IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What to do when you debead? Serious question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 08:22 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What to do when you debead? Serious question.

What should you do.

Call tow right away? Or call a friend for a 19" rim?
Should you have equipment to take off the front bumper in case it's a flat bed tow truck and tow it to the nearest mounting shop right.
And is there anything you should do to with your rim or do you just drive on the inner barrel assuming you're doing more than -7.
Plus when there's no shoulder lane to pull into and you're forced to drive on the barrel, you go as slowly as possible to prevent the lip from bending?

Anything else? Feel free to add. Besides having 4x4 blocks in your car!
Old 10-10-14, 10:02 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a stretched tire and it debeads, you can usually take it to a near by air pump and re-bead it very easily, just have to push down in the area that unbeaded and refill with air kinda like how it beads when you first mount the tire. it would usually be enough to get you to where you have to go and then use a proper bead sealer on the rim next time around. its what I did last time my tire de-beaded and I was back on the road with in minutes. (unless of course the rum is bent) So first thing I would do is make my way to the closest gas station with an air pump.

I always carry tools in my car in case i have to take the bumper off but basic handtools should usually work. And if you are ever forced to drive on the barrel. If its a Multi-Lane road, I would just get the closest to the wall/dirt and block the lane if you have to. Or if you have enough air to get to the nearest divider intersection. unless your absolutely forced to drive on the barrel, I wouldnt because then it will cause more damage depending on the wheel. Ive seen cast wheel break because the person drove on it during a flat. At that point, you would have to replace the whole wheel
Old 10-10-14, 10:25 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I have a stretched tire and it debeads, you can usually take it to a near by air pump and re-bead it very easily, just have to push down in the area that unbeaded and refill with air kinda like how it beads when you first mount the tire. it would usually be enough to get you to where you have to go and then use a proper bead sealer on the rim next time around. its what I did last time my tire de-beaded and I was back on the road with in minutes. (unless of course the rum is bent) So first thing I would do is make my way to the closest gas station with an air pump.

I always carry tools in my car in case i have to take the bumper off but basic handtools should usually work. And if you are ever forced to drive on the barrel. If its a Multi-Lane road, I would just get the closest to the wall/dirt and block the lane if you have to. Or if you have enough air to get to the nearest divider intersection. unless your absolutely forced to drive on the barrel, I wouldnt because then it will cause more damage depending on the wheel. Ive seen cast wheel break because the person drove on it during a flat. At that point, you would have to replace the whole wheel
Thanks for the informative response, I will keep this in mind. For me, when I took off the bumper to install my fogs, it took forever.. I mean like 1 hour+.. I wonder if that's why a lot of people do the quick release mod for their car. For this kinda situation or to get up steep driveways. I've never debeaded before so it'll a little hard trying to picture what you mean by pressing on the bead. Is the sealer something you can just buy at a store and keep it in the trunk?
Old 10-10-14, 12:11 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
Thanks for the informative response, I will keep this in mind. For me, when I took off the bumper to install my fogs, it took forever.. I mean like 1 hour+.. I wonder if that's why a lot of people do the quick release mod for their car. For this kinda situation or to get up steep driveways. I've never debeaded before so it'll a little hard trying to picture what you mean by pressing on the bead. Is the sealer something you can just buy at a store and keep it in the trunk?
You can buy it but you wont really make use of it if you dont have a tire machine or dont change tires your self. Its like a rubber cement glue to keep the tire and rim together and prevent de-beading. Tire shops should be using this when they mount stretched tires. Quick release mods are cool but if you dont find your self taking off your bumper frequently, then may not be worth it but a cool cheap mod

and what i mean pulling on it is when you debead, its usually one side that de-beads and releases air so if you get to an air pump and pull the tire UP and away from the properly seated bead while pumping air into the valve stem, then you can pop it back into place. But that is just what i've done from MY experience to get back on the road quickly. I'm sure other people will have other ideas as well
Old 10-10-14, 12:47 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts