IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Defective OEM IS250 all weather mats from Sewell Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 08:37 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective OEM IS250 all weather mats from Sewell Parts?

So I just received the OEM All Weather Mats from Sewell Parts and after 2-3 days of use they are already falling apart? They looked great the first day but now the rubber seems to be completely deteriorating and I think that the item might be defective.

They should not have started falling apart after only 2-3 days of use?

Also when I received them that had a thick slippery layer of oil on them when I took them out the bag. They where slippery and almost mad me scared to drive but I wiped them down. But then like I said after only 2-3 day they look like they are falling apart?

Anyone else experience this? Should I return them to Sewell or bring them to the dealer?

See picture attached.

Old 10-01-14, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

So it appears that the heel of your foot is making that area of rubber disappear there...correct? Definitely something I'd address after ONLY 3 days of use!
Old 10-01-14, 10:57 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All Weather From Sewell Parts

You should email the defect with photos to Sewell so they can be awared of what just happen just a few days of used. I also just order a set from them. I will get mine this Friday. I will observe closely about the slippery out of the box and along with any others defects. I will update you. May be your set was setting in the shelf pass it shell-life. All products have it shell-life. Once it reached their shell-life, the material start to deteriorate and fall off. I know there must be real time aging and accelerate aging done to these all weather mats, but I don't know how long it will last. Sewell, they are pretty good; they will give you a new set. No worry.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-14, 06:03 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Still no response from Sewell They propably think I am trying to scheme and return them my old / used mats. Either that or they are aware of the issue and are not trying to get stuck with the open item?

It sucks cause in this situation nobody really wins. Thinking of bringing it up to my Lexus Service rep.... kind of wish I bought them there in the first place now.

Originally Posted by ivnnln
You should email the defect with photos to Sewell so they can be awared of what just happen just a few days of used. I also just order a set from them. I will get mine this Friday. I will observe closely about the slippery out of the box and along with any others defects. I will update you. May be your set was setting in the shelf pass it shell-life. All products have it shell-life. Once it reached their shell-life, the material start to deteriorate and fall off. I know there must be real time aging and accelerate aging done to these all weather mats, but I don't know how long it will last. Sewell, they are pretty good; they will give you a new set. No worry.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-14, 10:38 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrfresh
Still no response from Sewell They propably think I am trying to scheme and return them my old / used mats. Either that or they are aware of the issue and are not trying to get stuck with the open item?

It sucks cause in this situation nobody really wins. Thinking of bringing it up to my Lexus Service rep.... kind of wish I bought them there in the first place now.
Call to the regular part dept. at (214) 352-8100 and ask them nicely that you are having trouble of getting response about the defect parts. Have your order # ready when you talk to them, and ask them to help if they can track the online part guys for you with this issue. It happened to me a while back that I did not get any response for online part, and I went this route which it worked for me. I should get my all weather floor mats today around 1:30pm and I will update whether mine is the same defect as yours. Call them up. If you just had it for a few days and already worn out, they will give you a new set. They are pretty good with satisfy their customers.
Old 10-03-14, 02:38 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrfresh
So I just received the OEM All Weather Mats from Sewell Parts and after 2-3 days of use they are already falling apart? They looked great the first day but now the rubber seems to be completely deteriorating and I think that the item might be defective.

They should not have started falling apart after only 2-3 days of use?

Also when I received them that had a thick slippery layer of oil on them when I took them out the bag. They where slippery and almost mad me scared to drive but I wiped them down. But then like I said after only 2-3 day they look like they are falling apart?

Anyone else experience this? Should I return them to Sewell or bring them to the dealer?

See picture attached.

I ordered mine with four pieces which it has a different texture and designed. I don't see any peeling or flaking off on both surfaces of the mats. The one you have; it's only came in two pieces according the Sewell website. Mine the rubbers are medium soft and flexible. Have you try to call them yet?
Attached Thumbnails Defective OEM IS250 all weather mats from Sewell Parts?-dsc_2808.jpg  
Old 10-03-14, 03:58 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

You have the old style versus the new hexagon style. The old style rubber is thin where your right foot rests. It has been discussed in the forums before.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...loor-mats.html
Old 10-03-14, 04:49 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iNfectious
You have the old style versus the new hexagon style. The old style rubber is thin where your right foot rests. It has been discussed in the forums before.

I think the new style only come in two pieces on their website. I did not see any four pieces with new style. The date of manufacture shown on back of all four mats in 4-7-2014. I think they are still making them with old style. I will check with Sewell if they have new style with four pieces.

Thank you.
Old 10-05-14, 09:07 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ivnnln
I think the new style only come in two pieces on their website. I did not see any four pieces with new style. The date of manufacture shown on back of all four mats in 4-7-2014. I think they are still making them with old style. I will check with Sewell if they have new style with four pieces.

Thank you.
They do have the new style all-weather floor mats on Sewel with all 4 pieces.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/5180.html

I have the new style AWD 4 piece all-weather floor mats for a few weeks now with no issues.
Old 10-06-14, 11:29 AM
vigaita
Driver School Candidate

I have this exact problem too from the time when Lexus recalled and replaced my front (driver and passenger) mats couple years ago do to stuck pedal thing. Since then I am missing my original mats (with deep grooves) what came with the new car and now I have just in rear mats left of this type. They were holding better snow and moisture in these grooves, not like these "better and safer" which started peeling few months after installation.
Old 01-11-15, 12:09 PM
flis250
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. Brought mine from Sewell about a month ago and the rubber is peeling/rubbing away. I don't wear any type of abrasive work boots so not sure why they are falling apart. When I recieved the mats they were oily as well. Has anyone found a resolution with Sewell about these defective floor mats? I'm trying to figure out what to do next since mine are getting worse by the day and the little rubber pieces are making a mess of the surrounding carpet.
Old 01-11-15, 03:13 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Floor Mats

After two or three sets of buying the Lexus floor mats. I went with Weather Tech ones. Now all of the cars have them.
Old 01-11-15, 03:39 PM
flis250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFWes
After two or three sets of buying the Lexus floor mats. I went with Weather Tech ones. Now all of the cars have them.
I might have to do just that. I bought the WeatherTech mats for the back and I'm very pleased with them. However as I posted above, my front Lexus mats from Sewell are almost destroyed after a month.
Old 01-11-15, 04:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iNfectious

Those are the mats that Lexus issued after the recall.

Call Sewell--they will take care of it.