IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 04:56 PM
STORMVSXII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some research on their tunes on vw, bmw, and porsche and they seem to be legit. Im still uneasy about the fact that they just squeezed 25 HP out of the IS350
Old 11-07-14, 05:09 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by STORMVSXII
Im still uneasy about the fact that they just squeezed 25 HP out of the IS350
FYSA, SARD Racing Japan was able to extract an additional 40 rwhp from a JDM IS350 with their ECU tune so it is technically feasible.

Old 11-07-14, 05:19 PM
STORMVSXII
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
FYSA, SARD Racing Japan was able to extract an additional 40 rwhp from a JDM IS350 with their ECU tune so it is technically feasible.

Its crazy that a tune can extract more power than my ppe header, intake and joe z exhaust lexus must have left a lot on the table with the tunning, which i dont doubt !
Old 11-07-14, 07:47 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
JDM ECU =/= USDM ECU.

You can also remove the limiter on a JDM ECU too. The USDM is bulletproof until proven otherwise.
Old 11-08-14, 07:16 AM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So who's ordered one?
You don't necessarily have to dyno the car. A before and after visit to the 1/4 mile track would suffice and be alot cheaper.
Then again with the claimed numbers, you should be able to feel a difference on the butt dyno
Old 11-08-14, 09:11 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Who is gonna be the guinea pig?
Old 11-08-14, 10:23 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting ... I'm tempted to drive down there to see if it really works, but I have never dyno or made any performance changes to my car.
Old 11-08-14, 10:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Merge completed.

As far as Vivid's offering, first of all, it's not a reflash. It's software intercepting the OBDII data and replacing it with more aggressive numbers to take out some of the factory's "room for error" designed in to ensure their engines do not blow up because the owner put in bad fuel or because a vacuum line cracked and leaked to lean out the engine. Toyota is super conservative, and anyone who has monitored what the OEM ECM does in service knows they run super rich in open loop at WOT. Apparently this device will spoof the ECM into believing there is less air going into the engine and adjust the O2 signals so it falls in the realm of acceptable limits because both of these parameters are measured and monitored by Toyota's ECM software. If the values fall outside of expectations, the ECM takes action to correct (and anyone who has attempted to tune a Toyota ECM with a piggyback in the last 25 years has run into this problem).

Vivid is far from first in this space, but appear to be first offering something for the 2GR/4GR engines. If you look at the sad history of the attempts to tune the 2UR-GSE in the IS F forum, you'll see a manufacturer in SoCal claiming to be able to do this a couple of years ago, claimed they were just working on packaging, then disappeared from sight.

If this works for more than one car, it will make history. There is zero hope of a reflash unless it is done by SARD, iCode, or Novel, and we already know they want what appears to be a king's ransom for their work (at least compared to any other manufacturer's tune). Then again, if no one else can do what you do, you can pretty much name your price.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-08-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 09:09 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Merge completed.

As far as Vivid's offering, first of all, it's not a reflash. It's software intercepting the OBDII data and replacing it with more aggressive numbers to take out some of the factory's "room for error" designed in to ensure their engines do not blow up because the owner put in bad fuel or because a vacuum line cracked and leaked to lean out the engine. Toyota is super conservative, and anyone who has monitored what the OEM ECM does in service knows they run super rich in open loop at WOT. Apparently this device will spoof the ECM into believing there is less air going into the engine and adjust the O2 signals so it falls in the realm of acceptable limits because both of these parameters are measured and monitored by Toyota's ECM software. If the values fall outside of expectations, the ECM takes action to correct (and anyone who has attempted to tune a Toyota ECM with a piggyback in the last 25 years has run into this problem).

Vivid is far from first in this space, but appear to be first offering something for the 2GR/4GR engines. If you look at the sad history of the attempts to tune the 2UR-GSE in the IS F forum, you'll see a manufacturer in SoCal claiming to be able to do this a couple of years ago, claimed they were just working on packaging, then disappeared from sight.

If this works for more than one car, it will make history. There is zero hope of a reflash unless it is done by SARD, iCode, or Novel, and we already know they want what appears to be a king's ransom for their work (at least compared to any other manufacturer's tune). Then again, if no one else can do what you do, you can pretty much name your price.
It's good to have your insight on this..

