IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$350 for ATF flush of RWD 2008 IS250. Fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 09:26 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $350 for ATF flush of RWD 2008 IS250. Fair price?

This is at a Toyota dealership. I did emphasize FLUSH and not just drain and fill. They said it takes 7-8 hours as they will have to let the car sit around 4 hours to let tranny cool down and 2-3 hours for flush service.

Sound fair? I think so.
Old 11-05-14, 10:16 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car a manual transmission?
Old 11-05-14, 10:26 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Auto transmission
Old 11-05-14, 10:32 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot flush the IS transmission because it is sealed system. Also, it is not recommended to flush it even if it is possible. Furthermore, someone did a transmission fluid test at 100k miles in a lab and the result comes out to be excellent. I think drain and refill is pretty good already. I just did one recently.
Old 11-05-14, 10:34 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to leave my tranny fluid in there for life (as Lexus likes to call it)

Over time it does degrade. I'm at 80K and 6 years on the car. It needs to get changed out.
Old 11-05-14, 10:36 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You'll need to ask them what they consider flush. As most will tell you only way is dropping the pan and draining it out from there. Even at the point your only getting 2 to maybe 3 quarts out that way. Im yet to seen or hear anybody doing a complete drain of the whole entire tranny.
Old 11-05-14, 10:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to leave my tranny fluid in there for life (as Lexus likes to call it)

Over time it does degrade. I'm at 80K and 6 years on the car. It needs to get changed out.
You misunderstood my post.

Like @laobo979 and I have said. You cannot flush them because the system is sealed but you can still drain and refill as that is the only possible way that I know of.

I HAVE recently drained and refilled my transmission on my IS350 lol as I agree with you that the fluid still need to be changed.

I'm thinking they just trying to convince you it is "flush" so they can rip you off. There is no such thing from what I know.
Old 11-05-14, 11:09 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there a special fluid exchanger machine that removes and replaces all the ATF? I thought I read some threads that some Lexus dealers have this
Old 11-05-14, 11:28 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSportIS
You misunderstood my post.

Like @laobo979 and I have said. You cannot flush them because the system is sealed but you can still drain and refill as that is the only possible way that I know of.

I HAVE recently drained and refilled my transmission on my IS350 lol as I agree with you that the fluid still need to be changed.

I'm thinking they just trying to convince you it is "flush" so they can rip you off. There is no such thing from what I know.
Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'll ask them. It is a Toyota dealership. I'll see if they have the necessary equipment to perform a full flush
Old 11-05-14, 11:33 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You cannot flush the IS transmission because it is sealed system. Also, it is not recommended to flush it even if it is possible. Furthermore, someone did a transmission fluid test at 100k miles in a lab and the result comes out to be excellent. I think drain and refill is pretty good already. I just did one recently.
Yes you can. When they say sealed, they just mean there's no dip stick.

As far as flushing, some Lexus dealers have a special machine to flush out the fluid. This is not the same as the standard pressurized flushing machines that are bad for transmissions that most shops have.

If the shop has the machine they will use that, if they don't they will most likely just drain and fill a couple times.
Old 11-05-14, 11:35 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Just called local Lexus dealer and they didn't recommend a flush because they said it puts a strain on the tranny. A drain and fill service would be $100. So guess I'll drain and fill myself since Lexus themselves won't perform a flush.

Just called another Lexus dealer and they do flushes for $380. So I guess it just depends
Old 11-05-14, 11:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Which Lexus dealership have this special flushing machine?? How much do they charge for this service??
Old 11-05-14, 11:37 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Just called local Lexus dealer and they didn't recommend a flush because they said it puts a strain on the tranny. A drain and fill service would be $100. So guess I'll drain and fill myself since Lexus themselves won't perform a flush.
That is what I have been telling you. Both my trusted mechanics, and Lexus dealership tells me the same thing.

Darn, you get better price than me lol. I paid $143 but I got brand new IS loaner to drive around for 2 days
Old 11-05-14, 11:46 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Which Lexus dealership have this special flushing machine?? How much do they charge for this service??
Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood apparently can do the flush for $380

Kuni Lexus only drain & fill at $100 (removes 2-3 quarts only)

The more I think about it the more I think it's safer to go drain & fill route. But my car isn't the smoothest shifting either
Old 11-05-14, 11:59 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

someone did a transmission fluid test at 100k miles in a lab and the result comes out to be excellent.
That was me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html

Quick Reply: $350 for ATF flush of RWD 2008 IS250. Fair price?