IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alternator & o2 Sensor faulty after engine ZLA service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 01:48 PM
ayb88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator & o2 Sensor faulty after engine ZLA service?

Hi all,

Just recently (2 months ago) had the ZLA service performed by my local dealership for my girlfriends 08 is250, along with it, they recommended I replace the waterpump since it was due and it was already within reach as they were doing the ZLA. Also had the sparkplugs changed. I'm at 102k right now.

2 Weeks after the service was done, the engine check light had come on in her car. She remembered a while ago that it had come on when she didn't close the fuel filler cap securely. So promptly that's what she checked for, and low and behold, the fuel filler cap was not on tight.

Now, after almost 6 weeks, the engine light was still on. And with that, the battery light had come on. Lexus, for the past 3 services had always recommended a battery replacement, but I always rejected it. So I thought, hmm, maybe I should just replace it myself now, since Winter is Coming.

After I replaced the battery, the light was still on. Took it to my own mechanic. He checked the battery and said the alternator was not charging it properly. The battery light in the dash goes on an off as you drive. So he said the alternator needs to be replaced.

In regards to the engine check light. I figured if it was indeed the fuel filler cap, then replacing the battery (disconnecting the ECU) will surely reset this light and it'll be sorted out. Wrong. Almost immidiately after turning the car back on after new battery was in, the engine check light came on too. My mechanic hooked up his obd2 computer, and said it was the o2 sensor.

I read somewhere on this forum that sometimes when waterpump replacements are being performed, it could interfere with the alternator or something of that sort?

I don't want to pin this to my dealership, because obviously things will go wrong with a car, but is there a chance that it could have indeed been something that the dealership made a mistake with/improper installation?

Thanks!

08 is250 RWD 102k miles auto
Old 09-27-14, 04:53 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's a ZLA service?
Old 09-27-14, 05:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so i don't believe i have had zla done, can't remember, maybe it doesn't apply i have an is350....but i have similar problem as you. check engine light is on and battery died. this is not oem battery but an aftermarket autozone battery. i took my car to dealership because of check engine light and bad smell and hard to start and they told me the cat converter needs to be replaced for $2k. next day my car died. i got it jumped and went to auto zone where they replace my battery with a fresh one under warranty and i no longer have hard starts and the horrible smell is gone (the old battery was actually smoking and causing most of the bad smell).

but i still get the check engine light on and off and the gas cap is tight and didn't really affect it. my local garage says cat is clogging up and he can do it for $1.3k. i can still smell but it's not nearly as bad. no loss of power no problems driving. just check engine lights ON.
Old 09-27-14, 06:47 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Get that alternator AND gas cap replaced. Reset systems and report back.
Old 09-28-14, 06:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
but i still get the check engine light on and off and the gas cap is tight and didn't really affect it. my local garage says cat is clogging up and he can do it for $1.3k. i can still smell but it's not nearly as bad. no loss of power no problems driving. just check engine lights ON.
Kensteele, there is a chance your local garage may be misdiagnosing the problem. An extremely common problem with our cars is that the Y pipe ahead of the cats will rust and develop small holes underneath the heat shield. The result of this exhaust leak is that the cats take much longer than normal to heat up enough to light off, causing the computer to sporadically record P0420 and/or P0430 codes (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold). The heat shield muffles the noise somewhat, but you should be able to hear it when you first start the car up in the garage if this is your problem.
Old 09-28-14, 04:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Kensteele, there is a chance your local garage may be misdiagnosing the problem. An extremely common problem with our cars is that the Y pipe ahead of the cats will rust and develop small holes underneath the heat shield. The result of this exhaust leak is that the cats take much longer than normal to heat up enough to light off, causing the computer to sporadically record P0420 and/or P0430 codes (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold). The heat shield muffles the noise somewhat, but you should be able to hear it when you first start the car up in the garage if this is your problem.
thanks i'll have a look for those holes, maybe save me a alot of trouble. appreciate it.
Old 09-30-14, 08:42 AM
ayb88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Get that alternator AND gas cap replaced. Reset systems and report back.
Got a quote from the dealership.

Alternator parts & Labor: $1300

o2 sensor: $550.