fight red light ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 09:56 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fight red light ticket?

hi everyone

i recently got a ticket for running a red light at another city that's like 3 hours away. normally i would just pay but i want to fight it this time b/c i know i wasn't at fault. i also recently just took traffic school so that's not an option. what i can do at this point:

1. plead not guilty - pay and request court trial date or trial by written declaration
2. appear in court

does anyone know how the process of option #1 works? can i request the court to be relocated to my own city? a lot of people say you can postpone the court date so chances of officer showing up is less, but should i do that with option 1 or 2? what should i do to maximize chance of winning?

any insight will be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 07-13-14, 10:11 AM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
hi everyone

i recently got a ticket for running a red light at another city that's like 3 hours away. normally i would just pay but i want to fight it this time b/c i know i wasn't at fault....... what should i do to maximize chance of winning?
abc123acb123
Old 07-13-14, 10:55 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Postpone the bail amount date as long as possible. I normally do it online for the first couple of extensions but after that I call the court and tell them that I can't make it. They're usually pretty helpful.

After you've extended it x amount of months, you have to request the written trial by declaration and send that in along with your bail amount. And then the waiting game begins.

Good luck
Old 07-13-14, 11:56 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

I still want to hear more about how you weren't at fault, lol.

If you didn't do it, then why are you trying to postpone it? Go fight it and win..
Old 07-13-14, 12:15 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Yes, please explain how it wasn't your fault. Did the officer issue the ticket? Or you get one in the mail? If you got one in the mail then you are most likely guilty. They should have a link to the picture and video of the actual offense. The video usually clearly show whether one ran the light or not. Good luck.
Old 07-13-14, 12:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not worth the hassle if it's a red light camera ticket.
Small fine(at least in NJ at about $75) and no points.
Old 07-13-14, 12:27 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Not worth the hassle if it's a red light camera ticket.
Small fine(at least in NJ at about $75) and no points.
Man, we could only wish that is the cost here in CA. Not sure where the OP is from but typically the cost of running a red light is $490 for California drivers, while rolling through a*stop*sign*will cost $238 (except for illegal aliens, driving without driver licenses/insurance). Welcome to the People Republic of California!
Old 07-13-14, 12:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Man, we could only wish that is the cost here in CA. Not sure where the OP is from but typically the cost of running a red light is $490 for California drivers, while rolling through a*stop*sign*will cost $238 (except for illegal aliens, driving without driver licenses/insurance). Welcome to the People Republic of California!
I didn't check where the OP is but have read the cost of traffic violations are ridiculous in CA before.$490 for a red light ticket is nuts.
Surprising with the cost of everything here in Jersey,traffic violation fines are very low compared to CA.
Old 07-13-14, 01:02 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How is it not your fault though? I've seen people stuck in intersections on yellow/red lights because the lane gets backed up and even then they'd still be at fault for not waiting till it cleared enough.

If Ur guilty just go to court and say so. Cop no shows its dropped... cop shows the judge will lower the fine for you taking the time to show up if agree you are guilty.

But what happened that makes you not guilty just really interested in this1
Old 07-13-14, 01:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless the camera snapped your photo while making a legal right on red, how is it not your fault? Running a red light is a pretty bright line standard.

I've seen people stuck in intersections on yellow/red lights because the lane gets backed up and even then they'd still be at fault for not waiting till it cleared enough.
Right--legally, you are not supposed to "block the box", and you should not be entering the intersection if you can't go all the way through.

Just own up and pay it--they are generally no points.
Old 07-13-14, 02:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

You should be getting inundated with letter from attorneys - pick one of them to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation. Sounds like you have a lead foot ("I just took traffic school") - don't try to fight it yourself with your record!
Old 07-13-14, 04:06 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevinwang
Postpone the bail amount date as long as possible. I normally do it online for the first couple of extensions but after that I call the court and tell them that I can't make it. They're usually pretty helpful.

After you've extended it x amount of months, you have to request the written trial by declaration and send that in along with your bail amount. And then the waiting game begins.

Good luck
so i would pay the fine, and in that same envelop request a court trial date and just keep on postponing the trial date? when do i request the trial by declaration?
Old 07-13-14, 04:17 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZ JB
I still want to hear more about how you weren't at fault, lol.

If you didn't do it, then why are you trying to postpone it? Go fight it and win..
Yes, please explain how it wasn't your fault. Did the officer issue the ticket? Or you get one in the mail? If you got one in the mail then you are most likely guilty. They should have a link to the picture and video of the actual offense. The video usually clearly show whether one ran the light or not. Good luck.
it was issued by an officer at 10pm at night. the light was a close call but i accelerated enough to make sure i could make it past the line when light was still yellow. afterwards, the cop followed me for another block before pulling me over when i was getting into my apartment parking lot, which i thought was really odd because he could have pulled me over much earlier. and if he was behind me, he couldn't have been able to tell if i made it past the line when light was yellow or red. the mail i got did not have a link or any pictures so there is no actual proof that i was at fault. plus it was really dark..
yep, ticket was 499
Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
How is it not your fault though? I've seen people stuck in intersections on yellow/red lights because the lane gets backed up and even then they'd still be at fault for not waiting till it cleared enough.

If Ur guilty just go to court and say so. Cop no shows its dropped... cop shows the judge will lower the fine for you taking the time to show up if agree you are guilty.

But what happened that makes you not guilty just really interested in this1
are you saying just to appear in court without paying the fine? or pay it first then request trial date and if you win they give you a refund?
Originally Posted by tex2670
Unless the camera snapped your photo while making a legal right on red, how is it not your fault? Running a red light is a pretty bright line standard.

Right--legally, you are not supposed to "block the box", and you should not be entering the intersection if you can't go all the way through.

Just own up and pay it--they are generally no points.
there was no picture, officer said "i saw it with my own eyes" when he was behind me and it was dark..the officer didn't even know if there was points involved in this violation or not when i asked him..
Originally Posted by sktn77a
You should be getting inundated with letter from attorneys - pick one of them to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation. Sounds like you have a lead foot ("I just took traffic school") - don't try to fight it yourself with your record!
wow attourneys? is that really necessary
Old 07-13-14, 04:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You can fight it yourself; but you run the chance of "his words vs your" sort of thing. Plus, seeing you just did driving school, won't help you chances. Best bet is to get a lawyer.
Old 07-13-14, 06:31 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I would agree. A cop's word is always taken over your word in court. You will lose if you have to contest it in court.

Delay it as long as you can. Then you can contest it in writing, explaining your situation. Most likely you'll lose this way. But you can still request a court date after this.

Hopefully the cop is a no show and you win. Then, even if he does show up, hopefully he won't remember it clearly. You may be able to win this way.

I think there are companies that will fight the ticket for you. Can't remember the companies but you can do a search.

Good luck! Hope it works out...at least with a lower bail amount.

Quick Reply: fight red light ticket?