IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Time for new headlights need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 11:32 AM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Time for new headlights need some advice

Well now that it's almost Christmas time I decided the next "mod" to get are some headlights.. Mine currently are so cloudy when I turn on my HID's my lights look green.. I have tried every headlight restoration kit on the market and none of them seem to work. So I was looking at these http://www.protuninglab.com/20062009is250.html from pro tuning lab. I have read though the whole thread of the "Replica 2011-2012 LED headlights (Alibaba)" and the thread seemed to kind of died. So my question to everyone is do you think i should just go ahead and buy a pair of these or have any other suggestions? If i could i would love to just swap out the lenses from my old ones to some new ones but litterly NOWHERE do they sell just the lens. I also do not want to spend $1000 on some new headlights from sewell so im really confused on what path to take here. PLEASE HELP any advice ill take you guys are awesome!
Old 12-02-14, 11:42 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it is nothing on the inside?
You can always use a DA polisher on the outside. Sounds like you don't have much to lose by trying. You could always try a cheap single action polisher. Although a SA will likely leave light swirl marks it still sounds like your headlights are so cloudy that it wouldn't really be a step back anyway. But if you try it, make sure you tape off the paint. I used a dremel tool with a polishing bit on a pair of scratched old glasses to see what it would do. It was at least an improvement.
Old 12-02-14, 12:02 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have dull cloud headlight lens there's a life hack solution. I've never tried it but I heard you can use toothpaste and brush off your lens, rinse it off with water, if you prefer the other way use the products in store, But here's the thing. some people later after would sand it down to smooth it out and prep clear coat on evenly for a nice clean clear lens look that wont get cloudy again. Correct me if I'm wrong people.
Old 12-02-14, 12:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried various restoration kit for my 2006 IS350 and finally found one that works wonder. I wet sand with 3 different sand papers followed by Plast X and buff off wtih microfiber. After all the work, I finally installed Lamin X protection film on it and it looks better than new.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G1900K Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G1900K Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit: Automotive

If that kit is not sufficient enough, try the heavy duty kit
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G3000 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G3000 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit: Automotive

Headlight before

Headlight after

Headlight after with Lamin X blue tint

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-02-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 12:25 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread doesnt make sense. The oxidation you see on headlights is only on the surface. Sanding it off with high grit automotive grade sandpaper and polishing it should fix it right up. Then you just clear it with uv protectant.
What exactly happened when you used those kits and sanded your headlights?

Edit: some people beat me to it.
Old 12-02-14, 12:45 PM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny you should post this because i have tired both of these kits and they made them better but still after about 2 weeks with my florida heat it seems that they just go back to the way they were.. Is there maybe some type of film I can put over them to protect them?
Old 12-02-14, 01:02 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flattire
Its funny you should post this because i have tired both of these kits and they made them better but still after about 2 weeks with my florida heat it seems that they just go back to the way they were.. Is there maybe some type of film I can put over them to protect them?
Yes they have UV protection films to place on AFTER u clean out your cloud surface with products. Another thing to place on is Clear Coat. you can't leave your headlight naked after a wash bro. Cover it up. Happy camping.
Old 12-02-14, 02:21 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

You have several options:
1. Apply headlight protectant on it every week.
2. Apply a headlight coating like some members suggest.
3. Apply clear bra that contains UV protection. There are 2 brands I would recommend: 3M and Lamin X. I have 3M on my 2012 IS250 and in 3 years, the headlight is still brand new. I have Lamin X on my IS350 for couple months now. The third picture in my previous post is the Lamin X.

Solution #3 or #2 are the best in my opinion.
Old 12-02-14, 08:07 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A must try solution: Wetsanding

1. start off with a cleaned and wet surface, tape up painted area around headlight
2. use 2500 grid sandpaper to sand the headlight in ONE DIRECTION (keep surface lubricated by water sprays)
3. use 3500 grid sandpaper (The healight should feel super smooth, but looks hazy)
4. Use a compound of your choice and buff the headlight for about 3 minutes (I used meguiars ultimate compound, you can use any)
5. Use a polishing agent to polish the headlight for 4 minutes( I used meguiars ultimate polish, but there are better ones)
6. optional: Use a sealant (Opt-coat)

DONE

P.S. toothpaste only works if its has very very light haze, so forget about it.
Old 12-02-14, 08:40 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just posted a thread like this one the other day looking for a cheaper alternative for the ones on sewell to get that led look... the response I got was: buy it right the first time, otherwise you'll end up buying it twice...

There was a fellow member on here (you may have heard about) that bought these headlights and had to return them three times over as the LEDs kept dying, or just didn't work right outta the box.

Also, on the chance that you do get a functional pair, the LED strip looks nothing like oem, and looks cheap tbh. Its thicker, and the LED's are not close together (looks like christmas lights). These lights aren't that bright either by the way!
Old 12-02-14, 10:47 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn't use those, but I bought an Porter Cable orbital buffer and polished my headlights. I'm in AZ, and it's still fine after a year. Every time I wash the car, I apply this headlight lens sealer which helps clear the headlight a bit and remote dirt and dust:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-02-14, 11:12 PM
6sick6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take out your lights. Wetsand them down with 1000 grit paper. Then wetsand them with 1500 grit paper. Then clear coat them with QUALITY clear coat, not rattle can clear coat. If you don't have a spray gun to shoot good clear coat on them, take em to a body shop to have them cleared.

Trust me, im a painter at a body shop haha.
Old 12-03-14, 12:07 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

^^^^ great fix if you dont have the flow for 2012s
Old 12-03-14, 02:00 AM
07bsmtis25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job bro