IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

fart smell accelerating with ac off, but not when ac on

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 11:57 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybean
Not normal. Failing cats has a rotten egg smell.
The rotten egg smell means that the catalytic converter is working properly. "It's (the smell) hydrogen sulfide or H2S. It does not exist in the fuel or oil, which is why you can't smell it at the gas station. It does, however, come from the gasoline. Almost all gasoline contains organic sulfur compounds with sulfur levels ranging from 30 to 100 parts per million, approximately. "As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell!
Old 07-17-14, 04:21 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
The rotten egg smell means that the catalytic converter is working properly. "It's (the smell) hydrogen sulfide or H2S. It does not exist in the fuel or oil, which is why you can't smell it at the gas station. It does, however, come from the gasoline. Almost all gasoline contains organic sulfur compounds with sulfur levels ranging from 30 to 100 parts per million, approximately. "As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell!
Although correct, Not the answer to his issue I believe. Almost all gasoline contains some amount of organic sulfur compounds, and that amount varies by region.
The more sulfur there is in the gasoline, the more H2S is built up and released by the catalytic converter,
so the stronger the smell.
In California, where low-sulfur gasoline is actually required by state law, sulfur smell complaints are few
and far between. Low-sulfur gasoline was phased in nationwide between 2004 and 2006.

Condensation, dust, and pollen inside the evaporator case can cause mold to grow and leave a musty
odor when you turn on the A/C. As others have said, cabin filter is the first fix. If that doesn't fix it, Cleaning the evaporator case manually should take care of it.

Last edited by Sceanzo; 07-17-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 07:00 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Did you have the AC "Circulation outside mode" on? If yo did, outside air would comes in and comes in strong when you accelerate hard. Just put the AC "Circulation inside mode" on and you won't notice the smell.

Change your AC cabin filter with the De-odorization version as well.

AC usually smells a bit when first turn on, i notice this in many cars but it seems weird that the smell goes away when AC on in your case lol.
I usually have it on inside circulation, I'm going to change the cabin filter, thanks for the suggestion and input
Old 07-18-14, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you have a mildew type smell in cabin, try using some DampRid to get rig of it. I just hang one on the back of one of the front seat's back pockets. Though hard to tell until you pick up the bag, the ENTIRE bottom pouch quckly fills with water (<$10 Walmart for 3 hangers).

The first bag got rid of my smell; but I'll go ahead and use the other two since I have them.
Old 07-18-14, 01:56 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Gville350, when did you become a chemistry teacher? Car chemistry 101 right there lol

Originally Posted by Gville350
Old 07-18-14, 01:59 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Sometimes the car automatically switch to circulation outside without your knowing. My IS350 did this all the times. Whenever I turn the AC on, it switch back to inside circulation. Whenever the circulation is outside, any smell outside will comes in to our car and when you accelerate hard, that air comes in even faster.

Originally Posted by pmnuon79
I usually have it on inside circulation, I'm going to change the cabin filter, thanks for the suggestion and input
Old 07-18-14, 03:46 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is so punny.
Old 07-19-14, 09:59 AM
POZEST
Driver School Candidate

Default Gville nailed it

As I read the posts, I began to also think Sulfur.

Gville's explanation is the most logical.
Old 07-19-14, 07:17 PM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check under all your mats to see if the carpet is wet...causing mildew smell...
if your a/c drain is clogged up, your carpet will get wet causing mildew smell...
this is what happened to me...
good luck
Old 07-20-14, 03:42 AM
speedstar
Pole Position

Fart smell with no a/c, lmaoo damn

Sorry I'm of no help, funny title though
Old 07-23-14, 03:45 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

So I've changed the air cabin filter, no dice. Smell still doesn't occur when ac is on, whether it be on circulate or not. Smells with ac off, circulate or not. Guess I'll change the battery next. Been using chevron and shell premium for the past month. Any other brand of gas worth trying?
Old 07-23-14, 07:35 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

This thread still going? Maybe after battery change its time to go to the detailer and get full interior cleaning....shampoo and all. At least were slowly ruling things out.
Old 07-24-14, 10:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Sorry to say, this thread is one of the most ridiculous and funny things I have ever encountered on Club Lexus forum.

I think your car is begging for a shower. Give it a full interior detail.

Finally, I would highly recommend this for a temporary fix. Buy a Ionic air purifier such as one below. It will neutralize odor. I have used this in my car.

Amazon.com: Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier: Automotive Amazon.com: Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier: Automotive

do NOT buy those good smelling spray because it is not good for the body.
Old 08-14-14, 12:44 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

hey pmnuon79, how did you finally resolve the smell?
Noticed you never posted back and assumed you were too busy driving the ***** out of your car (without the smell ofcourse)
Was it the battery?

MEAHT
Old 09-02-14, 07:27 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Originally Posted by MEAHT
hey pmnuon79, how did you finally resolve the smell?
Noticed you never posted back and assumed you were too busy driving the ***** out of your car (without the smell ofcourse)
Was it the battery?

MEAHT
hey, yea im a field tech for Dell, so ive been driving tje hell out of it. but yea, changed the battery, smell gone now. thx for all the input guys.

Quick Reply: fart smell accelerating with ac off, but not when ac on