IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS250 RWD w/Leather and Moonroof - LED DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 08:55 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS250 RWD w/Leather and Moonroof - LED DRL?

Hi, this is my first time posting on the forum but I love all the information on this site! It's nice to have fellow owners supporting each other on the car they love.

I purchased the 2011 IS250 RWD (w/Leather and Moonroof) and am going to perform the LED upgrades as mentioned in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...de-w-pics.html

I know that in 2011 they introduced the LED DRL option, but I'm not sure if I have it or not. Would someone be able to help me determine whether the trim level I purchased has it, or is it something that is purchased individually?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 08-14-14, 10:22 AM
MrBalistic
Rookie

You should have it, its a standard upgrade In the headlights from 2011+. I also have a 2011 with leather and moonroof and I have the new upgraded headlights with the led drl on the bottom of the headlight housing.
Old 08-14-14, 10:26 AM
kevin125
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spliff
Hi, this is my first time posting on the forum but I love all the information on this site! It's nice to have fellow owners supporting each other on the car they love.

I purchased the 2011 IS250 RWD (w/Leather and Moonroof) and am going to perform the LED upgrades as mentioned in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...de-w-pics.html

I know that in 2011 they introduced the LED DRL option, but I'm not sure if I have it or not. Would someone be able to help me determine whether the trim level I purchased has it, or is it something that is purchased individually?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Not really sure what your asking but ill try my best to explain. LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) I believe from 2010 or 2011 and up come stock. Not as an option. But if you have the led strip at the bottom of your head lights and it is not on, all you have to do is take a trip to the dealer and they'll program it to come on or troubleshoot it. It might cost you if not under warranty. Now if you do not have the lexus led headlights, then you can buy the led headlights and have them installed.
Old 08-14-14, 11:08 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a pic of your headlights and we'll tell you.
Old 08-14-14, 11:54 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if they were stock or not for 2011, and thought it was an option (based on Edmunds.com). I'll take a pic tonight though just to be sure and post it up here.

Originally Posted by kevin125
But if you have the led strip at the bottom of your head lights and it is not on, all you have to do is take a trip to the dealer and they'll program it to come on or troubleshoot it. It might cost you if not under warranty.
LED strip? The car is still under warranty (bought it from a Lexus Dealership) but I'm not sure if this is there. Should this be stock as well on the 2011?

Originally Posted by kevin125
Now if you do not have the lexus led headlights, then you can buy the led headlights and have them installed.
So you're saying that LED or HID headlights are optional for 2011?
Old 08-14-14, 12:20 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

take a picture of your car and we can go from there?
Old 08-14-14, 05:08 PM
kevin125
Driver School Candidate

LED strip? The car is still under warranty (bought it from a Lexus Dealership) but I'm not sure if this is there. Should this be stock as well on the 2011?
The LED strip I'm referring to is the LED strip that's in the headlight housing which is on the bottom inside the headlight housing. If you do have and it does not work then you will have to take it to the dealer and have it programmed. It is an option to have your DRL on or off on any vehicle.

So you're saying that LED or HID headlights are optional for 2011?
I'm saying they were optional. I believe in 2011 all of them started coming with it stock. I might be wrong. When I get home later ill look into it. But please post a picture of your headlights and we will be able to assist you more like Jonathanz said.
Old 08-14-14, 06:10 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys, was at work all day so couldn't post till now.

Here's some crappy pics, it's raining out so couldn't get a real decent shot:

Old 08-14-14, 06:36 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

for 2011 and 2012 MY your headlights have to come with HID option to have LED strip. Without HID option then your headlights will be the same as older gen.
Old 08-14-14, 09:20 PM
kevin125
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knbnguyen
for 2011 and 2012 MY your headlights have to come with HID option to have LED strip. Without HID option then your headlights will be the same as older gen.
^^^ This is correct.

Spliff I did some research and if you don't get the package with the HID or tell them you want the HID headlights, it will not come with LED DRL. It will come with the basic DRL and halogen bulbs for headlights not the LED DRL with HID.
Old 08-14-14, 10:34 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

So it's sounding like I don't have HID then correct?

So if I want to upgrade, I can purchase one of those upgrade kits right? Wasn't really something I wanted to do but will do it if I have to.
Old 08-15-14, 06:41 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if I sound so stupid when it comes to this stuff, but I have no idea what HID headlights look like. I'm assuming it's the ones with the cooler color temperature (i.e. 5K or 6K bulbs) instead of the yellow ones like mine, but I wasn't sure if mine were HID but just a lower Kelvin.

Is there a way to tell without looking at purely the color of the bulb? Is the shape different or is there some distinguishing characteristic between HID and halogen bulbs?
Old 08-15-14, 06:48 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Are you certain you have a 2011? Has this car had front end work?

I have not seen a single 2011 without the LED strip.

Show me your tail lights to confirm model year.
Old 08-15-14, 07:39 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

ok will do when I get home. No there's been no work done on the car (no accidents).
Old 08-15-14, 08:39 AM
ClemsonIS
Driver School Candidate

Just take your tail lights off and send them to me to confirm model year........

Quick Reply: 2011 IS250 RWD w/Leather and Moonroof - LED DRL?