IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Strong Gas smell in cabin & I've searched

Old 07-22-14, 03:26 AM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong Gas smell in cabin & I've searched

The car has been sitting for quite some time, probably 3 months, and I've searched and went over what some key points to look for I cannot find a visual of gasoline anywhere. I've taken the car in for the fuel sensor gasket recall and looked to see if I had a leaking injector o - ring, the smell is too strong to even attempt to drive, any inputs?
Old 07-22-14, 07:00 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

What year and model is it? What are the mileage on the vehicle? I remember another member having a similar issue but the smell was coming from his engine compartment.
Old 07-22-14, 08:41 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my gas smell was coming from engine area and into the car.

so i took it to Lexus and this is what they changed and charged:

77251-53060 tube, fuel main - $57.85
23902-31012 tube sub-assy, fuel - $145.90
Labor - $410.80

Total charge with taxes - $641.99

it's fixed...no more gas smell
Old 08-13-14, 09:00 PM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

Thanks for the heads up, I ended up taking to the dealer and paid a fortune, ended being some sort of gasket, i have to find the receipt again and viola no more smell !
Old 08-13-14, 11:49 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah my car does the same thing from time to time. i took it to the dealership and they couldnt figure it out either
Old 08-14-14, 12:35 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I had this happen a few months ago. Took it to a local shop, and they said gas was leaking from the tube that feeds fuel from the drivers side of the engine to the passenger side. The dealer had removed the motor not too long before to fix a leaking timing chain gasket. I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it for free, since the leak was caused by a bad gasket that they had messed with when they pulled the motor.

There are other things that can cause fuel leaks, but if you've had any work done where the motor was pulled (which I'm told dealers often do) it's something to think about.
Old 08-14-14, 12:41 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Any paperwork given to you stating the item or part # of what was replaced in your case?
Old 08-14-14, 02:39 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, I have 2010 IS250 59000 miles and have a gas smell that started today after it had been sitting for three days, the smell seems to go away after a few miles down the road. The smell is just inside the car, no smell under the hood or no leaks on the garage floor, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-14, 06:28 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

If you continue to have this smell, I'd park it until you have a fix for it. From the few threads like this I've read, there have been fuel lines from the tank replaced and lines in the engine bay replaced. Of course you have different seals and gaskets that could go bad over time too.

GL on locating the leak!
Old 08-17-14, 01:05 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think i figured out the gas smell on mine, my wife had just filled the car up with gas the day before we started smelling it inside, I think she over filled it and some gas from the over fill tube leaked out and the smell got inside the car. I drove it this week end and smell is gone, i told her after the first click when at the pump stop and don't add anymore.
Old 05-08-19, 01:11 PM
LexKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am getting a really strong gasoline odor in the cabin of my 09 IS250 for the past 2 days. I've been looking around the engine bay but I don't see any gasoline leaking but I understand that it evaporates really fast. Most of the posts that I've been reading about gas leaks are on the IS350. Does anybody have any hints of where to check? I read that gas could leak from the fuel pressure sensor but I also read that I would have to remove the intake manifold to check on that. So before I start disassembling the intake manifold any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-19, 02:00 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexKong
I am getting a really strong gasoline odor in the cabin of my 09 IS250 for the past 2 days. I've been looking around the engine bay but I don't see any gasoline leaking but I understand that it evaporates really fast. Most of the posts that I've been reading about gas leaks are on the IS350. Does anybody have any hints of where to check? I read that gas could leak from the fuel pressure sensor but I also read that I would have to remove the intake manifold to check on that. So before I start disassembling the intake manifold any help would be appreciated.
Any work done recently? I replaced my FPS 2 years ago and it started leaking once I had the fuel dampener recall done. Dealer claimed "more pressure" caused it to leak, so they just tightened it up and it hasn't leaked since. You can probably reach back there and tighten it up if you think that's the issue. I knew that was my issue as I would have someone start the car in the morning and I took off the engine cover and saw fuel dripping off the sensor when I first started smelling the gas.
Old 05-08-19, 03:26 PM
LexKong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
Any work done recently? I replaced my FPS 2 years ago and it started leaking once I had the fuel dampener recall done. Dealer claimed "more pressure" caused it to leak, so they just tightened it up and it hasn't leaked since. You can probably reach back there and tighten it up if you think that's the issue. I knew that was my issue as I would have someone start the car in the morning and I took off the engine cover and saw fuel dripping off the sensor when I first started smelling the gas.
I recently removed my front differential to replace the seal next to the oil pan because it was leaking. To remove the front differential I supported the engine with jack stands and lowered the front subframe but I don’t know if that could have loosen one of the gas lines. I also replaced the engine mounts since I had the subframe lowered. The new engine mounts made a huge difference as far as engine vibrations, by the way.
Anyway I will continue to check around the engine bay. So far I haven’t seen an actual puddle of gas under the car so I’m assuming that it is not that bad yet. I will see if I can reach behind the manifold to see if it feels wet.
Old 05-09-19, 04:50 PM
LexKong
Driver School Candidate

I found the source of the gas smell. I mowed my lawn a few days before the smell started and I forgot that I left a two gallon container of gasoline in the trunk of my car and I guess at some point the can turned on it’s side and was slowly leaking in my trunk. I feel like a moron. Lol.
Old 05-09-19, 06:42 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LexKong
I found the source of the gas smell. I mowed my lawn a few days before the smell started and I forgot that I left a two gallon container of gasoline in the trunk of my car and I guess at some point the can turned on it’s side and was slowly leaking in my trunk. I feel like a moron. Lol.
Don’t you hate making dumb choices. Lol
we all do it.
And we all think the worst right off the bat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strong Gas smell in cabin & I've searched