the apex.
Old 12-15-14, 02:33 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a cons to that though, there is a slight delay when you "up shift" before the auto transmission actually "up shift". I experience that delay so much in autocross from 1st to 2nd gear to the point I just put limiter on 2nd gear and let the auto transmission does its works. It works better on autocross withOUT the paddle.

However, on track where you use various gears, the paddle will be more beneficial.

It helps a bit when you "early" shift (not technically shift since it is auto trans) than "late" shift so the delay doesn't affect you hitting that gear limiter

I get to admit the 1st gear to 2nd gear is so damn aggressive in the IS350 lol. I feel like driving a super car I love the 1st gear

Off topic: Anyone of you happen to play Gran Turismo or any sim racing?? If so, I would like to drive with you there too.
Old 12-15-14, 02:59 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
It helps a bit when you "early" shift
This is what ended up doing. If I took a corner in 3rd gear, as soon as I was back at full throttle, I would hit the paddle to up shift. Even though it wouldn't shift till it was ready, I would just get it over with. If you wait till you are at max revs, it won't shift in time.

Last edited by RangerJoe; 12-16-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 01:20 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I run in full auto mode without the paddles in normal mode. I have tried so hard to make the paddles work and they just seem to want to fight with me and do what they want. It seems like there is a 1-2 sec lag in the up shifts so I can never get it to shift when I want. If I push to close to reline the car just shifts for me anyways. Downshifts are a little better but still to much lag. It has been a while since I have given them a chance so may be I just need to try again. I have an 08 IS350, are the new ones any better? God I hope so.

FSportIS this vid is from Buttonwillow, not Streets of Willow or Big Willow. The track is kind of a cross between streets and big willow which makes it a lot of fun. It is about the same length of Big willow (about a mile longer than streets) but has more corners like streets so it is a bit more technical. I think I top out around 115 compared to around 100 @ streets and 120-125 at Big Willow. That day I was running pretty consistent 2:13's all day as the temp stayed around 60-70 all day. Way better then the 100+ temps in the summer which kill the lap times in the afternoon.
Old 12-16-14, 06:22 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

My recommendation would be get completely comfortable with your setup, and then introduce the paddles. Perhaps a week before the track session, start using the paddles on the street so you get use to it. I use them on a daily basis now that I'm used to them. I find myself more smoothly applying power out of corners using the paddles in a selected gear than smashing the gas and forcing the trans to kick-down and getting squirrelly.

Worth a try right?
Old 12-17-14, 09:39 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Do you guys know if the paddles on the new IS is actual shifter vs. the fake shifter on our IS x50 haha?
Old 12-17-14, 09:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

You are very good at nailing all the apexes and you seem to know the track in and out pretty well from your video. Your consistency is very good.

My big recommendations are 2 things:
1. Trail braking. This helps turning in better with much reduced understeer. Be careful not to overload the front tires with too much brake, just a right amount.
2. Left foot braking. You saved tenth of the second delay from going from brake to gas peddle. As you ease out the brake, and simultaneously step on the gas, the car runs more smoothly. Weight transfer is also more smooth so the car is much more balanced as well. When you first started this, you will notice that your left foot is so INsensitive, you will experience some jerking here and there because the left foot is not used to modulating the brake so try it on an empty street or something. The sensitivity will build up. Once you do left foot braking, you will never want to go back to right foot braking

These two helped me tremendously.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-17-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 11:13 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Do you guys know if the paddles on the new IS is actual shifter vs. the fake shifter on our IS x50 haha?
I test drove a new 350 right when they came out. The new 8 speed paddle shifters seemed to work much more like what you would expect. It shifted more quickly and would hold the gear you selected even if you step on the gas. The car I drove had 14 miles on it, so I didn't really want to floor it. I wouldn't want someone doing that to a car I eventually bought, so I didn't do it to that one.

I'm sure someone in the 3IS section could tell you for sure.
Old 12-17-14, 12:17 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

The 3rd Gen IS350 RWD uses a revised version of the 8-speed transmission from the IS-F. The plus side of using this specific transmission is having true paddle shift capabilities which will hold the gear you select (unlike the 2IS w/ its gear limiter function). The minus side is that the 8-speed transmission has gear ratios better suited for the power of the V8 from the IS-F so unfortunately the 3IS350 doesn't have the same aggressive off-the-line acceleration that the 2IS350 has. It was a give-and-take upgrade for the new generation.

Though using the 2IS gear limiter function is a bit unorthodox compared to true paddle shifters, if you learn the nuisances of the system, you can make it work for the most part. I've learned to upshift at around 5500 RPM when in 1st gear and around 6000 RPM for the other gears to give the AI time to know my intent to shift up. Keeping the gear restricted to the lowest gear during corner entry and exit will allow you to take advantage of engine braking and accelerating more aggressively out of the corner like GVille350 had mentioned.