Exclamation VRTuned IS350 Auto Flash: Convo with Vivid Racing Owner

Me: "You REALLY want this market man. I'm telling you."

Owner: "I'm good Stew. Thanks for your insight."

You guys can read and develop your own opinion:

VRTuned IS350 3rd party dyno

Stew Smith
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Hi ____

I'm Stew. I was just talking to [Vivid Employee] about the possibility of doing a 3rd party dyno test of the the ECU software you guys just released. Now, I understand that it doesn't make sense to you why that would be necessary, but I ask that you hear me out:

Our platform has been around 9 years, and nobody has been able to touch the ECU. There have been countless chips and reflashes released, but none stick for more than 1-200mi or so.However, none have a name like vivid racing behind it. I have been 'nominated' to spearhead the effort to get a dyno done by a trusted member of the community because I pioneered the first 100+ whp gain on the car.

I am not some guy looking for a freebie: I cannot use the unit myself because I run forced induction. However, I happen to be rebuilding my supercharger this month, so I'm running just an intake and axleback. If I test it, I will need to reset my ECU anyway so that I can push the boost. I am searching for 400whp this spring.

By partnering with me, you could provide relief of 9 years of frustration to the 2IS community. I know that you guys sell plenty of these, and that our platform really doesn't matter that much to you. But, its one unit that will mean a whole lot to us. There have been over 200 posts in the topic on Club Lexus about this product.

Everyone is waiting for a trusted source to give them the go ahead to buy it. They've been burned too many times. If it works, you won't be able to make them fast enough: you will have a tuning monopoly on our platform.

Let me know,

Stew

Stewart Smith
M.D. Candidate, Class of 2017
The Ohio State University College of Medicine
MedFIT, Co-President

OWNER
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM
To: Stew Smith

Your car is the boosted one?

OWNER
Vivid Racing
Tel: 480.966.3040
Web: www.vividracing.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:48 PM
To: OWNER
Subject: VRTuned IS350 3rd party dyno

Stew Smith
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Yes. But it's not boosted right now. It will be in about 4 weeks again. Thats why I want to get N/A numbers for the community while I'm waiting on parts to be made. I wouldn't throw 8psi at a universal tune, the Stillen G37 threw a rod that way.

Unless you're interested in doing a new tune for a forced induction IS350 as well, because then I'm all ears.

Stew

Stewart Smith
M.D. Candidate, Class of 2017
The Ohio State University College of Medicine
MedFIT, Co-President

OWNER
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The promo price is $600. Its been independently tested by the manufacture and other companies in the EU. Our dyno was 3rd party as we dont make it. I have 1 guy that paid to test it as well on his IS-F. If you understand the product and how it is accessing factory mapping on the ECU, then of course it works. If you follow the process of flashing it, driving it for 80 miles, you should notice the performance tq, throttle response, and mid range just like we did on our cars here. If you follow the instructions to the T including the driving portion for adaptation and dont see ANY gains based on numbers then you can return it. If interested, $600 plus $15 for shipping. Paypal

OWNER
Vivid Racing

Stew Smith
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM
OWNER

OWNER

Our ECU is very very different and very special. Tunes that work on other cars don't tend to work on ours. I don't doubt that we will see initial gains, but they tend to disappear after 200 or so more miles. Regardless, I would be sending the unit back to you guys once the testing is done, resetting my ECU, and letting it relearn for my boost.

I cannot use the product personally. The people on clublexus who want to buy it are afraid to do so, pending a test by a forum member. You will sell dozens of these units if i can show that it works, that is a promise.

If you want, you can have my credit card information, and charge it for the full $700 if I do not return the unit within 1 month. Or, I'd be willing to put down a deposit that I will receive back when I return the unit. However, I cannot buy it for it for personal use, and will not keep it.

Please partner with me on this, we have been waiting 9 years for a solution to this problem.

