Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

*RARE* I thought Lexus are Reliable?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #1
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default [Wont Start/Stall] ANY help will be appreciated

One week ago I replaced the battery, bought at Canadian Tire for $120 called motomaster exterminator which puts out 850 cold cranks. It was because the car's 8 year old OEM battery would not hold up charge if I do multiple short trips.

3 Days ago, I drove to work, and after 3 hours when I got back to the car. It would not start, battery light was on, and there was no power steering? I had to jump it which took quite a while for some reason. After it was successful jumped it drove fine. (That day was really cold)

Today, the car drove fine during noon. However, in the evening I was on my way to meet a friend. In the middle of this 25km trip, the Navigation unit restarted itself when the car was moving which was odd. And when I found parking at the place, the car suddenly lost its power steering, and the battery light was on. So I parked, and shut it down. As expected, it would not start after the shut off (Radio and everything else was working though)


IMPORTANT PART
** When I got back from the meeting, I had to jump the car again. Which this time took only one try. The car was fine, but the battery light came on after about 5 min of driving, a minute later the power steering stopped working. Then in about 2 minutes, all the lights illuminated on the dash (such as Airbag, SRS, traction, VMDI, battery, etc..). And then the dash board as well as the speedometer lights also starting to go out. The car also started to hold revs, and shift oddly. Finally, it died after stopping at a red light.**

What do you guys think its wrong, it has 61k miles. I know it was stupid of me to keep on driving with all the electronic going off:$ Please input anything you can guys, I am really scared at this moment.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by jst17; Today at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Bad title.
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #2
bangdangvn
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
bangdangvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst17 View Post
One week ago I replaced the battery, bought at Canadian Tire for $120 called motomaster exterminator which puts out 850 cold cranks. It was because the car's 8 year old OEM battery would not hold up charge if I do multiple short trips.

3 Days ago, I drove to work, and after 3 hours when I got back to the car. It would not start, battery light was on, and there was no power steering? I had to jump it which took quite a while for some reason. After it was successful jumped it drove fine. (That day was really cold)

Today, the car drove fine during noon. However, in the evening I was on my way to meet a friend. In the middle of this 25km trip, the Navigation unit restarted itself when the car was moving which was odd. And when I found parking at the place, the car suddenly lost its power steering, and the battery light was on. So I parked, and shut it down. As expected, it would not start (Radio and everything else was working though)


IMPORTANT PART
** When I got back from the meeting, I had to jump the car again. Which this time took only one try. The car was fine, but the battery came on after about 5 min of driving, a minute later the power steering stopped working. Then in about 2 minutes, all the lights illuminated on the dash (such as Airbag, SRS, traction, VMDI, battery, etc..). And then the dash board as well as the speedometer lights also starting to go out. The car also started to hold revs, and shift oddly. Finally, it died after stopping at a red light.**

What do you guys think its wrong, it has 61k miles. I know it was stupid of me to keep on driving with all the electronic going off:$ Please input anything you can guys, I am really scared at this moment.
To me it seems like you have a faulty alternator, thus it is not charging your battery. There is a thread (car died while driving, iirc) below yours regarding similar if not the same issue. The consensus was a bad alternator.
bangdangvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #3
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Had to jump it for a few times on that cold day.
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]

Last edited by jst17; Yesterday at 09:19 PM..
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #4
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Trader Score: (2)
 
DaveGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,079
profile.php?id=100001050339562 @DaveGS4 DaveGS4 The Real DaveGS4
Default

When you jumped it or when you put the new battery in, did you accidentally reverse the negative and positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst17 View Post
could it be that the battery is not bought from a Lexus dealership?
No, that's not the problem. There is no magic to Lexus batteries.
__________________

*** Click image for team info! ***

LS430 Ultra * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick

Tundra SR5 5.7 and BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)

** Want to put your PC to good use every night?** Click here to join the Club Lexus Folding Team and help find a cure for cancer and other diseases. May the force be with you.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #5
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4 View Post
When you jumped it or when you put the new battery in, did you accidentally reverse the negative and positive?
I made sure it was correct, and the car was fine after the install. maybe when we jumped it today the other driver put his the other way, but it started just fine in the beginning? Its unlikely that the power steering go out twice in 3 days. How screwed am I...
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]

Last edited by jst17; Yesterday at 08:43 PM..
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #6
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
lowrideraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst17 View Post
could it be that the battery is not bought from a Lexus dealership?
You're joking right

Lou
__________________
2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White
lowrideraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #7
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideraz View Post
You're joking right

Lou
I'm pretty clueless when it come to cars. Especially electronics, didnt pay enough attention in circuits during university.
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]

Last edited by jst17; Yesterday at 10:18 PM..
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8
neweyslex
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
neweyslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 55
Default

