IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

*RARE* I thought Lexus are Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 06:50 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [Wont Start/Stall] ANY help will be appreciated

One week ago I replaced the battery, bought at Canadian Tire for $120 called motomaster exterminator which puts out 850 cold cranks. It was because the car's OEM battery would not hold up charge if I do multiple short trips.

3 Days ago, I drove to school, and after 3 hours when I got back to the car. It would not start, battery light was on, and there was no power steering? I had to jump it which took quite a while for some reason. After it was successful jumped it drove fine. (That day was really cold)

Today, the car drove fine during noon. However, in the evening I was on my way to meet a friend. In the middle of this 25km trip, the Navigation unit restarted itself when the car was moving which was odd. And when I found parking at the place, the car suddenly lost its power steering, and the battery light was on. So I parked, and shut it down. As expected, it would not start after the shut off (Radio and everything else was working though)

IMPORTANT PART
** When I got back from the meeting, I had to jump the car again. Which this time took only one try. The car was fine, but the battery light came on after about 5 min of driving, a minute later the power steering stopped working. Then in about 2 minutes, all the lights illuminated on the dash (such as Airbag, SRS, traction, VMDI, battery, etc..). And then the dash board as well as the speedometer lights also starting to go out. The car also started to hold revs, and shift oddly. Finally, it died after stopping at a red light.**

What do you guys think its wrong. I know it was stupid of me to keep on driving with all the electronic going off, but I was only a mile away from the dealer when the car finally died.

Last edited by jst17; 11-30-14 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Bad title.
Old 11-22-14, 07:16 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jst17
One week ago I replaced the battery, bought at Canadian Tire for $120 called motomaster exterminator which puts out 850 cold cranks. It was because the car's 8 year old OEM battery would not hold up charge if I do multiple short trips.

3 Days ago, I drove to work, and after 3 hours when I got back to the car. It would not start, battery light was on, and there was no power steering? I had to jump it which took quite a while for some reason. After it was successful jumped it drove fine. (That day was really cold)

Today, the car drove fine during noon. However, in the evening I was on my way to meet a friend. In the middle of this 25km trip, the Navigation unit restarted itself when the car was moving which was odd. And when I found parking at the place, the car suddenly lost its power steering, and the battery light was on. So I parked, and shut it down. As expected, it would not start (Radio and everything else was working though)

IMPORTANT PART
** When I got back from the meeting, I had to jump the car again. Which this time took only one try. The car was fine, but the battery came on after about 5 min of driving, a minute later the power steering stopped working. Then in about 2 minutes, all the lights illuminated on the dash (such as Airbag, SRS, traction, VMDI, battery, etc..). And then the dash board as well as the speedometer lights also starting to go out. The car also started to hold revs, and shift oddly. Finally, it died after stopping at a red light.**

What do you guys think its wrong, it has 61k miles. I know it was stupid of me to keep on driving with all the electronic going off:$ Please input anything you can guys, I am really scared at this moment.
To me it seems like you have a faulty alternator, thus it is not charging your battery. There is a thread (car died while driving, iirc) below yours regarding similar if not the same issue. The consensus was a bad alternator.
Old 11-22-14, 07:22 PM
jst17
Driver

Had to jump it for a few times on that cold day.

Last edited by jst17; 11-22-14 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

When you jumped it or when you put the new battery in, did you accidentally reverse the negative and positive?

could it be that the battery is not bought from a Lexus dealership?
No, that's not the problem. There is no magic to Lexus batteries.
Old 11-22-14, 07:34 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
When you jumped it or when you put the new battery in, did you accidentally reverse the negative and positive?
I made sure it was correct, and the car was fine after the install. maybe when we jumped it today the other driver put his the other way, but it started just fine in the beginning? Its unlikely that the power steering go out twice in 3 days. How screwed am I...

Last edited by jst17; 11-22-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

could it be that the battery is not bought from a Lexus dealership?
You're joking right

Lou
Old 11-22-14, 08:22 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
You're joking right

Lou
I'm pretty clueless when it come to cars. Especially electronics, didnt pay enough attention in circuits during university.

