IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upgrading my 115k OE suspension build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 07:59 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Upgrading my 115k OE suspension build

I have a 2008 IS250. I lucked out and got a rare engine recall when I went to the dealership for a warranty checkup at 99k miles (I got the 100k extended warranty). I pretty much got a new engine, they re-built the entire engine with new pistons and much more. Had to ship all the parts from Japan. This is when I realized I'll be using this car for my daily for quite some time.

I've known shocks and bushings and other wear and tear items start degrading significantly after 100k miles so I decided to do a complete over-haul of the suspension and in this process make the car actually fun to drive by upgrading to aftermarket parts that I can turn an IS250/350 into a car that actually handles really well.

Yes I do enjoy taking turns at high speeds, which is why I have an M3. I learned the funnest part of driving is handling/turning, not acceleration, which is of course my opinion. Anyways...

Here's what I'll be installing, I would appreciate your guys feedback on the parts I chose, and how big of a difference will this car handle? I've never owned coil overs, what do you guys recommend I put the dampening setting to?

Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers w/ Swift Springs upgrade, 14k front/10k rear
Cusco Front and Rear Sway Bars
F-Sport Chassis Brace
Cusco Front Strut Bar
FIGS Front Lower Arm Rear Mount Polyurethane Bushing 90 HIGH PERFORMANCE
SPC Front Balljoint Camber Kit
SPC Rear Camber Arm

I'm currently on Bridgestone RE760 Sport tires, and I plan to lower this car with 1 finger gap all around. Definitely not 'slammed.' Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and let me know if I should replacing anything else that may be wearing out.
Old 08-29-14, 08:59 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

Wow and congrats man, looks like its going to be a killer handling ride too! Most important upgrade after all this is tires, you know this ofc, super sport pilots all day bro
Old 08-29-14, 10:03 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like a solid list. I'd only change some brands but thats all preference really.

Other than new bushings in places not being redone I'd say it's a solid list.

Good Job. Let us know how everything goes!
Old 08-29-14, 10:38 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Ok awesome. It will get an alignment and corner balance as well
Old 08-29-14, 11:17 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Yes I do enjoy taking turns at high speeds, which is why I have an M3. I learned the funnest part of driving is handling/turning, not acceleration, which is of course my opinion.
I agree with you 100%! Feel free to emulate what I've done with my IS350 to make your IS250 a fun-to-drive corner carver.

To add to your list, you can look at getting a Torsen LSD (from either the IS300 or FRS/BRZ), a '12 IS-F Steering ECU, and lightweight wheels to further enhance your 'driving experience'.
Old 08-29-14, 11:39 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

What does the '12 IS-F Steering ECU do exactly? I know our cars have electric steering. And thanks man, yeah it's amazing the F-Sport IS250 does 71mph through the slalom lol that's when I realized this car can be fun if modded right.
Old 08-29-14, 11:51 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I admire your feel for handling because I am the same way with my car. The list seems a bit much for a DD though so I hope you plan on taking it to autocross with that setup.

From what I read in other reviews, the chassis brace doesnt make a huge difference in handling and can be something you can buy very last. It minimizes chassis flex but with all your other items, I would save that for VERY LAST.

Im not really a fan of the Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers. They are great coilovers for track setups but a buddy of mine got them for his car with upgraded springs and they were SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE for everyday driving. the car stays firmly planted on the road but then that means feeling every crack, bump and dip in the road. If you ever get them on the track tho, thats where you would really get your money's worth. Personally, I would spend less for a comfortable street setup if its going to be a DD

Front and rear sways and front and rear strut tower bars are probably gonna make the biggest improvement with handling. Also If your only lowering an inch, your camber isnt going to be effected much. From what i remember, for every inch you lower, it brings camber back -.75 degrees (more or less depending on car). A little bit of camber helps with handling so I recommend running some time with camber kits and some time with out and see how you like it. On my old car, when I got camber kits and straightened out the wheels a little bit, I didnt like the way they handled I opted for the natural camber. They do save tire life so it would be a trade off.

My only advice really is to read some reviews or ask around with people in your area and see which items are worth getting first and which are worth doing with out.
Old 08-29-14, 12:01 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

I think this upgrade is needed for all IS that have a good amount of miles.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138

Look at the video. I always wondered why my front tires are wearing out faster than the rears on a rwd car lol.
Old 08-29-14, 12:10 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Dont forget sway bars
Old 08-29-14, 12:12 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Dont forget sway bars
I didn't I got Cusco Front and Rear. I didn't want to get F-Sport and be like everyone else lol.
Old 08-30-14, 08:03 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

What's a fair price to get all these mods installed plus change out 4 rotors, 4 brake pads, an alignment, and corner balancing? I got quoted $1150 from this shop but this place is top rated and is guaranteed to do the work right. What's a fair price?
Old 08-30-14, 08:09 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Temple City Auto Repair a call. They're socal though

John or Henry - both great guys, good work, and fair pricing
Old 08-30-14, 08:27 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kevinwang
Give Temple City Auto Repair a call. They're socal though

John or Henry - both great guys, good work, and fair pricing
Does $1150 seem fair, high or low?
Old 08-30-14, 09:42 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email: templecityautorepair2002@gmail.com

His name is john. He's expecting your email

List all the parts and work you want done along with the year and model of your car.

Tell him Kevin sent you and he'll hook you up
Old 08-30-14, 10:15 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Thanks bro. How's his quality of work?

Originally Posted by kevinwang
Email: templecityautorepair2002@gmail.com

His name is john. He's expecting your email

List all the parts and work you want done along with the year and model of your car.

Tell him Kevin sent you and he'll hook you up

Quick Reply: Upgrading my 115k OE suspension build