IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

30,000 Miles Scheduled but they act like A La Carte Doesn't Exist

Old 10-18-14, 01:27 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 Miles Scheduled but they act like A La Carte Doesn't Exist

Hey guys,

I know I made a thread a while back but finally reached that 30k miles. I've scheduled with my local Lexus dealership for the 30k miles but I've asked if they could quote me the 4 services that I want to do instead of the entire package. When asking, they all seem to act like the individual services do not exist. They are supposed to call me back sometime later today as they said every representative is too busy.

What was your experience. Obviously, only the main big services will be done at the dealership and just every other oil/filter change will be done else where.
Old 10-18-14, 03:07 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Just an update, wow they didn't call back and now they're closed. What POS people they are.
Old 10-18-14, 03:42 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You should be able to pay for what you want. I do it all the time with all of my cars different manufacturers as well.

Just schedule your 30k and when u meet with the service advisor then break it down to what you want... at least you'll already have your time slot secured.
Old 10-18-14, 03:53 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
You should be able to pay for what you want. I do it all the time with all of my cars different manufacturers as well.

Just schedule your 30k and when u meet with the service advisor then break it down to what you want... at least you'll already have your time slot secured.
Thanks, yea I'll just wait until the scheduled appointment time and just break down what I want individually. Maybe the advisor was truly busy and just forgot to call me back. The only thing that worries me is that this dealership's 30k package is more expensive than the other dealerships that I've checked.

They charge around $750 for the 30k service here compared to $540 from another Lexus dealership that is about 25-30 miles away. I guess I was worried that even with it stripped out, it'll still cost me an arm and a leg and have me trapped to pay since I already have my car docked when I meet the service advisor.
Old 10-18-14, 11:51 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eplugplay
Thanks, yea I'll just wait until the scheduled appointment time and just break down what I want individually. Maybe the advisor was truly busy and just forgot to call me back. The only thing that worries me is that this dealership's 30k package is more expensive than the other dealerships that I've checked.

They charge around $750 for the 30k service here compared to $540 from another Lexus dealership that is about 25-30 miles away. I guess I was worried that even with it stripped out, it'll still cost me an arm and a leg and have me trapped to pay since I already have my car docked when I meet the service advisor.
Ask them the right questions are the key. when you get to meet with advisor. ask him/her to print out the 30k miles service. Then you will select what type of service you will need them to perform. They have three type of services:

1) Basic - around $250 to $450
2) Forgot
3) Premium $1500 to $1700

Once you choose among those three services, then you would choose only the services you want them to perform. In my case, I choose the basic which I only had them change my engine oil and replace the oil filter which I provided the oil (7 quarts & filter) and the they charged me $30. I did not ask them to flush the brake fluid where they hook up to the machine and flush throughout the brake lines. This is the list of DIY if you can do.

Change brake fluid only in the brake reservoir. Pump out and refill
Inspect brake line for any leakage
Inspect any boots for torn or damage
Inspect cabin air and intake air filter, If dirty then replace.
Inspect fuel line for any leakage
Verify brake pads thickness should not less then 3mm, if less then 3mm need to replace. you can eye ball the thickness whether it is 3mm or not if you can by not removing the wheels.
Check coolant fluid level in the reservoir, if low, add.

Also, don't forget to ask them if they have the service program where they can customize your services selections. I don't know where you are they have this software install yet. My local Lexus they installed this new program almost a year ago where we could choose the type of services to perform.

If you can do all of above list, you can a lot of money. Then you can have them flush the brake fluid and coolant and change the spark plug when you reach 60k miles.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-14, 03:06 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Also 20-30 miles isn't that far for another Lexus dealership. I drive to the Sacramento site even though the Modesto site is closer to me just because I have had better service experiences in Sac. about 45 min away but with morning traffic can be about an hour and 15 min vs. 30 minutes to Modesto.

