IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VRTuned IS350 Auto Flash: Convo with Vivid Racing Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 11:55 AM
Foxhole
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen Daileycon. I use only Shell 91 whenever possible. Would ExxonMobil 91 be better? Maybe if I had SeaFoam I would've beat that semi going down the 101 yesterday. Stew, what happened on your last transaction that went sour? Just curious, not trying to chose sides. Sincerely, The Unicorn Believer.
Old 11-13-14, 12:00 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxhole
My brother-in-law warned me that this would quickly become a nasty Subaru thread. Geesh, maybe if we wanted a tuner car with similar looks/characteristics we should've kicked 5k more for a 335i. I'm just over 400 miles now and on one of my posts I noted I 'didn't hear that giving up', but it was better described by another member "heavy flywheel feeling". Maybe it's the torque converter that is working at it's full potential. Again, I'm no expert. In defense of VR and Dan they have only been good to me. He is not my friend but when doing business face to face it's always enjoyable. I could understand his reply of "I'm fine" after hearing/seeing all the skepticism. It might be more trouble than it's worth, especially since they are backing up the product. If I get it D'ed again in a week or two I bet it still wouldn't be sufficient to put this to rest. All I know is I'm still having fun with a 6+ year old car. It's like she just got a new 'rack'.
Originally Posted by daileycon
I disagree because you will have someone asking about snow mode, gear used, mustang dyno, heavy rollers, rocket fuel used, etc haha
All the forum wants is independt dyno results (before and after), done properly... and after significant mileage. Luckily an ISF guy will be providing that information and we can all put the debate to rest. You can do this for the forum too, but it doesnt seem like it is in your interest. I'll await the F guy's results (regardless, i cant use this being boosted).
Old 11-13-14, 12:59 PM
Foxhole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heyarms
All the forum wants is independt dyno results (before and after), done properly... and after significant mileage. Luckily an ISF guy will be providing that information and we can all put the debate to rest. You can do this for the forum too, but it doesnt seem like it is in your interest. I'll await the F guy's results (regardless, i cant use this being boosted).
A Dyno is not cheap and time consuming, some of us have to work M-F. I did a before and after. So when/if I do an after - after at another shop someone please tell me when and how it should be done correctly. How about a group buy for a Dyno?
Old 11-13-14, 11:35 PM
stewb10
Driver

A Dyno is not cheap and time consuming, some of us have to work M-F. I did a before and after. So when/if I do an after - after at another shop someone please tell me when and how it should be done correctly. How about a group buy for a Dyno?
I offered to do all the leg work at my cost remember? Your mistake was giving the company with a stake in the results control of the outcome. At the end of the day, if there is a dose of well founded healthy skepticism across a community, the parent company should go out of their way to prove their product works.

If it works, you have a community behind you. If it doesn't, you know you need to look closer and see if you need to take it off the shelves so you're not ripping people off.. A win win for a business with good values.
Old 11-14-14, 09:22 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

I'm in AZ where Vivid is, and know several people who know the guys there, however I have never dealt with them personally. Once I do a little more research, I will seriously consider picking one up and taking it to a local dyno.

As everyone has said, $700 for something to potentially not work in the long run is a lot of money down the drain. If Vivid is willing to provide me with official paperwork that they will refund my money pending I am not satisfied then I will probably be your guys' guinea pig on this. (again )

I am definitely a little weary given Vivid's reputation and poor customer service record, however as I said, I have never dealt with them personally, so I will see how it goes in person.

In the meantime, please keep updating these threads with other news you guys hear or convos you have with people regarding this.
Old 11-14-14, 09:40 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

My brother-in-law warned me that this would quickly become a nasty Subaru thread. Geesh, maybe if we wanted a tuner car with similar looks/characteristics we should've kicked 5k more for a 335i. I'm just over 400 miles now and on one of my posts I noted I 'didn't hear that giving up', but it was better described by another member "heavy flywheel feeling". Maybe it's the torque converter that is working at it's full potential. Again, I'm no expert. In defense of VR and Dan they have only been good to me. He is not my friend but when doing business face to face it's always enjoyable. I could understand his reply of "I'm fine" after hearing/seeing all the skepticism. It might be more trouble than it's worth, especially since they are backing up the product. If I get it D'ed again in a week or two I bet it still wouldn't be sufficient to put this to rest. All I know is I'm still having fun with a 6+ year old car. It's like she just got a new 'rack'.
Tell Rob to come over here and stop talking trash on a forum for a car he doesn't even own anymore haha.. just kidding man. I've known your bro-in-law for like 15 years .

No one doubts that Dan and those guys have been nice to you. In fact, I am happy to hear you are receiving great customer service from them. The issue people are having is with the way everything was completed by them, and the lack of additional updates. I would encourage you to dyno the car again, at an independent dyno shop, without anyone from Vivid there. I would dyno the car in snow mode and 4th gear and see what you put down. Even though it won't show an accurate increase (since there is no baseline dyno you did like this) it will show total WHP which will give us a rough estimate on how much HP you have truly gained from the tune.

If you would like, I can accompany you to assist and make sure the dyno is done properly with the correct factors inputted. We can even have Rob there too .

Follow-up questions for you real quick too… Have you had to plug the tuner in the car again since your initial tune? Have you tuned it back to stock since tuning it with the VRTuner? How many miles do you drive per week typically?
Old 11-14-14, 11:40 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Just to add to that, find a dyno with something other than a Mustang dyno. They are notorious for HIGH readings.
Old 11-14-14, 01:52 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. You would think that the owner of that sort of company would be more inclined when someone offers to genuinely help them with their product... Unless of course the product does not live up to its hype.

Very unprofessional the way the owner handled the situation and replies. I think Stew made it VERY clear that he was not there to profit or gain from this, but to help the IS community and Vivid Racing.
Old 11-14-14, 02:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Vivid racing does not want to partner with the OP, simple enough. Did i miss anything else?
Old 11-14-14, 09:04 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

So...they posted before/after on a 250 today: before 198ft/lbs and 207whp. After 206ft/lbs and 214whp. I don't follow what they're posting... Because their other graph for an is250 (different car) said after "tuning" hit 158whp after a 16whp gain... I smell more BS. Please no one waste money on this thing
Old 11-14-14, 09:06 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So...they posted before/after on a 250 today: before 198ft/lbs and 207whp. After 206ft/lbs and 214whp. I don't follow what they're posting... Because their other graph for an is250 (different car) said after "tuning" hit 158whp after a 16whp gain... I smell more BS. Please no one waste money on this thing
$700 for 7 whp? Yikes!
Old 11-14-14, 09:19 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

People have spent money on these...hope they can get it back without issues.
Old 11-14-14, 10:11 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

207whp? I thought they came with 204 crank hp? Lol no way in hell the motor is underrated, Yeah BS.
Old 11-15-14, 06:07 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Yup... Exactly!

Here's the graph they posted. It's labeled pretty clearly that run 2 was the stock run 4 days prior to the after dyno.

Please no one buy this junk
Old 11-15-14, 07:28 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Am I reading this right, $100 per 1 hp gain?

Quick Reply: VRTuned IS350 Auto Flash: Convo with Vivid Racing Owner