Is this a good deal? Used IS250 or New Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 11:00 PM
ctruon1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal? Used IS250 or New Corolla

http://www.toyotaofclovis.com/detail...-12700523.html

I'm currently 21 years old and this would be my first car that I own. My parents are giving me $12k and the rest is up to me. Its either this car or a brand new 2015 Toyota Corolla for $18,500.
I'm kind of bias towards the Lexus, because it's just visually more appealing and plus my Dad drives a 1999 ES300 and its near 200k and still works like a champ, with no major problems for the past 15 years. I called the dealer and he said he would lower the price to $15800, given that I will pay $10k in cash and finance the rest, the price might go lower depending on my credit score. As for the Corolla, its not as nice, but its brand new. I would have to drive approx. 37 miles a day, mainly using the freeway.

Edit: Just had a talk with my parents and they changed their mind on the Corolla, I'm actually not allowed to get any new car. Only used. They gave me two options
A - Buy me a crappy used car (< $7k) wait till I'm 25 years old and I have the choice of picking any new car that is less than $25K (ie. Camry, Accord, Passat)
B - Buy me a used "nicer" car (i.e. Lexus IS250) and I drive that until it reaches 200k/ I'm in my late 20's and they would take the $25k and put it as a down payment for my dream car, which is a Mercedes ML350

The reason why I my parents refuse to buy me a new car is b/c they feel that I'm not responsible enough for a brand new car, despite the similar prices b/w the new corolla and used Lexus. My parents would be paying for my insurance and they say that insurance for a used car is cheaper.
I'm currently a nursing major and would graduate when I'm 23. If I get a job after graduation, my salary would be roughly $50k after taxes.
If I do choose the Lexus IS250 and there are maintenance problems, my parents would pay half and I the other. With my part-time job, I make around $9k a year.

Last edited by ctruon1; 11-29-14 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 11:11 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Kidding me? Youre talking about a classic car thats liked all around (imo) vs a corolla, one of the ****tiest cars (durability/styling/performance) on the road.

Sorry, just really really really hate corollas with every fiber in my being. Owning a corolla is like saying "I give up on cars".
Old 11-28-14, 11:25 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly if it was me id get a couple years older 250 around the same mileage, with nav +other options, or see if I could find a 350.
These cars are relatively problem free except for the water pump but prepare to shell out a ton if you have something like a oil leak.
It comes down to a new car with nothing to worry about for 4 years or take a chance with the IS.
Do the research and come up with a good educated decision. At the end of the day you're going to be the one thats stuck with the car.

Other factors to consider: Do you have enough funds for potential problems that might arise. Other debts & stable income.
Old 11-29-14, 04:38 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

im in a nursing program as well. nursing isn't easy. its not uncommon for students to take longer than 2 years to graduate. that's generally the case in ny/nj. not sure how difficult it is in ca.
as far as a reliable car, get an IS. you wont regret it. practical and good on gas. just make sure the one you decide to purchase isn't beat to the ground.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com
register here, input the vin and look over what service has been done to the car. if its been serviced at lexus since new, you should be good.
Old 11-29-14, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the new Corolla.
You can always get a Lexus later.
Old 11-29-14, 08:36 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Done a lot of research. Having been driving an Accord for 5+ years. I've jump to a Used BUT very worth it Lexus IS350. I don't even care about the mileage. It was kept clean by its previous owner like new. 1 owner. Lot's of maint history listings. Gorgeous color ( GFM ). Get's complimented on the daily. Drop it with Swift Springs + JoeZ intake cheap from Club Classified. Who knows what I will do next. Once I got my car I quickly registered and enter the CLUB. So what i'm trying to say is your still young. Used car is the best way to start out while building your credit, but doesn't mean u need to get a beat up junk used car. Go with the Luxury. Lexus Baby.
Old 11-29-14, 09:15 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ur lucky your parents are buying your first car... and even more lucky that you got another one in the bag when you hit ur late 20s. My dad bought me a cd when I was 16 and I bought my mom a car when I was 24.

