IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New owner trying to add Bass. Is my sound guy screwing with me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 11:53 AM
FlexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner trying to add Bass. Is my sound guy screwing with me?

Loving my new (to me) 2007 IS 350.

The Mark Levinson system is crisp but, as others have mentioned It's missing a distinct phatness of bass at low frequencies which I've just gotta have. My only listening experience has been satellite radio.

I had an unused 1200W kicker amp laying around and 2 Kicker 12"s in a closed box which recently came out of a buddy's car so I took them down to local audio professional to have it installed. I have done these kinds of installs before myself but wanted to leave this one to the professionals because this is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. The guy charged me $160 to run the wires from hood to trunk, connect the RCAs to the stock head unit and set up the amp/sub.

The only problem is that the new sub, which should totally bang, really just doesn't. It gets completely drowned out by the factory sub. Sound is (hardly) coming out of the subs, they are barely moving at all and are basically inaudible. I've witnessed this same equipment pumping out tons of sound

The sound guy acknowledged the weakness of the bass but claimed I just needed to spend more money ($200) with him for the purchase and installation of a line driver which he thinks may help. Call me crazy, but I get the sneaking suspicion that this guy has done something to limit the output of the audio as punishment for bringing in my own gear and not buying from his shop. I need a few questions answered and would appreciate any info you guys may have on this sort of thing.

1) Is this a common issue for people who add an additional sub and amp to the stock head unit?
2) Is the line drive a real solution?
3) Could he have missed something in the install which would cause this kind of issue? How should I begin to check his work or check to see if he tampered with my equipment?
4) Any general sound tips for a new owner?
5) I've noticed that the stock nav/radio doesn't do much equalizing, what are my options to improve that?

Thanks guys
Old 11-01-14, 01:26 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Check the FAQ section. There is a DIY on adding an aftermarket amp and sub. He may have tapped the wrong wires on your factory amp.
Old 11-01-14, 01:44 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

You cannot just simply connect RCAs to the factory headunit. IF he used RCAs, he had to use an adapter to change the RCAs connections to a "line-in" going from the factory amp to the factory headunit. The method currently just might not be giving you the right audio signal; either he used the wrong "line-in" lead or didn't setup the amp right.

Have you tried increasing the gain on the amp? Have you increased the bass output on the factory headunit?
Old 11-01-14, 09:37 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys here mentioned it correctly. You can't just plug and play. Don't trip on your amp gains, there's plenty there.I believe you need a line output converter.

check this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html
Old 11-01-14, 09:42 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot connect rca to a stock unit. When i had my bass installed with my factory system it was installed with a high to low to the factory amp in the trunk that is how it should be done. I put a after market radio and thats how i got my rca connected. The installer did something wrong, connect the high to low to your front door speakers and your bass should sound crazy loud. In the settings lower the bass as you can control it with a control from the amp.
Old 11-01-14, 09:43 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have problems come to ny and come to where i tune my music they will help you. if you are not that far from ny that is.