IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 2014 14.1 navigation disc on sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 07:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just stumbled upon this this evening. I have an '06 that came with v5.1 (that had that terrible 'I Agree' screen), updated to 10.1 four years ago, and I recently decided to keep the IS for a couple of more years so $115, delivered with tax in TX couldn't be passed up for a fresh new version.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-23-14 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 09:29 PM
vmichelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know when the 2015 software would be coming out? I have a funny feeling they may be discounting the price prior to the release of a new version.

Either way I'm going to have to update eventually...my '06 has version 5.1
Old 10-21-14, 09:52 PM
Redcastle
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 IS 250 AWD. I wanted to take advantage of the $99 update, but I called my dealer and they want another $100 just to install it.
Old 10-21-14, 10:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vmichelle
Does anyone know when the 2015 software would be coming out? I have a funny feeling they may be discounting the price prior to the release of a new version.

The v14.1 is the latest version, it just came out. It's just a special they are running through the end of the year, then it goes back to MSRP of $169, so it is a bargain at $94 + shipping.

This is from the Lexus Navigations website:

The MSRP for the Version 14.1 update (excluding the SD card based version for GEN8 vehicles) is $169. The MSRP of SD-Card based updates is $210 not including installation or taxes. Note: Prices may vary by dealer.

Note: V14.1 navigation maps are available at special MSRP through December 31, 2014. Non-SC card based updates (GEN4 through GEN7) are $99 MSRP and SD card updates (GEN8) are $149 MSRP for this limited time.

Please note that labor and taxes may be extra.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/
Old 10-21-14, 10:59 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 138 Posts

will this screw my ML dvd over so that my passengers can't watch dvd while i am driving
Old 10-22-14, 05:57 PM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Noob question. Picked up an '06 IS350 bout a month ago. Wanted to know how can I determine which version nav disc is in my car?
Old 10-22-14, 05:59 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Dealer told me every January.
Old 10-22-14, 06:45 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
will this screw my ML dvd over so that my passengers can't watch dvd while i am driving
The updated navigation will have no impact to your ML DVD capabilities.
Old 10-23-14, 12:35 PM
vigaita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will answer to so many questions, this info is from Lexus Knowledge Center!

Navigation

What version Navigation update is currently available for purchase from my Lexus dealer?

Version 14.1 is currently available for purchase from your Lexus dealer. It was released Fall 2014.

Where can I purchase a Navigation update for my Lexus vehicle?

Please contact your Lexus dealer to purchase a Navigation [1] update for your vehicle

[1]

Availability and accuracy of the information provided by the Navigation System or any SiriusXM services mentioned (if installed) are dependent upon many factors. Use common sense when relying on information provided. Services not available in every city or roadway. Periodic Navigation updates available at additional cost. See Navigation System Owner's Manual or contact SiriusXM for details.

When will the next Navigation update be available for purchase from my Lexus dealer?

Version 15.1 became available in Fall 2015.

How frequently does Lexus release Navigation updates?

Lexus releases Navigation [1] updates once a year (generally in Fall).

[1]

Availability and accuracy of the information provided by the Navigation System or any SiriusXM services mentioned (if installed) are dependent upon many factors. Use common sense when relying on information provided. Services not available in every city or roadway. Periodic Navigation updates available at additional cost. See Navigation System Owner's Manual or contact SiriusXM for details.

How do I know what changed from Version 13.1 to Version 14.1, so I know if it makes sense for me to purchase the update?

The Navigation [1] Release Notes provide information on changes from Version 13.1 to Version 14.1. Be sure to select the link that corresponds to the hardware system in your vehicle (GEN2/3, GEN4, GEN5 or GEN6).

[1]

Are Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands included in Lexus' map data?

Hawaii is included in the GEN5 and GEN6 Version 14.1 update only. Alaska, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands are available for GEN6 Version 14.1 updates.

Do all Version 11.1 updates eliminate the "I Agree" screen?

No, only the Version 11.1 update for vehicles with GEN5 or GEN6 hardware has the "I Agree" screen eliminated (after five seconds) once the update is installed.

What information has been changed in my area?

Due to numerous changes throughout the United States and portions of Canada, it is not possible to identify every improvement. Please refer to the Release Notes section of this website to review changes made from the prior version.

What is the general cut-off time frame for each calendar year's update?

Input for the following release in Fall is generally closed in September of the prior calendar year. For example, the information to be included on the Ver. 15.1 updates was closed in September 2014. This is necessary to allow sufficient time to verify the accuracy of data to be provided on the update.

How do I know what hardware (GEN2/3, GEN4, GEN5 or GEN6) my vehicle has so I am sure to purchase the correct update?

Select the "What to Order" tab in this website. Lexus vehicles and the applicable map update will be listed by Navigation [1] GEN (hardware used by your vehicle).

[1]

What do GEN2/3, GEN4, GEN5 and GEN6 mean?

The term "GEN" refers to the hardware in your vehicle. As successive versions of navigation hardware are introduced in Lexus vehicles, a new "GEN" is launched. A vehicle's "GEN" of hardware never changes. For example, if your vehicle is a GEN4 vehicle it will always be a GEN4 vehicle.

Does Lexus provide free map updates?

No, Lexus does not provide free map updates.

How much does a Navigation update cost?

