IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing vents problem !

Old 09-23-14, 07:38 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing vents problem !

Hi,

I need to remove the vents to get the Nav unit out for fixing the freezing screen . However , I have faced one clip that fail to move to open "down" position , how can I overcome this problem ?!

I tried to remove with this clip up but I only ended up damaging the dashboard more , since it is already sticky and melting due to bad quality of lexus interior materials in the IS.

Can someone help me out in urgent ??

Old 09-23-14, 10:50 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Trying pushing the clip to one side after you pulled it down. Basically push down the clip at an angle with your screwdriver
Old 09-23-14, 02:21 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like your screwdriver is slipping? Try using a second screwdriver. use the first to get the clip down a bit and use the second to finish the job
Old 09-24-14, 03:32 AM
See5
Pole Position

hey , I have used a second and third screw driver , the clip will never click down .

And the vents will never move out even though I have already made 3 clips click down . This is frustrating , I am going to a workshop maybe they can help . Already damaged my dashboard though.
Old 09-24-14, 03:09 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It looks like you are doing it right, but the clip is broken (there is a clip that locks it down). I have one of my vent clip broken like that. I completely remove that clip after I took the vent out.

The trick to getting the vent out is to use a screw driver to hold the broken clip in the down position and pry out the vent while holding it down (might be easier with 3 hands or 2 people).
Old 09-25-14, 02:57 AM
See5
Pole Position

Attention , A FIX !

I went to the workshop and unlike what all of you assume to put the clips in down position , they should be in the up position !! .

Once they are up you simply use a special tool and there are two locations in the mid of both sides in the top that act for grabbing the vents out .

Once you grab it out only the outter trim will come out . Then you simply take the vents out easily as they will be already loose .

The reason why you should put the clips up instead of down is to separate the outter vents trim from the vents themselves .

This was done in one minute in the workshop and I paid 20$ for that !!!

You must have the tool though . You might be able to take the whole unit out by the common way but in my case this was not successful and I ended up damaging the dashboard because it was solid stick inside .
Old 09-26-14, 09:42 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Why is your dash all chewed up around the vents?
Old 09-26-14, 02:56 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by See5
Attention , A FIX !

I went to the workshop and unlike what all of you assume to put the clips in down position , they should be in the up position !! .

Once they are up you simply use a special tool and there are two locations in the mid of both sides in the top that act for grabbing the vents out .

Once you grab it out only the outter trim will come out . Then you simply take the vents out easily as they will be already loose .

The reason why you should put the clips up instead of down is to separate the outter vents trim from the vents themselves .

You must have the tool though . You might be able to take the whole unit out by the common way but in my case this was not successful and I ended up damaging the dashboard because it was solid stick inside .
What did the tool look like? Was it a plastic pry tool?
Old 09-26-14, 04:25 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attention , A FIX !

This may have worked, but I am not sure this is the correct procedure.

The vents should come out as one complete unit. OP is doing it correctly, and if the last clip is held down while you pull out, it should work. As others have mentioned, the last clip is supposed to lock down as the rest do, but it is broken.

On a side note, I had no clue how to get mine out when I removed it and eventually got mad and got it out in pieces. It worked, but it damaged clips and pieces. My vents completely dismantled and all the fins that direct air flow were everywhere. Had to build it back together like a puzzle.

I have a feeling yours is just kinda jammed in there hard.
Old 09-27-14, 03:49 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by getafewliv
This may have worked, but I am not sure this is the correct procedure.

The vents should come out as one complete unit. OP is doing it correctly, and if the last clip is held down while you pull out, it should work. As others have mentioned, the last clip is supposed to lock down as the rest do, but it is broken.

On a side note, I had no clue how to get mine out when I removed it and eventually got mad and got it out in pieces. It worked, but it damaged clips and pieces. My vents completely dismantled and all the fins that direct air flow were everywhere. Had to build it back together like a puzzle.

I have a feeling yours is just kinda jammed in there hard.

It was jammed hard inside .

The outter trim can de-attach from the vents , it is only connected by these clips and other plastic clips .

The tool is not plastic and no pry were used . By this way I could have avoided damaging my dashboard .

The tool latches and grabs the trim and it has a head like this ____/

there are two spots for grabbing and they are between each pair of the four clips .

Keep in mind that the guy who used this method has actually worked with Toyota for years .

I will try to post some pics if someone having problem still
Old 09-27-14, 03:52 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Why is your dash all chewed up around the vents?
Because it is sticky and so soft that even if you touch it it would scratch . Bad quality . My IS350 is 2007 and the dash was not replaced . I will try to replace the dash or put a cover on it today .
Old 09-27-14, 12:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

With the way your dash is and the broken clip, the guy probably did the right thing the way he got it out. But how you initially did it is how it's suppose to come out. When all the clips are down, you can use that hook tool to pull it out, and the whole thing will come out. If you don't have the hook tool, you can pry it from the sides -- if the dash is not crumbling already.

Old 09-27-14, 01:01 PM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nosurprise
With the way your dash is and the broken clip, the guy probably did the right thing the way he got it out. But how you initially did it is how it's suppose to come out. When all the clips are down, you can use that hook tool to pull it out, and the whole thing will come out. If you don't have the hook tool, you can pry it from the sides -- if the dash is not crumbling already.

Lexus IS 350/250 Vent Removal - YouTube
We used extreme force to get them out without a success , A CL member also tried to take it out with force and failed .

Anyway the first method will damage your dashboard maybe that is way I am recommending you not to use it .
Old 09-27-14, 05:11 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of this would be great. 3 of my clips are broken and I am having problems removing. I would love to see pics of the 2nd method.

It was jammed hard inside .

The outter trim can de-attach from the vents , it is only connected by these clips and other plastic clips .

The tool is not plastic and no pry were used . By this way I could have avoided damaging my dashboard .

The tool latches and grabs the trim and it has a head like this ____/

there are two spots for grabbing and they are between each pair of the four clips .

Keep in mind that the guy who used this method has actually worked with Toyota for years .

I will try to post some pics if someone having problem still
Old 09-28-14, 08:35 AM
See5
Pole Position

How to remove the outer trim of the vents .

Don't worry about breaking something while doing so . I can't really find a name for the tool used but it looks like a screwdriver but the head of it is twisted with some slope to grab

Imagine the tool like this starting from where you hold it

=------/

I would recommend going to workshop if you don't have such tool and not damage your dashboard like mine

This damage because I tried to use different method than the one using a tool to grab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing vents problem !