IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

seized shock bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 02:25 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Default seized shock bolt

I'm trying to install some f-sport springs and I am having trouble removing the bottom bolt at the control arm for the rear shock. I got the nut off but the bolt turns maybe a quarter turn and then just gets stuck. I have sprayed all kinds of penetrating oil, I have gone at it with my impact gun, I have tapped the nut side with a mini sledge and I have put a three foot breaker bar without any susccess. With the break bar I can turn it a bit more than with the impact gun but it really doesn't want to come out. Ican't take the control arm off either because the inner most pivot bolt seems also to be seized in place.

Really disappointing because the car is an '09 so not that old. I have had better success with my GS4 when it was already more than ten years old.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-14, 02:42 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I'm trying to install some f-sport springs and I am having trouble removing the bottom bolt at the control arm for the rear shock. I got the nut off but the bolt turns maybe a quarter turn and then just gets stuck. I have sprayed all kinds of penetrating oil, I have gone at it with my impact gun, I have tapped the nut side with a mini sledge and I have put a three foot breaker bar without any susccess. With the break bar I can turn it a bit more than with the impact gun but it really doesn't want to come out. Ican't take the control arm off either because the inner most pivot bolt seems also to be seized in place.

Really disappointing because the car is an '09 so not that old. I have had better success with my GS4 when it was already more than ten years old.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

I used a small mallet and some WD40 to pound it out and then a screw driver with the mallet to pound it out the rest of the way. Make sure you have loosened the first nut and bolt on the arm (C) and taken out the others. See pdf file
Attached Files

Last edited by Meguerra; 09-16-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 02:54 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For that bolt, after the nut is removed can you just hammer/tap it out with a chisel? I dont recall having to turn it for it to come out.

Also, maybe put a jack under the lca and lift to take weight off bolt. Its impt to remove the bolts referenced in the above diagram in the correct order, otherwise its a pita to take out.
Old 09-16-14, 04:01 PM
DeanIS
Rookie

be VERY careful with the screwdriver that you DO NOT strip the thread on the bolt. I did with mine and had to retap the thread. PITA. GL
Old 09-16-14, 05:57 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Yeah, I thought the shock body was attached to the LCA was a bolt with a nut on the end. If it is giving you trouble, it could be that the shock metal collar itself rusted to the bolt, thus causing the issue. To see if this is the issue, turn the bolt either way; if it doesn't turn, you might have what I just described. Perhaps some heat from a torch might help.
Old 09-16-14, 06:08 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.

The bolt does turn just a bit, maybe a quarter turn at most then it wont budge.

I have done the other side which was a piece of cake the bolt practically fell out so I am really perplexed as to why the passenger side is practically seized in there.

I might have to button the car back up and take it to a shop and see if they will take the bolt out for me or just do that shock/spring.
Old 09-17-14, 12:06 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

^I posted the above scenario because it had actually happened to me, but on a different car. But both cars have the same type of independent rear suspension and similar LCA design. Both had a simple bolt-through shock body design, and my driver's side rear was completely frozen. I ended up Dremeling the bolt ends off from each side of the LCA, and let the remaining bolt chuck remain in the shock, since I was replacing the shocks anyways.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-16, 02:49 PM
AAlmeida
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 Window Replacement

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if it's a bad idea to go with aftermarket vs. OEM replacement glass. My Lexus was broken into this past week while at church! Yes church. Anyone know a good glass company in Sugarland TX?
Old 09-11-16, 10:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^This is a thread about shock absorber bolts! How to you interpret it to mean replacement glass? And, what glass are you talking about. windshield, side door window, back window

Here's a lost of threads with windshield in the title:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=14238623

Lou
Old 09-11-16, 11:04 PM
LucianoLee
Driver

Try to jack it up and lower it to find your sweet spot to align the bolt with the hole. "It" means the whole control arm.