The MSRP for the Version 14.1 update is $169 not including taxes and labor if required for its installation. Actual dealer price may vary.

Why do I have to pay for Navigation updates?

The Navigation [1] updates contain not only map data but POI (points of interest) and other information that must be obtained from several sources at a cost to Lexus. Additionally, the data on the DVDs is verified by driving the routes to ensure the most accurate data is made available.

[1]

Why do Lexus' map updates cost as much as some handheld GPS devices?

Lexus sources its map information from more than one supplier. Additionally, Lexus validates the information it obtains for its annual updates. Many suppliers of handheld devices do not go through a validation process.

Can I get map DVDs for other countries?

The Navigation hardware used in other countries is different from that used for Lexus vehicles manufactured for sale in the United States. The DVDs and USB keys for other countries are not compatible with the hardware in U.S. specification vehicles.

Can my Navigation System provide map coverage for Mexico?

Coverage for Mexico is not currently available.

How can I report map errors or missing locations?

Please report your feedback using the "Submit Feedback" tab in this website.

How long does it take for a reported error to be corrected and included in a map update?

Error correction is a matter of timing within the normal map database development process. The time can range anywhere from several months to almost two years.

Can I install a Navigation update?

Yes, some vehicles are accessible enough for customers to install the update. Your dealership would be best able to advise you if your vehicle is one of those.

Does installation of a Navigation update change the way my Navigation display looks or operates?

No, a Navigation [1] update only updates map and POI (points of interest) information.

[1]

Can I install a Navigation update from another vehicle manufacturer or mapping system?

No, mapping software from companies other than Lexus is not compatible with the Lexus Navigation System [1].

[1]

Who provides the map and data content for Lexus' Navigation updates?

Denso works with NAVTEQ, Tele Atlas and InfoUSA to gather information for Lexus' Navigation [1] updates.

[1]

Is there a monthly service fee associated with the use of the GPS Navigation System?

No, no monthly fees are associated with the use of the GPS Navigation System [1] as the United States government manages the constellation of global positioning satellites. A separate fee may be associated for the use of Enform [2] services on properly equipped vehicles.

[1]

[2]

Always drive safely, obey traffic laws & focus on the road while driving. Apps/services vary by phone/carrier; functionality depends on many factors. Select apps use large amounts of data, you are responsible for charges. Apps/services are subject to change. Apps identified by ™ or ® are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. For enrollment, cost and more details, see lexus.com/enform.

How does the Navigation System work?

Lexus' Navigation System [1] uses signals from Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites and in-vehicle sensors which the in-vehicle navigation ECU uses to calculate vehicle location.

[1]

Can I play DVD movies or audio CDs with my Navigation System?

Yes, in most models equipped with a Lexus Navigation System [1], DVDs can be viewed when the parking brake is engaged. See your Owner's Manual for details.

[1]

How often do I need to purchase a Navigation update?

Purchase of a Navigation [1] update is optional. Updates provide new map and POI (points of interest) information you may find helpful.

[1]

Can I get a map update for my 1998 to 2000 Lexus?

Lexus still makes map hard drives for 1998 to 2000 model year vehicles available through an exchange program with your Lexus dealer. Customers need to be aware that the CY2004 data is the most recent that was made available on these hard drives due to memory limitations. This option may be useful to customers whose hard drives are not working or who never updated to the CY2004 map data.
Old 10-23-14, 12:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

It (v14) just came out - its generally released every October. It's priced at $99 until December at dealers (less at Sewell with our CL discount as linked above) so skip the old versions and get the new one unless you pick one up in the classifieds here super cheap.
Old 10-24-14, 08:51 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It (v14) just came out - its generally released every October. It's priced at $99 until December at dealers (less at Sewell with our CL discount as linked above) so skip the old versions and get the new one unless you pick one up in the classifieds here super cheap.
Does it typically go up, or down, in price after December?
Old 10-24-14, 08:51 AM
felixd6
Driver School Candidate

I haven't seen this question addressed anywhere so here goes. In my 6th gen nav unit there seems to be an update feature for maps which leads to a warning screen about being charged if I go through with the update. Is this some form of over the air function or is it simply the initial screen for the dealership to set it up? Who exactly gets charged?

I'm leaning towards it being the first option since it would be a bit counter intuitive for that warning to be displayed to a dealership doing an install. Has anyone ever tried it?
Old 10-24-14, 09:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Does it typically go up, or down, in price after December?
This sale is the first one offered like this. It will definitely go up from what they've said after the initial offer through Dec. Believe normally $169
Old 11-22-14, 09:39 AM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

Purchased 14.1 for $99 from dealer and installed myself. My '09 is250 nav disc has never been updated and was very inaccurate. 14.1 is great! Only problem was removing clock display panel to get to the nav dvd. I did not realize that the precision screwdrivers the instructions (see attachment) talk about where in the tools kit in the trunk, without finding a previous thread about this I would have wasted more time and money to remove the paneling. I love this helpful forum!
Attached Files
Old 11-30-14, 10:47 AM
ArcES330
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Site Sponsor Sewell is selling the DVD for $93.94 to CL members.

Lou8
Sorry dumb question. Where did you find the Sewell CL member discount promote code?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: New 2014 14.1 navigation disc on sale