IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 08:53 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.

I found out last nite that if my key fob is on my body, I can go up to my side rear view mirrors, tap the bottom of it with my hand and the puddle lamps light up! The car's interior light would also light up too. I found this out by accident since I was showing a friend the puddle lamps and they just lit up when I touched them.

Anyone else have cool/neat features they'd like to share with the rest of us?

*Note: I know I could always read the manual to find out all of these things but in all honesty, who has time to read the manual?
Old 04-19-06, 08:58 AM
Advent
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I found out last nite that if my key fob is on my body, I can go up to my side rear view mirrors, tap the bottom of it with my hand and the puddle lamps light up! The car's interior light would also light up too. I found this out by accident since I was showing a friend the puddle lamps and they just lit up when I touched them.

*Note: I know I could always read the manual to find out all of these things but in all honesty, who has time to read the manual?
Thats funny,mine just light up when i'm near the car. Try that..at night just walk up to the window they should come on without you hitting the button.
Old 04-19-06, 09:09 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi

you shouldnt have to touch them for them to light up..they should come on when you walk by with the keyfob..you should try to make sure they are working correctly
Old 04-19-06, 09:11 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

not a feature but noticed with the moon roof popped up, if you have the vent on re-circulate the wind noise is louder than if you put the vent on non re-circulate.
Old 04-19-06, 09:16 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
you shouldnt have to touch them for them to light up..they should come on when you walk by with the keyfob..you should try to make sure they are working correctly
Ahhh I see...Good to know Cathy. I will try this tonite and see if they are indeed working properly. It's still a pretty neat feature to have when parked in dark/unsafe areas.
Old 04-19-06, 09:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Advent
Thats funny,mine just light up when i'm near the car. Try that..at night just walk up to the window they should come on without you hitting the button.
yep, noticed this last nite.
Old 04-19-06, 09:28 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

since we can open our windows from the keys including the sunroof...since the sunroof has a dial wich will already be at close since the key was used to open it.....will it close when car starts to move?
Old 04-19-06, 09:44 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

my puddle lights up when i walk by her =)

@nehal
the key can only open windows/moonroof...... it can't close them.
Old 04-19-06, 09:57 AM
xaden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
right, the lights turn on just by being near the car, but i've found that it takes a little longer than i would like. i usually end up grabbing the door (at which time the lights would turn on) before they turn on by themselves. i love the puddle lamps, but what's the point if i'm already halfway in my car by the time they turn on?
Old 04-19-06, 10:03 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xaden
right, the lights turn on just by being near the car, but i've found that it takes a little longer than i would like. i usually end up grabbing the door (at which time the lights would turn on) before they turn on by themselves. i love the puddle lamps, but what's the point if i'm already halfway in my car by the time they turn on?
I agree that the response time is too slow. I knew that the puddle lights turn on when I touch the door handle but I thought that they turned on ONLY when I touched the door handle, not by simply walking close to the car. But you're right that it only goes on when you're about halfway into the car already so there's almost no point in them turning on.

On a related note, it'd be so much neater if Lexus had put turn signal lights on the rear view mirrors instead of puddle lights! The blinking turn signals on the rear view mirrors would look so hot!
Old 04-19-06, 10:05 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

That and also using LEDs for the puddle and map lights.. would make everything flow much better.
Old 04-19-06, 10:41 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
since we can open our windows from the keys including the sunroof...since the sunroof has a dial wich will already be at close since the key was used to open it.....will it close when car starts to move?
It shouldn't since the sunroof is also a one touch open and close. All you need to do is push on the dial.
Old 04-19-06, 10:45 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Advent
ditto. everything lights up when I get close to the car.
Old 04-19-06, 10:52 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSE25
That and also using LEDs for the puddle and map lights.. would make everything flow much better.
I think map lights are LED; the regular interior that lights up when you open a door isn't though, neither are the puddle lamps. I think having them be non-LED give them a good warmth that is needed in a cold, all-blue lighted environment.
Old 04-19-06, 11:02 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I think map lights are LED; the regular interior that lights up when you open a door isn't though, neither are the puddle lamps. I think having them be non-LED give them a good warmth that is needed in a cold, all-blue lighted environment.
Yup the map lights (front and back) are indeed LED. They're actually pretty bright w/o being too bright, if that makes sense. The non-LED map lights in my previous car was glaringly bright so it was difficult to drive w/them on when my passenger needed them while I was driving.

Quick Reply: Cool/neat features of the IS that you discovered.