IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 or Evo X ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 06:41 PM
PawnStar23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 or Evo X ??

I understand that Im going to get bias answers on here since its a Lexus forum. I just wanted some thoughts and opinions. I currently have a 06 white Is350 with 58k which I love driving everyday. I came across a great deal for a 2008 evo x gsr with 15k bone stock. I've had my car for a couple of years and think its one of the best sport luxury cars out there for the price. At times I miss driving 5spd and a boosted car. I used to have a turbo Acura Gsr back in the day. My car payment would slightly increase. I realize the evo has a boring interior and probably wont be the smoothest ride. I never looked at these cars due to the price and most of them out there have most likely been beat on. I understand these cars are 2 different breeds

Last edited by PawnStar23; 08-11-14 at 06:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-11-14, 06:55 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldnt do it. I would go for an sti tho LOL biased guy is biased

6 speed
Better interior
Old 08-11-14, 07:01 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

same like above, i rather go for STI instead of Evo or even Evo MR.
Old 08-11-14, 07:34 PM
PawnStar23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only reason I'm thinking about an Evo is because I can get it cheap.
Old 08-11-14, 07:40 PM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PawnStar23
the only reason I'm thinking about an Evo is because I can get it cheap.
You get what you pay for... Id keep the Lexus imo... After having my 2012 is350 for a year I went and test drove a 2013 evo mr i was a bit disappointed in the performance. Stock for stock id pick an is350 anyday
Old 08-11-14, 07:55 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you guys choose the STI over the Evo X? I'm going to buy a "beater" car in the fall to use as my daily driver especially for winters. I've considered the STI, Evo X, E92 335xi, and B7 Audi S4. In the end, I think I'll end up getting the Evo X. It's a plain car compared to the IS but unlike the IS, it'll be fun to actually be able to tune the car and luckily, I'll still have my IS350.
Old 08-12-14, 05:46 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chi123
Why would you guys choose the STI over the Evo X? I'm going to buy a "beater" car in the fall to use as my daily driver especially for winters. I've considered the STI, Evo X, E92 335xi, and B7 Audi S4. In the end, I think I'll end up getting the Evo X. It's a plain car compared to the IS but unlike the IS, it'll be fun to actually be able to tune the car and luckily, I'll still have my IS350.
I'd have to agree with you on that I'd take an evo X for a 2nd daily but I would not give up an IS350 for an EVO. But that's my opinion. I do have an evo8 MR as a toy at home on top of my IS350(daily) so not bashing on EVOs...
Old 08-12-14, 06:36 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about getting an EVO when looking for a new car. The reason I didn't get it (like you I came form the Honda/Acura world) and I didn't want another car that I could race out and wanted luxury over performance tuning. I'd say keep your 350 and mod it a bit. That way it'll seem new again to you.
Old 08-12-14, 08:10 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I thought about getting an EVO when looking for a new car. The reason I didn't get it (like you I came form the Honda/Acura world) and I didn't want another car that I could race out and wanted luxury over performance tuning. I'd say keep your 350 and mod it a bit. That way it'll seem new again to you.
Same here and you're right on point with me. I got out of the Honda scene 7-8 years ago and never looked back. I sleep better driving a Lexus
Old 08-12-14, 08:38 AM
An2ny
Driver

Originally Posted by PawnStar23
I understand that Im going to get bias answers on here since its a Lexus forum. I just wanted some thoughts and opinions. I currently have a 06 white Is350 with 58k which I love driving everyday. I came across a great deal for a 2008 evo x gsr with 15k bone stock. I've had my car for a couple of years and think its one of the best sport luxury cars out there for the price. At times I miss driving 5spd and a boosted car. I used to have a turbo Acura Gsr back in the day. My car payment would slightly increase. I realize the evo has a boring interior and probably wont be the smoothest ride. I never looked at these cars due to the price and most of them out there have most likely been beat on. I understand these cars are 2 different breeds
If you are considering an Evo X you probably are a car guy and already know what this car is.
These cars are what they are…these are not luxury cars; everyone knows that some materials and features are not there.

