IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

anyone here have black tar spots (not tiny dots) that they cant remove?

Old 10-18-14, 10:34 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here have black tar spots (not tiny dots) that they cant remove?

Anyone here have oil like spots in couple cm length that just wont come off? Ive tried detail cleaners, wd40, tar remover and nothing. Wth is this?
Old 10-18-14, 10:41 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You try compounding it with a DA?
Old 10-18-14, 10:44 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
You try compounding it with a DA?

Sorry for the blurry pictures, this is the best I could get from my crappy phone. It seems to be just on the creases/edge of my right tail light. It is super black and when I feel the area it is still smooth to touch (not scratches). I've tried using microfiber cloth with wd-40 for 20 minutes without any success as well as a detailer. I do have a rubbing compound but I want that to be my last resort as its in the edge and it is hard to rub without rubbing some onto the tail light. Is it ok if the plastic of the tail light touches the rubbing compound. I believe it is the meguiars rubbing compound.
Old 10-18-14, 10:48 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Hard to tell from my phone but I would try heavy cutting compound at your local auto store if you haven't already try. With a micro fiber towel really work it in.
Old 10-18-14, 11:15 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before compounding, have you tried Stoner Tarminator or clay baring? Compound the edge of a panel isn't recommended.
Old 10-18-14, 11:21 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Before compounding, have you tried Stoner Tarminator or clay baring? Compound the edge of a panel isn't recommended.
I havn't tried stoner tarminator or clay baring. I'll give those a try before thanks! One thing that is weird is that its so smooth to touch, there is no bump or grit or any type of difference in the feel. Almost as if someone just sharpied it onto the edge. Anyone else have this issue before??
Old 10-18-14, 11:59 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is tar, try mineral spirits. That is low odour paint thinner, but once paint is set it won't damage it. But if you just painted your car or used a paint stick on it, don't use it You might also try isopropyl alcohol.

You could also try gasoline, but that obviously comes with a few warnings about ventilation and open flames.
Old 10-18-14, 12:12 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by scott1256c
if it is tar, try mineral spirits. That is low odour paint thinner, but once paint is set it won't damage it. But if you just painted your car or used a paint stick on it, don't use it You might also try isopropyl alcohol.

You could also try gasoline, but that obviously comes with a few warnings about ventilation and open flames.
Never painted in that area its all factory and my car is only a little over a year old (2013 model). I just happened to see it today after a car wash and it just wont go away. It looks super black and fresh tar or something. I'll have to try tarminator, maybe it'll slide right off hopefully.
Old 10-18-14, 05:45 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

That is a very odd place to have "tar"; looks more like a scratch through the paint.
Old 10-18-14, 06:14 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
That is a very odd place to have "tar"; looks more like a scratch through the paint.
I was thinking it was scratches too until I took a closer look at it and touched it as well. No scuff feeling and the surface is smooth as the rest of the body. I don't feel any difference whatsoever when touching these spots but it does look very black (paint or ink like). I guess I won't know until I get some tarminator.
Old 10-18-14, 07:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
It looks like burned edges to me... Unfortunately dealership "detailers" often go after all the new cars with a rotary polisher which can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands. The paint is thinnest on edges of panels and is often burned through (removed) by untrained and ignorant detailers.

Hard to be sure from the pics, but that is what it looks like to me. If it was tar or other surface contamination you would be able to feel it.
Old 10-18-14, 07:56 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It looks like burned edges to me... Unfortunately dealership "detailers" often go after all the new cars with a rotary polisher which can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands. The paint is thinnest on edges of panels and is often burned through (removed) by untrained and ignorant detailers.

Hard to be sure from the pics, but that is what it looks like to me. If it was tar or other surface contamination you would be able to feel it.
I would be shocked if these were burned marks as I've bought my car brand new last June and these marks suddenly appeared just recently. I've never taken it to a detailer but just a regular hand car wash. I'm just really confused on what these marks are as they don't look burned or scuffed or even dull, they are super black like fresh black ink or paint..
Old 10-18-14, 08:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by eplugplay
I would be shocked if these were burned marks as I've bought my car brand new last June and these marks suddenly appeared just recently. I've never taken it to a detailer but just a regular hand car wash. I'm just really confused on what these marks are as they don't look burned or scuffed or even dull, they are super black like fresh black ink or paint..
Ah, good news then
Old 10-18-14, 08:18 PM
eplugplay
Driver

I've tried searching for the tarminator on autozone.com but does not come up. Anyone know if they carry it?
Old 10-18-14, 08:39 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by eplugplay
I've tried searching for the tarminator on autozone.com but does not come up. Anyone know if they carry it?
http://www.detailedimage.com/Stoner-...P127/14-oz-S1/

PM me if you need any supplies. I'd be happy to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone here have black tar spots (not tiny dots) that they cant remove?