IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 10:36 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?

Hey guys, I just traded my 2011 IS350 with the standard audio/navigation system in and let me tell you I was 100 percent satisfied with the sound. In fact I thought it was fantastic.

After hearing how awesome the Mark Levinson system upgrade was, I made that one of my must have option when shopping for my IS-F.

So I finally took delivery of my 2012 IS-F last weekend with the ML upgraded audio and all I can say is that it sounds pretty horrid. Highs are okay, mids sound muddy, there is a complete lack of bass. Even with the bass slider all the way maxed out, it puts out half the bass of my standard IS350 system at mid point. It's so bad it rivals my friend's Bose system in his G37.

What's going on here guys? Is there something I need to check? Where is the factory ML amp located?

I remember the ML system upgrade was also pretty subpar in my sister's GS350 but pretty decent in my other sister's ES350. Is this system hit or miss depending on vehicle?

Absolutely LOVE my IS-F but the ML audio left me sorely dissapointed. ;(
Old 09-25-14, 11:03 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I never heard the ML in the 350/F cuz I have a 250 so I can't get the option but I think it's the best BASE sounding speaker system I've ever heard. It almost rivals my M3 with the upgraded $1900 sound option and 825 watts of sound or something. The M3 just has more power (can sound louder without changing quality) and the highs are more crisp. It has dual 8" subs under each seat and though it's nice, the Lexus BASE system sounds just as satisfying.

The only thing is, when you turn it up in the Lexus to that loud but perfect volume, rattles rattles rattles, in the front doors and rear trunk liner or something... if anyone knows how to fix this let me know!
Old 09-25-14, 11:23 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrHarris
I never heard the ML in the 350/F cuz I have a 250 so I can't get the option but I think it's the best BASE sounding speaker system I've ever heard. It almost rivals my M3 with the upgraded $1900 sound option and 825 watts of sound or something. The M3 just has more power (can sound louder without changing quality) and the highs are more crisp. It has dual 8" subs under each seat and though it's nice, the Lexus BASE system sounds just as satisfying.

The only thing is, when you turn it up in the Lexus to that loud but perfect volume, rattles rattles rattles, in the front doors and rear trunk liner or something... if anyone knows how to fix this let me know!
Agreed. I had the upgraded Logic 7 system in my 335i and thought it sounded amazing, the base IS350 system rocks my socks off just as well.

I've had passengers asked what kinda sub I have in the trunk, it truly sounds amazing for being the base system. The Mark Levinson upgrade sounds like crap compared to it, I think it might be tuned for classical music only. LOL.
Old 09-25-14, 11:25 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Oh and I've tried all different sources to see if that made a difference, bluetooth streaming, SAT radio, USB stick, iPod and CD. All sound equally crappy.
Old 09-25-14, 12:00 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrHarris

Try sound deadening, like Dyamat. It can alleviate the rattling.
Old 09-25-14, 01:11 PM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
I've had passengers asked what kinda sub I have in the trunk, it truly sounds amazing for being the base system. The Mark Levinson upgrade sounds like crap compared to it, I think it might be tuned for classical music only. LOL.
LMFAO! Thats funny.... I love my base system ....
Old 09-25-14, 01:21 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ML was really just higher brand speakers than the stock. I also thing the ML had 13 speakers (15 in the 3rd gen) instead of the non ML which had 7 and it covered a wider range of audio. I know ML biggest feature was to have a higher output with less distortion so it may not be as bass-y and louder but over all cleaner sound to the human ear.

It may not be noticeable in your car, depending on the device, since most devices now days output just basic 2.1 stereo since its the most compatible with everything (1/8th inch AUX or BlueTooth does that) but if you can get an audio CD that will do the full 5/7.1 surround, then you can hear the difference. I've noticed CD's (purchased more so than burned CD's) sound MUCH better than AUX plugin's

If you think its bad, get a sound test CD that does different channels and make sure you don't have any bad speakers. If your phone , or MP3 player can output 5.1 (nokia Lumia 530 has 5.1) then there are some youtube videos that you can do a sound test with as well that we use pretty frequently at work. I work in AV so PM me and I can recommend a few

Personally, in my car, I really just want to jam out so i would never want to splurge on the ML package, since the standard audio is pretty clean. ML gets into a whole new realm of audio in a home theater setup though where the money should be spent

Last edited by NYKnick101; 09-25-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 01:24 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Have you tried turning the surround sound off? Unless you're listening to a high quality source like DVD-A and such, it sounds better with the surround turned off.
Old 09-25-14, 02:09 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by offroad200
Have you tried turning the surround sound off? Unless you're listening to a high quality source like DVD-A and such, it sounds better with the surround turned off.
I've toggled that on and off and I think it actually sounded better with surround on through my ears. I'll give it another shot today after work.
Old 09-25-14, 02:18 PM
2IS_Girl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you've tried this already, but play around with the audio settings some more. You'll want the sound focused more towards the front speakers rather than dead center. Treble, mid, bass is all personal preference. I'm a stickler for high quality sound and that alone makes a world of difference.
Old 09-25-14, 02:21 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

aftermarket over ML anyday. a simple jl 12w6 with some focal components would blow it out of the water!
Old 09-25-14, 07:20 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 638 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
aftermarket over ML anyday. a simple jl 12w6 with some focal components would blow it out of the water!
One could also just remove the factory subs on their BASE IS system....and add one of those famous JL subs (Mine's a W3) in a custom-fiberglass enclosure.....with an amp and bass ****, of course....
Attached Thumbnails How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?-trunk.jpg   How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?-trunk1.jpg   How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?-trunk2.jpg   How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?-trunk3.jpg   How come the Standard Stereo sounds way better than the ML option?-trunk5.jpg  

Old 09-27-14, 07:53 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
The ML was really just higher brand speakers than the stock. I also thing the ML had 13 speakers (15 in the 3rd gen) instead of the non ML which had 7 and it covered a wider range of audio. I know ML biggest feature was to have a higher output with less distortion so it may not be as bass-y and louder but over all cleaner sound to the human ear.
Not true, the amplifier in the ML is much better than the stock system, putting out 300W from 20Hz to 20kHz at <0.1% vs. the stock 194W at unknown bandwidth , plus ML has upgraded and more speakers. If you are getting lousy sound you are probably feeding it crappy compressed MP3 digital files which will expose the inherent faults in the source music. The fault is in the music, not the ML system. It's no different than a high quality audio system at home, you can't feed it a lousy signal and expect it to sound good.
Old 09-27-14, 11:18 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Not true, the amplifier in the ML is much better than the stock system, putting out 300W from 20Hz to 20kHz at <0.1% vs. the stock 194W at unknown bandwidth , plus ML has upgraded and more speakers. If you are getting lousy sound you are probably feeding it crappy compressed MP3 digital files which will expose the inherent faults in the source music. The fault is in the music, not the ML system. It's no different than a high quality audio system at home, you can't feed it a lousy signal and expect it to sound good.
I understand that, but how come when I feed my IS350 the SAME music from my CD's, USB Stick, Ipod, it sounds amazing. Yet the same content sounds horrid on the ML system?

Does the ML system not cope well with compressed MP3's and regular store bought CDs?
Old 09-27-14, 11:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^Store bought CDs should sounds good, as they are uncompressed audio files.

I haven't had much experience with ML, but I will agree that the stock system sounds amazing - people have asked me many times if I upgraded my audio!

By horrid - what do you mean exactly? Just asking because some people have different definitions of "great" sound ...