The Evo X is a really fun car; I do not daily drive mine because my suspension set up is really stiff and uncomfortable; even stock is a bit rough, but I would not mind driving it every day… if that doesn’t bother you, then it is easy to overlook everything else.
Obviously the IS is way better better as a daily driver…I do not see why would you daily drive an Evo and park a Lexus IS (unless it is a show car or something like that)

Originally Posted by Smashin
You get what you pay for... Id keep the Lexus imo... After having my 2012 is350 for a year I went and test drove a 2013 evo mr i was a bit disappointed in the performance. Stock for stock id pick an is350 anyday
You are correct; you get an amazing chassis, amazing handling, great power and amazing tuning potential, if you can see beyond the interior (It’s not horrible by the way) everything else is quality equipment. You get a great engine, BBS/ Enkei wheels, Brembo brakes, floating rotors (MR), Bilstein shocks (MR) Recaro seats, double clutch trans (MR) an amazing all-wheel drive Active Yaw Control torque-vectoring system.
A MR with every option is over $44K, so I don’t think it is “cheap” also used ones hold their value better than most cars; I believe that the OP was talking about a specific Evo X that he could get a great deal on.
Old 08-12-14, 09:31 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Its up to you. Test drive and see if you like it. If you do, go for it. Just remember that you WILL be losing reliability factors if you go evo. I would check the evo forums to see what to look for and any problematic issues.
Old 08-12-14, 10:09 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Going off that. My SO has a Mitsubishi and would rather take my car in for service than hers. It's a night and day experience. I remember I asked for coffee once (it was right at opening) and they looked at me like I was stupid haha.

Other than the obvious, OP, you're looking at degraded quality. The interior styling, materials, and noise levels don't hold a candle to the Lexus. If you're digging that 4-Cyl, Turbo than more power to you.
Old 08-12-14, 12:18 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been in autocross many times now, STI and Evo are very competitive. They have almost similar capacity. I saw them running with semi-slick tires. Most of their lap times set by good drivers in autocross are very close. Evo is a little bit faster but probably the driver is a bit better.

Look: Evo wins. (Subjective).
Price: Evo wins (in your case).
Performance: Tie

I would pick Evo in your case over STI.
Old 08-12-14, 12:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Evo vs. IS350, these two cars in in 2 different league.

Performance wise: Evo wins period!
Straight line 0-40, 0-60 both stock: IS350 has a edge due to its aggressive gearing. That surge/punch is pure v6 natural power in the IS350 In fact, the stock IS350 acceleration (0-40) is almost as fast as a super car Lambo.
More mods options: Evo wins period!
Luxury: IS350 hands down!
Reliability: IS350 hands down!
Comfort daily driver: IS350 hands down!
Fun to drive: IS350 with tranction control off (subjective). I find IS350 very easy to control, very balanced and smooth and with traction control off, very easy to initiate oversteer and sustain drifting.

In summary, the IS350 is a well rounded reliable car that is GOOD and WELL BALANCED at EVERYTHING but NOT great at anything! Evo is a performance beast with lots of mod options, it will smoke the IS350 in both autocross and track. However, Evo doesn't carry that much luxury or comfort for a daily driver like the IS350 would.

Last edited by FSportIS; 08-12-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I think we found some EVO lovers here! LOL I'll have to be biased because I had a Lancer back in the day, and though it didn't have the turbo motor, it got all of the looks an EVO would. Maybe the EVO spoiler helped.

Anyways, if you miss having a stick and being boosted AND being able to actually mod the car (like I do!), you might want to make the change. But on the other hand, how reliable will the Mitsu be? It has major positive benefits without too many negatives. Just need to make that decision for your own and see what works best for you.

Sidenote, I test drove a 2014 black-on-black EVO at the local dealership with 5 miles on it (fresh right off the trailor!) and I agree the initial punch isn't there when compared to the IS350. However, having AWD will mess with you like that. If I could have jusitied the additional $200/mo car pymt, that SICK EVO would have been mine!

Quick Reply: Is350 or Evo X ??