Take the Lexus... and when you hit your late 20s ask them to put that towards a house instead... the Lexus will still be running
Old 11-29-14, 09:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I bought my wife's son (a 48 year old spoiled selfish baby) a new Corolla back in 2012. He has a 50 mile commute and has had no problems with the car. This was actually the second car I gave him. I gave him my 1993 Lexus SC300 back in 2003 and he promptly sold it. The Corolla has my name on the title, so he can't do that again.

My wife passed away last year, so this is his last car from me

BTW, I also bought my granddaughter (his daughter) a new Kia Rio in 2013, that, IMHO, is a Great car for the money. She likes the Rio better than the Corolla, and it was a lot cheaper.

And, both have been trouble free. New cars today are really pretty good. It's a pity your parents won't let you buy a new car IMO. You ALWAYS know the history and you have the full manufacturer's warranty.

To the OP. Any Lexus IS is sort of a performance car due to it's mechanical design. It doesn't sound like you're a car guy and you do have some growing up to do. If I would recommend something, try to talk your folks into letting you get something new, just for the KNOWN reliability and warranty protection. The Corolla is a very good inexpensive vehicle IMO, You may also want to check out Kia, Hyundai or the Honda Civic.

Lou
Old 11-29-14, 09:50 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I bought my wife's son (a 48 year old spoiled selfish baby) a new Corolla back in 2012. He has a 50 mile commute and has had no problems with the car. This was actually the second car I gave him. I gave him my 1993 Lexus SC300 back in 2003 and he promptly sold it. The Corolla has my name on the title, so he can't do that again.

My wife passed away last year, so this is his last car from me

BTW, I also bought my granddaughter (his daughter) a new Kia Rio in 2013, that, IMHO, is a Great car for the money. She likes the Rio better than the Corolla, and it was a lot cheaper.

And, both have been trouble free. New cars today are really pretty good. It's a pity your parents won't let you buy a new car IMO. You ALWAYS know the history and you have the full manufacturer's warranty.

To the OP. Any Lexus IS is sort of a performance car due to it's mechanical design. It doesn't sound like you're a car guy and you do have some growing up to do. If I would recommend something, try to talk your folks into letting you get something new, just for the KNOWN reliability and warranty protection. The Corolla is a very good inexpensive vehicle IMO, You may also want to check out Kia, Hyundai or the Honda Civic.

Lou
You bought a car for a 48 year old?
Old 11-29-14, 10:01 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get whatever is safe and reliable, and will require the least $ out of pocket from you (both cost and maintenance). The time will come for a nice car.
Old 11-29-14, 10:06 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2nd gen IS is not anything special. It is pretty old. If it were me I would buy a crappy used car and get a nicer car later.

When you start making money you would have wished you save what you could for a better car in the future.

Last edited by darkdream; 11-29-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 10:10 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're 21 and your dream car is an ML350? Isn't that kinda weird? And didn't you just say you were biased towards Lexus? I also don't understand why your parents say no to any new vehicle but you can get any used one for the same price? You're in a screwy situation. Your parents sound like they're not all there.

In all honesty, I wouldn't really worry about what you're driving while you're in nursing school. School should be your number one priority that way you can get a stellar job and make all the money you possibly can to buy a nice house and nice car.

If I would have known what I do now, I would have saved the $30k my parents gave me for a new car when I was 16 for a house. I had no idea I'd be house shopping at 21 with two babies... I'd buy the most reliable cheap car you can right now. Just stick it out for like 2 years. Then buy yourself a gradation present!