Last edited by jst17; 11-22-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 09:36 PM
neweyslex
Driver

I think it's your alternator as well. I've had similar behavior. Took my car to Autozone and hooked it up on the diagnostic which result with a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator myself but didn't trickle charge my battery. Ran the car for 2 days and the same problem came back. Took the alternator back to get tested and was told the alternator was bad. I was told that if I didn't trickle charge the COMPLETELY dead battery, it will kill the new alternator. So I got a new alternator (under warranty) and a new battery. Installed both and the problem went away. I'd suggest you take it to one of the auto parts store and get both items tested and do the same as I did. Hope this help..
Old 11-22-14, 09:39 PM
neweyslex
Driver

JST17

Here is more information I found on line.-----

An alternator WILL NOT replace a full charge back to a completely discharged battery because if they did they would be called battery chargers.

The alternator runs the car and is supposed to replace the charge you used to start the car. It replaces this charge at a trickle charge rate, so you would need to drive at least 9-12 hours straight driving and that will put tremendous stress on the alternator.

You should get the battery on a charger using a trickle charge for at least 10 hours and after you get the car started drive straight to the auto parts store and ask them to check the battery and alternator and starter.
Old 11-22-14, 09:59 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by neweyslex
I think it's your alternator as well. I've had similar behavior. Took my car to Autozone and hooked it up on the diagnostic which result with a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator myself but didn't trickle charge my battery. Ran the car for 2 days and the same problem came back. Took the alternator back to get tested and was told the alternator was bad. I was told that if I didn't trickle charge the COMPLETELY dead battery, it will kill the new alternator. So I got a new alternator (under warranty) and a new battery. Installed both and the problem went away. I'd suggest you take it to one of the auto parts store and get both items tested and do the same as I did. Hope this help..
Great info! However, the thing is after the car stalled tonight, I towed it to the dealership. I will tell them what you told me. Anything else I should tell them? I car is completely dead at this moment

I guess I'm looking at $530 for the alternator plus 2 hours of labour($300), I will tell them to trickle charge the battery since its practically new. Other wise, a new battery plus labor would be another $240. So a total of $800-$1100 for this?

Last edited by jst17; 11-22-14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 10:16 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Not really. The dealer may charge you quite a bit if they need to replace the alternator. I'm not too sure on the labor since I do the work myself. If the dealer want to replace both the battery and the alternator, you MIGHT be able to save some money by exchanging the battery back with Canadian tires if the battery came with the 1 year warranty.
Old 11-22-14, 10:16 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

i am running Canadian Tire Battery on my Lexus IS350 too i have no problems at all... check your alternator, make sure your terminals is clean, and make sure your grounding cable is ground properly and connector connected tight to the battery... did canadian tire sold u a wrong battery?
Old 11-22-14, 10:17 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Thanks for quoting that originally so I could have a chuckle.

Then I saw this...
I made sure it was correct, and the car was fine after the install. maybe when we jumped it today the other driver put his the other way, but it started just fine in the beginning? Its unlikely that the power steering go out twice in 3 days. How screwed am I...
dudeeeeeee! sounds like you need to read up on basic car knowledge.

I also vote for the alternator.
Old 11-22-14, 10:26 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
i am running Canadian Tire Battery on my Lexus IS350 too i have no problems at all... check your alternator, make sure your terminals is clean, and make sure your grounding cable is ground properly and connector connected tight to the battery... did canadian tire sold u a wrong battery?
The negative terminal was quite corroded when I replaced the battery.Other than the orange corrosion, the terminals are strapped tight onto the battery.
Grounding cable; was I suppose to check that when I took the battery out?

Last edited by jst17; 11-22-14 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 10:29 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by neweyslex
If the dealer want to replace both the battery and the alternator, you MIGHT be able to save some money by exchanging the battery back with Canadian tires if the battery came with the 1 year warranty.
Wait, since the battery is basically new, why can't the dealer just replace the alternator and trickle charge the battery?
Yes, it did came with a one year free-replacement warranty.

Quick Reply: *RARE* I thought Lexus are Reliable?