Thanks

Stew

OWNER
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM

The unit locks to your VIN. For me to go through this hassle is not worth it. No offense, but its not worth my time when I have people buying units and me dynoing them here. To prove your point, I will get the 08 IS350 back here in a week with probably 500 miles on it since the flash and run it again. Since you probably missed the analogy, the your ECU like many other are similar to a CD. Bosch, Siemens, etc makes the ECU to last and work on a few generations. They dont make 1 ECU for 1 car. For example a Porsche Bosch ME7.8 is for all Porsche 996 and 997 from 2000-2009. There may be slight variances of the protocols, but on the file and tables, your car is running on Track 1. Track 2 and Track 3 are on your ECU, you just need to know where to find the code, and initialize it. The same way they are doing this on Ferrari 458, Porsche 911, Mercedes AMG, VW DSG, and Lexus. In fact they have these for just about every make model because you are dealing with really 2 or 3 ECU manufactures. They dont need the cars to look for the binary files, they need the access from the manufactures or the manufactures data. Point being, the units work. I watched one being programmed lived in my 991 Turbo as I drove around.

OWNER
Vivid Racing

Stew Smith
OWNER

OWNER, I understand where you are coming from, but isn't your cost worth selling 12 units at retail?

How many times have we all bought car parts with proven dyno sheets and they didn't put down the power they were supposed to? No company has succeeded with this ECU in 9 years. Read the replies on the Facebook. Our platform is different.

Why don't I ask you this: what is YOUR cost on the unit? If you're confident in the unit, you'll make your money coming and going, and you'll get that 2IS tuning monopoly I was talking about. Nobody else can tune this thing plug and play. Nobody.

You REALLY want this market man. I'm telling you. I can give it to you.

Stew

OWNER
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I'm good Stew. Thanks for your insight.

OWNER
Vivid Racing

Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:32 PM

Stew Smith
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Thanks for your consideration!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion?

He doesn't know much about our platform, and doesn't seem to care.
If you guys want to support him with your hard earned money, more power to you!

-Stew

Last edited by stewb10; 11-11-14 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Owner requested I remove his name
Old 11-11-14, 04:20 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm good lol

I'm sitting here with my popcorn waiting for that 350 to go back in for another dyno
Old 11-11-14, 04:26 PM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do realize though, without a 3rd party controlling it, If it gets tuned back out we will never know. In fact, they could always fudge a chart or use an old one.
Old 11-11-14, 04:30 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Just wow. What kind of shop doesn't respect customers. If I were a business owner, I would be looking into this potential good mine if my product was the only one of its kind. I thought VR was going to provide me with a new found hope for the is250, but I guess it's gonna be just another urban legend.
Old 11-11-14, 04:38 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that 2nd or 3rd to last email about the ECU working like a CD. I heard/read that somewhere before with the whole ferarri and porsche reference... Its going to bother me that I don't know where it was from. I know I read that exact reference somewhere

Originally Posted by whitecel
Just wow. What kind of shop doesn't respect customers. If I were a business owner, I would be looking into this potential good mine if my product was the only one of its kind. I thought VR was going to provide me with a new found hope for the is250, but I guess it's gonna be just another urban legend.
If I were in the business of tuning, I would send out a bunch of beta's to get the market's attention instead of having one control (one car they only have access to). The only reason why I wouldn't buy because my buddy has a Tuner from Wisconsin that promised a tune for his 944 chump car, it did not work right; the car would not start. The tuner would not accept my friends money until they got it working right. That's the kind of people I would give my business/money to

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-11-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 04:58 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another hope turning into nope on tuning for the IS

I was following this thing for years and years lol. Can someone turns nope into hope? They can have 100% market share on IS tuning if they do like Stew mentioned.
Old 11-11-14, 05:09 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Fact is a tune and test a product like this on a new platform would take a year and few 1,000 miles I would say. Not piece it up, slap it on, drive 80miles and we're done to sell it.
Old 11-11-14, 05:15 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

They just plain didn't answer my email, I essentially offered my car up as well. (Before I knew this "doesn't work" on boosted cars... If it works at all). They don't realize that people like you, I and a handful of others can lead the masses on this one. Not being cocky, but we have a reputation that is better than theirs I feel like. Lol
Old 11-11-14, 05:20 PM
stewb10
Driver

Yea man, I have 140 posts on here, but the posts that I have made at least have some type of consistency, evidence and value. That's what he doesn't understand. You should see the things he said to me after I sent him this link!