Last edited by sick21; 11-29-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 10:11 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do go for a Lexus make sure it's maintenance records are spot on and preferably a one owner car maintained by a Lexus dealership. However having gone through life solo(parents passed early) fresh out of the military and without a safety net reliability was priority #1. I naturally gravitated towards Toyota. Boring? Sure. A chick magnet. Hardly. BUT when the chips counted that car started 24/7 365 days a year rolling 300k maintenance fred and saved me from many potential jobs I would have lost if it were constantly in the shop.
Lucky for you that you have parents willing to back you. But for now your main focus needs to b on nursing. ( Tough job and thanks for doing it) and thank your parents for their help. Get a NICE pre owned Toyota throw in a serious sound system and roll with it. Then once your solid with your job go solo and pull yourself up by your bootstraps and man up by getting your own car on your own terms. Parents(now that I am one) are there to ASSIST you not give you a hand out. Know this. NOTHING make a parent prouder than seeing their kids be independent and take matters in their own hands knowing they can take care of themselves. By virtue of your job and by the time your 25 you won't need your parents help. Trust me you'll get "it"
Old 11-29-14, 10:18 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
If you do go for a Lexus make sure it's maintenance records are spot on and preferably a one owner car maintained by a Lexus dealership. However having gone through life solo(parents passed early) fresh out of the military and without a safety net reliability was priority #1. I naturally gravitated towards Toyota. Boring? Sure. A chick magnet. Hardly. BUT when the chips counted that car started 24/7 365 days a year rolling 300k maintenance fred and saved me from many potential jobs I would have lost if it were constantly in the shop. Lucky for you that you have parents willing to back you. But for now your main focus needs to b on nursing. ( Tough job and thanks for doing it) and thank your parents for their help. Get a NICE pre owned Toyota throw in a serious sound system and roll with it. Then once your solid with your job go solo and pull yourself up by your bootstraps and man up by getting your own car on your own terms. Parents(now that I am one) are there to ASSIST you not give you a hand out. Know this. NOTHING make a parent prouder than seeing their kids be independent and take matters in their own hands knowing they can take care of themselves. By virtue of your job and by the time your 25 you won't need your parents help. Trust me you'll get "it"
I agree. Although when I was a kid I never saw it this way..
Old 11-29-14, 10:42 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ctruon1
http://www.toyotaofclovis.com/detail...-12700523.html

I'm currently 21 years old and this would be my first car that I own. My parents are giving me $12k and the rest is up to me. Its either this car or a brand new 2015 Toyota Corolla for $18,500.
I'm kind of bias towards the Lexus, because it's just visually more appealing and plus my Dad drives a 1999 ES300 and its near 200k and still works like a champ, with no major problems for the past 15 years. I called the dealer and he said he would lower the price to $15800, given that I will pay $10k in cash and finance the rest, the price might go lower depending on my credit score. As for the Corolla, its not as nice, but its brand new. I would have to drive approx. 37 miles a day, mainly using the freeway.

Edit: Just had a talk with my parents and they changed their mind on the Corolla, I'm actually not allowed to get any new car. Only used. They gave me two options
A - Buy me a crappy used car (< $7k) wait till I'm 25 years old and I have the choice of picking any new car that is less than $25K (ie. Camry, Accord, Passat)
B - Buy me a used "nicer" car (i.e. Lexus IS250) and I drive that until it reaches 200k/ I'm in my late 20's and they would take the $25k and put it as a down payment for my dream car, which is a Mercedes ML350

The reason why I my parents refuse to buy me a new car is b/c they feel that I'm not responsible enough for a brand new car, despite the similar prices b/w the new corolla and used Lexus. My parents would be paying for my insurance and they say that insurance for a used car is cheaper.
I'm currently a nursing major and would graduate when I'm 23. If I get a job after graduation, my salary would be roughly $50k after taxes.
If I do choose the Lexus IS250 and there are maintenance problems, my parents would pay half and I the other. With my part-time job, I make around $9k a year.
I find it funny how you're talking about when you will be 25 and older and still using your parents to buy a car.... By the time I was your age, I had already been out of the house for 4 years and had finished putting myself through post-secondary and was well on my way to paying off my student loans.

But personally, I would prefer a nice older car over a new boring car any day. I would search for an IS350.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? Used IS250 or New Corolla