IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Borla, magnaflow, or flowmaster straight pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 08:41 AM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a member on here with a custom Flowmaster exhaust that Sounds good. I can relate on these import's exhaust being a bit high pitch. I used to have a 03 Mustang Cobra and haven't gotten an exhaust for the IS because of the import-ish sound (for my taste). Some sound good, but just not something I'd want to spend a lot of money on and hear every day. Anywho, if you search for the thread you can get better insight into his set up.

This is his car

Sidenote: Do you have a intake installed?

Last edited by LongSword; 07-10-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 03:32 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Flowmaster super 44s, I got that on my colorado I5 and it sounds like a deep v8
Old 07-10-14, 03:47 PM
NZIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
how much was it? I'm actually in Japan right now and am ~45 min by underground railway from the shop lol
I've got one and basically I can't hear anything from the front. Apparently a very quiet drone if you're sitting in the back but more than worth it for when it comes on song!
Old 07-10-14, 07:56 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What's up bro. I was reading this and I hella cracked up because I realized who you were. I was at the Bay Area meet with you a couple weeks back. I had the Greddy exhaust. But I picked up an invidia midpipe recently. Thinking bout changing it up for more custom. Hope Simon has been doing well
Old 07-10-14, 11:30 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LongSword
There's a member on here with a custom Flowmaster exhaust that Sounds good. I can relate on these import's exhaust being a bit high pitch. I used to have a 03 Mustang Cobra and haven't gotten an exhaust for the IS because of the import-ish sound (for my taste). Some sound good, but just not something I'd want to spend a lot of money on and hear every day. Anywho, if you search for the thread you can get better insight into his set up.

This is his car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJ6w8sTpek

Sidenote: Do you have a intake installed?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a former muscle car owner on here then haha . Yeah I have a budget of about like 3-400 so that's why i'm going the custom exhaust route. I do not have an intake installed, no.
Old 07-10-14, 11:31 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NZIS350
I've got one and basically I can't hear anything from the front. Apparently a very quiet drone if you're sitting in the back but more than worth it for when it comes on song!
I don't plan on keeping the car for long so I honestly don't want to spend 4+k on exhaust haha
Old 07-10-14, 11:32 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
What's up bro. I was reading this and I hella cracked up because I realized who you were. I was at the Bay Area meet with you a couple weeks back. I had the Greddy exhaust. But I picked up an invidia midpipe recently. Thinking bout changing it up for more custom. Hope Simon has been doing well
oh yeah where I was trying to do a photoshoot with all of the cars there in sunnyvale lmao. So you now have invidia mid pipe + greedy? how does it sound? Simon actually just changed up his exhaust setup again, idk how it sounds like because I'm in Japan right now. I wanted him to get it on video but I don't think he wants to lol.
Old 07-12-14, 07:17 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

My friend ended up going with flowmaster straight pipes all the way through from primary cats. Send me a video and you can hear the exhaust from within the cabin (idk if his windows were down) but it's definitely louder than my current setup, not sure about the drone.
Old 07-13-14, 03:11 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

It's louder but not loud enough for me I think. Love the way Greddy looks though..
Old 07-15-14, 06:31 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

It's louder but not loud enough for me I think. Love the way Greddy looks though..
haha you're just like me then
Old 07-15-14, 08:10 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my Greddy + Invidia. It is perfect to me, but I guess that is because I come from a Subaru background. My Legacy was loud as hell and after 7 years it got quite annoying at times lol.....and my husband's STI is stupid loud too.
Old 07-15-14, 11:04 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SubieChik
I love my Greddy + Invidia. It is perfect to me, but I guess that is because I come from a Subaru background. My Legacy was loud as hell and after 7 years it got quite annoying at times lol.....and my husband's STI is stupid loud too.
Is Greddy + invidia really that loud? I thought mine would be louder haha. I know what you mean haha, there's a person in my neighborhood with invidia n1 race exhaust on his 2012 WRX sedan and another guy who comes often and he's got a Roush stage 3 mustang. I myself used to be surrounded by loud *** mustangs lol so I'm used to being around loud exhaust 😂 very nice username btw, I like it
Old 07-16-14, 01:02 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Nah it's not that loud. I have a video of it posted in my build thread some where. I'm thinking a muffler delete might be too loud.. I kinda like how under 3k, it's not loud. But at the same time I hate having to hit 3k to be heard LOL. Good for cops though.. I might keep it, I might not. I'm not too sure. I don't want to be too loud. But just loud enough so people that it's noticeable while cruising at like 2k rims
Old 07-16-14, 07:49 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
I've been running Megan racing catback exhaust with the invidia midpipe for a while and it's loud for sure but there's too much drone inside the car if I'm doing over 65. I'm thinking about switching to a straight pipe exhaust but still running the midpipe but I don't know which one gives off a throatier and low tone sound if combined with the midpipe. If I do this, it will be a custom welded exhaust, not the actual product ordered from the company's site. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
*Axleback

*Invidia midpipe has a resonator
Old 07-16-14, 08:06 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Nah it's not that loud. I have a video of it posted in my build thread some where. I'm thinking a muffler delete might be too loud.. I kinda like how under 3k, it's not loud. But at the same time I hate having to hit 3k to be heard LOL. Good for cops though.. I might keep it, I might not. I'm not too sure. I don't want to be too loud. But just loud enough so people that it's noticeable while cruising at like 2k rims
I have a muffler delete on my is350 right now with takeda intake, and I can set off aftermarket alarms in garages if I'm speeding by. I'm thinking of getting full custom straight pipes too, so it'll be even louder. My muffler delete was 300ish with custom welded y pipe to exhaust tips from cats back.

However there is a drone at 3k rpm, but I don't mind it as I drive with my music blasting anyways .

Quick Reply: Borla, magnaflow, or flowmaster straight pipe exhaust?