Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4 Wheel alignment

Old 07-22-14, 06:45 AM   #1
Woodrow
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default 4 Wheel alignment

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my '11 IS350 wasn't tracking right, so I decided it needed to be aligned. The truth is, it was probably the highway I was on that had lots of seams and was well worn. The local dealer (that I REALLY like) quoted me $140 for a 4 wheel alignment, and Brakes Plus was only $60. Guess where I took it It turns out that the camber for the left rear is within spec, but off a bit in one direction. The right rear is (barely) within spec but off in the other direction. I was told that the difference between the two could be why I was tracking funny. Maybe, maybe not, but OK.

The thing is, there is no adjustment for camber in the back wheels! With no camber adjustment, I have to wonder if tow in is adjustable. There wouldn't be any caster adjustment on the back wheels, would there? Of course, Brakes Plus wanted me to spend $400 to install a piece that would allow adjustment for camber, but I chose to leave it alone.

My question is ..... does anyone know if the tow in on the rear suspension of an AWD IS is adjustable? What exactly is the point of a 4 wheel alignment, if it isn't? And .... does it matter?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2013 RX450h AWD - Starfire Pearl
2011 IS350 AWD - Smokey Granite Mica
Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 09:42 AM   #2
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

sm1ke_ sm1ke

Toe in the rear is adjustable with the OEM components, to a certain degree. Many people report having a rear end wobble when accelerating from a stop after they've lowered their AWD IS.. I also had it, but after getting an alignment with the OEM components and minimizing the toe as much as possible, there was a significant decrease in the wobble, to the point where I would only experience it if I was accelerating hard off the line.
sm1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 09:42 AM