I'll spare him from that embarrassment. He's supposed to be a business owner, but he acts like we owe him something. I literally have nothing to gain from his chip, so why would I want to pay him for it? I even offered to pay his cost, so he didn't lose on it either. He was simply either uninterested in our market, or has a complex that prevents him opening his eyes to possibilities outside of Porsche. Or both.
Old 11-11-14, 05:23 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wao if thats the owner talking, he doesn't seem to care. Probably cost him $200-300 to make and he can't give one up for further testing. Like Stew said he would sell a lot of this if he would just cooperate. The way I see it They might be hiding something.. Maybe the next best step would be to talk to the owner of that is350 and see if he would go to another dyno to prove the gains.?
Old 11-11-14, 05:31 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
Wao if thats the owner talking, he doesn't seem to care. Probably cost him $200-300 to make and he can't give one up for further testing. Like Stew said he would sell a lot of this if he would just cooperate. The way I see it They might be hiding something.. Maybe the next best step would be to talk to the owner of that is350 and see if he would go to another dyno to prove the gains.?
I PMed him the day of the dyno results and haven't been answered. Maybe he doesn't use the forum much or maybe doesn't want to say he wanted $700? Not sure
Old 11-11-14, 05:32 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
I dont mind chipping in money for real results. Lol
Old 11-11-14, 05:34 PM
stewb10
Driver

I lied heres the recap of what happened when I sent him the link:

Him:
"This shows poor character and obvious reasons why I would not help you. I dont appreciate using our conversation especially my name in a post. You must have some internal issues to deal with doing this. I like the end part where you blatently lie about my knowledge and direction.

I could play this game back if I wanted to affecting your medical intentions, but by the time you graduate, you will see the poor choices you made or be more grown up."

Then I told him that it was completely within my right to share the information, but that his request for me to remove his name would be honored.

"Would you like me to create a thread somewhere or on my site that gets 25000 people a day called, dont hire Stew Smith? Cause that lingers on the internet FOREVER. I am in business since 2001 to sell products that work. Not snake oil. But I am not in business to be bullied by a forum guy who just cause he cant get a free product has to trash someone in email. Your approach is terrible. You could learn or will learn somethings as you get older. I could eat $700 or $600, but that is not the point. I am not going to continue this conversation as you have poor intentions."

I concluded with:

"If you take the time to actually read my emails, I came in with the absolute best intentions. I have nothing to gain from your chip. In fact, I have 80whp to lose. I was your poor attitude here that was the issue. Everyone sees that.

It is your businesses poor attitude that broke the law in your dealings with my order last month. And I still went into this with an open mind, thinking that maybe just the employees have bad attitudes. The last guy wouldn't let me talk to you when they refused to fill my order (which I had already paid for), and then they threw the distributing company under the bus to the point that the distributing company went upside down to fill my order without you guys knowing. And I still was trying to work with you.

See Dan, If you'd have taken a split second to read, or maybe even do your own digging, you'd understand what you could've done tonight. You'd understand how much money was on the table for you. Now, it doesn't matter if it works or not. Your attitude just cost you thousands. Not just in chips, but in business all around. Yes, you might as well have gone and thrown $20k into the desert. It will continue to cost you thousands until YOU grow up sir.

Regards,

Stew"

Yes, I showed a little immaturity at the end, but so be it. I have plenty of time to mature. Im just a kid right?
Old 11-11-14, 05:39 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I know there a member in the ISF that purchased it. Let see what he get for results. Funny if his product work he has no worry from this posting lol.

Last edited by laobo979; 11-11-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 05:43 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm willing to chip in if someone reputable here, whether OP or another member is willing purchase the unit AND post timely dyno sheets/reviews etc versus just buying and then not following up. Better for us to all lose a few bucks then one guy out $700.

Quick Reply: VRTuned IS350 Auto Flash: Convo with Vivid Racing Owner