IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Universal solution to clunking noise in bc coilovers (passenger rear)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 04:29 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Universal solution to clunking noise in bc coilovers (passenger rear)?

So I know there are plenty of threads regarding this but I'm still confused as to why there are so many different solutions and not one universal one. The clunking noise only comes from the passenger rear strut when going over small uneven surfaces. When driving over large bumps, there's no noise whatsoever.

So long story short, I installed my 14k/12k regular spring bc coilovers out of the box without checking to make sure all four were preloaded evenly, but had 0 problems. So I just installed stiffer ones yesterday and I even made sure all four springs were compressed to 8 inches but then the problem occurred. So I'm wondering if it's a common installation mistake because the passenger rear was installed last.

I'm going to lower the rear more tomorrow so I'll also check out to make sure everything is tightened.

So for anyone who has fixed this problem, can you let me know what your solution was. I've seen threads about this dating back to 2011 so I'm pretty sure you didn't just deal with it for three years LOL.

Circuit Motorsports told me that I should double check the mounting points and that the locking rings are snug. And to also check the 17mm nut under the dampener. Anything else? No way preload is off! I took a look at the mounting points and it looks pretty tight.. Should I try and force it tighter.

Last edited by BoyOhBoy; 09-11-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 05:16 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
So I know there are plenty of threads regarding this but I'm still confused as to why there are so many different solutions and not one universal one. The clunking noise only comes from the passenger rear strut when going over small uneven surfaces. When driving over large bumps, there's no noise whatsoever.

So long story short, I installed my 14k/12k regular spring bc coilovers out of the box without checking to make sure all four were preloaded evenly, but had 0 problems. So I just installed stiffer ones yesterday and I even made sure all four springs were compressed to 8 inches but then the problem occurred. So I'm wondering if it's a common installation mistake because the passenger rear was installed last.

I'm going to lower the rear more tomorrow so I'll also check out to make sure everything is tightened.

So for anyone who has fixed this problem, can you let me know what your solution was. I've seen threads about this dating back to 2011 so I'm pretty sure you didn't just deal with it for three years LOL.

Circuit Motorsports told me that I should double check the mounting points and that the locking rings are snug. And to also check the 17mm nut under the dampener. Anything else? No way preload is off! I took a look at the mounting points and it looks pretty tight.. Should I try and force it tighter.

When you find the answer let me know. If you do a google search you will see other car makes and models exhibiting a clunk on the passenger rear.

The only universal solution I see is to call BC and get the cartridge replaced. My rear clunks and now my left front. I have tightened the upper 17 with an impact. Perfect preload all around with a depth gauge. No fix. I am this week going to double my preload and see what happens
Old 09-09-14, 10:05 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Anyone else know what's up?
Old 09-09-14, 10:43 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When it came to clunking with coilovers, the only issues ive ever had was either bad strut cartridge OR improper preload and the spring is bouncing around. If its the later, you might want to double check where your lowering the spring from, is it from the bottom perch of the spring OR the lower mount that connects to the strut cartridge.

Preload should stay the same and you should be lowering from the lower mounting point. (at least thats how most modern coilovers work). there are some coils that i had like APexi WS coilovers that lowers from the spring and needed a helper spring to help with the spring staying in place
Old 09-10-14, 11:26 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Man, I really hope it's a minor issue. Don't want to wait for bc to send out another strut
Old 09-10-14, 02:24 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I would do is go from corner to corner and release the pre-load on all the springs and then start from scratch and set your preload that way you know they are all identical. Some people put their coilovers on straight from out the box and most times its not adjusted from factory
Old 09-10-14, 02:34 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
What I would do is go from corner to corner and release the pre-load on all the springs and then start from scratch and set your preload that way you know they are all identical. Some people put their coilovers on straight from out the box and most times its not adjusted from factory
Before the coilovers were installed, I made sure that all of them had identical preload just because I know it'll be tough trying to compress a 20k+ spring after its been installed. So I'm pretty sure it's not preload but I'm going to check friday night to make sure. I used my car phone gps mount to record a video of the passenger rear strut and noticed nothing is loose on top from what it seems.
Old 09-10-14, 03:26 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
Before the coilovers were installed, I made sure that all of them had identical preload just because I know it'll be tough trying to compress a 20k+ spring after its been installed. So I'm pretty sure it's not preload but I'm going to check friday night to make sure. I used my car phone gps mount to record a video of the passenger rear strut and noticed nothing is loose on top from what it seems.
Well today I unloaded all my springs and started from scratch. I preloaded the front 6mm and the rear 8mm.

Still clunk like hell. Some people get good ones some get bad I guess
Old 09-10-14, 04:28 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

I'm confused why there's only noise from the rear passenger one. People don't have problems with the driver rear side. How weird.
Old 09-10-14, 07:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Guessing you guys have the rubber upper mount and not a pillowball mount?
Old 09-11-14, 01:11 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Guessing you guys have the rubber upper mount and not a pillowball mount?
Tbh, I have no idea. I looked up both of them and they both look the same on google images even though I know they're completely different. LOL.. My first set and my second set look identical from the outside. Except my newer set is the only one making clunking noises
Old 09-11-14, 12:38 PM
Gville350

If you didn't ask specifically for pillowball mounts, then you have the standard rubber mount. I've never experience said "clunk", but I have pillowball mounts. Wish you luck in searching out the fix!
Old 09-11-14, 05:04 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Here's a short 23 second clip of my rear passenger coilover. It's kinda flipped so it's better if you can watch this on your phone!
Old 09-11-14, 05:30 PM
Gville350

^Though I've not personally video'd my shock towers before, I'm pretty certain the mount is not supposed to move like yours was obviously doing there.
Old 09-11-14, 05:42 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Though I've not personally video'd my shock towers before, I'm pretty certain the mount is not supposed to move like yours was obviously doing there.
Really?? Is it because you have a pillow ball mount. My friend told me the same thing but he has the same pillow mount as yours. Anyone else know?

Quick Reply: Universal solution to clunking noise in bc coilovers (passenger rear)?