Give them a shot and if you still aren't happy try the other next time.
Old 10-19-14, 07:00 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to chose what you want you want to have done. Also be skeptical on what they "find" wrong with the car once you have it in there. Most of the time it's an easy buck for them to replace something since it's already in the shop. My brother had an engine mount replaced and forgot to ask which one was worn out. He assumed it was the rear since that's a pain to get to and had them do the work. It ended up being the front one that would have taken us no more than 10 minutes to replace. They charged him $200 for the part and labor. Total rip off for a $15 part and less than 15 min in labor.

Ask questions about what they find. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind doing some work tackle it yourself. Also look up Toyota dealerships for standard maintenance. They won't have loaner cars or as nice of a lounge but the labor prices also reflect that.
Old 10-19-14, 07:44 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Which dealer in TX is this?
Old 10-19-14, 08:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ivnnln
This is the list of DIY if you can do.

Change brake fluid only in the brake reservoir. Pump out and refill

No, this will leave the old contaminated fluid in the brake lines and wheel cylinders. If you are going to DIY, do it right.
Old 10-19-14, 09:31 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Which dealer in TX is this?
Westside Lexus in Houston texas. Well thanks guys I'll just have to see on next sat. If it's too expensive I'll decline and try out the other location. Thanks!
Old 10-19-14, 08:57 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eplugplay
Westside Lexus in Houston texas. Well thanks guys I'll just have to see on next sat. If it's too expensive I'll decline and try out the other location. Thanks!
Wow, thats hard to believe. I service there every once in awhile and they don't treat me like that. I'm surprised and shocked this happen to you. If it doesn't work out there, Lexus of Clear lake is much better at listening to customers needs..
Old 10-20-14, 05:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

find a new service advisor there. I havent had any issues at Westside. I use Fred Hernandez and he doesnt pressure me into services or BS me.

Honestly most of the interval services are a joke and you can easily do half of them yourself. Especially the engine and cabin filters, literally takes 5 minutes.
Old 10-20-14, 08:34 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
find a new service advisor there. I havent had any issues at Westside. I use Fred Hernandez and he doesnt pressure me into services or BS me.

Honestly most of the interval services are a joke and you can easily do half of them yourself. Especially the engine and cabin filters, literally takes 5 minutes.
The guys name was Jacob but I guess I won't know until I go there to sit down and talk to them. I won't get pressured into anything that I don't want to do.
Old 10-20-14, 08:42 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly your really don't need much at 30K. If it is time for an oil change do it. If you get high quality synthetic oil and filter you can easily go 1 year or 12K on a oil change. Go to walmart and get 7 quarts Mobil 1 and oil filter for ~$50 and labor will be $20-30 at the dealer. Brake fluid should be completely flushed every 4 years or so, not really dependent on mileage as it doesn't ware out per-say it just absorbs water in the air over time and becomes less effective. Also this is around the time your filters need to be changed if you haven't done them yet. Go to a parts store and you can buy a cabin and air filter for under $40 and it is a 20min DIYS install. Other than that you don't need any thing else. If you take it to the dealer they are going to look through your car anyways looking from problems to fix so decline that option and they will do it anyways trying to pull more money out of you.
Old 10-21-14, 10:03 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have pleasant experience with all the local Lexus dealerships in Southern California: Westminister, Longo etc I called them and ask to talk to the advisers directly and they gave me the quotes for all the services I asked. I can even bring in my own synthetic oil, my tires, brake pads ...and they gave me quotes on labor fees. I shopped around various dealerships and it seems they have very similar pricing. Some offered more discount but they were generally providing good customer service.

At 30k miles, I would do the following:

Main things:
1. Oil and oil filter change.
2. Flush the brake fluid
3. Replace engine filter.--buy it from Sewell and do it yourself (1 minute)
4. Replace air conditioner filter.--buy it from SeWell and do it yourself (1 minute)

Optional:
5. Tires and alignment (optional depending on your tires condition)
6. Rear differential fluid change--Recommended only if you autocross/track your car (I do autocross sometimes).

Last edited by FSportIS; 10-21-14 at 10:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 30,000 Miles Scheduled but they act like A La Carte Doesn't Exist