I think it's your alternator as well. I've had similar behavior. Took my car to Autozone and hooked it up on the diagnostic which result with a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator myself but didn't trickle charge my battery. Ran the car for 2 days and the same problem came back. Took the alternator back to get tested and was told the alternator was bad. I was told that if I didn't trickle charge the COMPLETELY dead battery, it will kill the new alternator. So I got a new alternator (under warranty) and a new battery. Installed both and the problem went away. I'd suggest you take it to one of the auto parts store and get both items tested and do the same as I did. Hope this help..
neweyslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #9
neweyslex
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
neweyslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 55
Default

JST17

Here is more information I found on line.-----

An alternator WILL NOT replace a full charge back to a completely discharged battery because if they did they would be called battery chargers.

The alternator runs the car and is supposed to replace the charge you used to start the car. It replaces this charge at a trickle charge rate, so you would need to drive at least 9-12 hours straight driving and that will put tremendous stress on the alternator.

You should get the battery on a charger using a trickle charge for at least 10 hours and after you get the car started drive straight to the auto parts store and ask them to check the battery and alternator and starter.
neweyslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #10
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neweyslex View Post
I think it's your alternator as well. I've had similar behavior. Took my car to Autozone and hooked it up on the diagnostic which result with a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator myself but didn't trickle charge my battery. Ran the car for 2 days and the same problem came back. Took the alternator back to get tested and was told the alternator was bad. I was told that if I didn't trickle charge the COMPLETELY dead battery, it will kill the new alternator. So I got a new alternator (under warranty) and a new battery. Installed both and the problem went away. I'd suggest you take it to one of the auto parts store and get both items tested and do the same as I did. Hope this help..
Great info! However, the thing is after the car stalled tonight, I towed it to the dealership. I will tell them what you told me. Anything else I should tell them? I car is completely dead at this moment

I guess I'm looking at $530 for the alternator plus 2 hours of labour($300), I will tell them to trickle charge the battery since its practically new. Other wise, a new battery plus labor would be another $240. So a total of $800-$1100 for this?
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]

Last edited by jst17; Yesterday at 11:13 PM..
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #11
neweyslex
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
neweyslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 55
Default

Not really. The dealer may charge you quite a bit if they need to replace the alternator. I'm not too sure on the labor since I do the work myself. If the dealer want to replace both the battery and the alternator, you MIGHT be able to save some money by exchanging the battery back with Canadian tires if the battery came with the 1 year warranty.
neweyslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #12
604GSE21
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 184
Default

i am running Canadian Tire Battery on my Lexus IS350 too i have no problems at all... check your alternator, make sure your terminals is clean, and make sure your grounding cable is ground properly and connector connected tight to the battery... did canadian tire sold u a wrong battery?
604GSE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #13
xanderES
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 249
Default

Thanks for quoting that originally so I could have a chuckle.

Then I saw this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst17 View Post
I made sure it was correct, and the car was fine after the install. maybe when we jumped it today the other driver put his the other way, but it started just fine in the beginning? Its unlikely that the power steering go out twice in 3 days. How screwed am I...
dudeeeeeee! sounds like you need to read up on basic car knowledge.

I also vote for the alternator.
__________________
_______________________
07 Black Sapphire ES350 - Gone - Picture
08 Obsidian IS350 - In progress/GONE | BC w/ Swift | Lexon Roof Spoiler | HKS F-Sport Exhaust | SPC | Megan | CF Emblems | LX Mode | Auto Couture | Weds Sport | JDM Visors | All items for sale
93 Black 300zx TT - mint condition - Project Car
xanderES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #14
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604GSE21 View Post
i am running Canadian Tire Battery on my Lexus IS350 too i have no problems at all... check your alternator, make sure your terminals is clean, and make sure your grounding cable is ground properly and connector connected tight to the battery... did canadian tire sold u a wrong battery?
The negative terminal was quite corroded when I replaced the battery.Other than the orange corrosion, the terminals are strapped tight onto the battery.
Grounding cable; was I suppose to check that when I took the battery out?
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]

Last edited by jst17; Yesterday at 11:30 PM..
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #15
jst17
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jst17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neweyslex View Post
If the dealer want to replace both the battery and the alternator, you MIGHT be able to save some money by exchanging the battery back with Canadian tires if the battery came with the 1 year warranty.
Wait, since the battery is basically new, why can't the dealer just replace the alternator and trickle charge the battery?
Yes, it did came with a one year free-replacement warranty.
__________________
Jay

Weekend Warrior: 2gen IS350 Obsidian [Luxury Pkg+NAV+Mark Levinson]
Daily Driver: 3gen RX350 Starfire Pearl [Sports Pkg+NAV+Heads up Display]
jst17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply


Tags
alternator, battery, problem, starting, winter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info