Would you consider buying it for your IS-F if it turns out be compatible?
Old 11-09-14, 09:12 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Merge completed.

The problem I see is that this is not permanent and therefore the changes the VR product makes will eventually be corrected by the computer. The computer will eventually correct everything back to the way it was. So now you run into the question of how often are you plugging this thing in and "flashing" it. And is it going to work the same every time. I'll be anxious to see how it works for someone 5000+ miles after the "flash" and then doing another dyno to compare if the car corrected itself.
Old 11-09-14, 09:21 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by AZ JB
The problem I see is that this is not permanent and therefore the changes the VR product makes will eventually be corrected by the computer. The computer will eventually correct everything back to the way it was. So now you run into the question of how often are you plugging this thing in and "flashing" it. And is it going to work the same every time. I'll be anxious to see how it works for someone 5000+ miles after the "flash" and then doing another dyno to compare if the car corrected itself.

I think the idea was that in theory, for it to work it would have to stay within the specs that the ECU likes to see.

Let's take AFR as a loose hypothetical. let's say you're hitting 12.5 @ redline at WOT stock. The ECU is programmed to pull timing at 13, and until then just try and correct with fuel. A chip that works would feed the ECU 12.99, thus getting it to dump more fuel to correct it, making more power, but preventing it from pulling timing and losing power.

The ECU would never consider the idea of "tuning it out" because you never crossed the threshold that it would take to cause those changes. Aka "using maps that are already built into the stock ECU".
Old 11-09-14, 09:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by stewb10
I think the idea was that in theory, for it to work it would have to stay within the specs that the ECU likes to see.

Let's take AFR as a loose hypothetical. let's say you're hitting 12.5 @ redline at WOT stock. The ECU is programmed to pull timing at 13, and until then just try and correct with fuel. A chip that works would feed the ECU 12.99, thus getting it to dump more fuel to correct it, making more power, but preventing it from pulling timing and losing power.

The ECU would never consider the idea of "tuning it out" because you never crossed the threshold that it would take to cause those changes. Aka "using maps that are already built into the stock ECU".
Sort of. The ECM does not look at O2 data when the throttle is 74% or greater. It arbitrarily applies LT fuel trim to the maps built by Toyota. If your OBDII tool sees throttle over 74%, then alters MAF data so it hits a lower value in the table for a leaner AFR. The ECM will still apply LT trim, but it should do this regardless. The real trick is adjusting the MAF data so you don't go too lean and cause knock (which will instantly retard ignition timing and dump fuel). None of this will impact ST or LT because it doesn't begin to alter anything until it sees what the ECM considers WOT (>74% throttle opening). So there won't be a learning adjustment as long as the unit does not try to trim part throttle.
Old 11-09-14, 03:48 PM
stewb10
Driver

Sort of. The ECM does not look at O2 data when the throttle is 74% or greater. It arbitrarily applies LT fuel trim to the maps built by Toyota. If your OBDII tool sees throttle over 74%, then alters MAF data so it hits a lower value in the table for a leaner AFR. The ECM will still apply LT trim, but it should do this regardless. The real trick is adjusting the MAF data so you don't go too lean and cause knock (which will instantly retard ignition timing and dump fuel). None of this will impact ST or LT because it doesn't begin to alter anything until it sees what the ECM considers WOT (>74% throttle opening). So there won't be a learning adjustment as long as the unit does not try to trim part throttle.
Oh no, I wasn't saying that was how the ECU worked, I was just using that as an example to help illustrate the idea of not pushing the ECU too far to cause an unwanted response. 👍 Talking open/closed loop tuning is a completely diff discussion. I'd love to have it though. Would you care to elaborate on the ECUs responses to aggressive inputs?
Old 11-09-14, 09:16 PM
STORMVSXII
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered one , wish me luck! Ill update my findings when and if it works 👍
Old 11-09-14, 09:31 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STORMVSXII
Just ordered one , wish me luck! Ill update my findings when and if it works 👍
Make a thread man

Quick Reply: Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?