Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Tan to Black Interior Swap

Old 07-07-14, 10:52 AM   #1
PhiGam27
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Tan to Black Interior Swap

I am looking into selling my motorcycle and buying black interior for my 2008 IS 250. It currently has the tan seats, door skins, and lower dash. I am thinking that I am going to swap the front and back seats and seat belts, the door skins, and the lower part of the dash with black and then cover the center console and headliner in black suede and hydrodip the plastics attached to the headliner in carbon fiber. However, I am simply doing my research now before selling. I cannot seem to find a salvage yard or junkyard anywhere in the midwest with a compatible Lexus (06-13 IS X50). Any ideas on where to look or what to search for would be very helpful.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
PhiGam27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:40 AM   #2
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

How bout you give me your motorcycle and tan interior for my black interior. LOL fair trade right?
NYKnick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:50 AM   #3
MEAHT
Driver

Been looking for months. Black ISF parts are hard to find. Had to buy the missing parts from sewell. Should be here in the next week or so.

Also, once you find out the prices of seatbelts (not listed on sewell) you will be trying to find a way to dye them or something similar.

btw..make sure u have a bit of free time ;D
MEAHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:59 AM   #4
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

I can see the lower trim being an issue but ive seen many people just respray them to match. The seats, IDK if you would like this option but theres a member on where who just got red BRIDE bucket seats for the front and just reupholstered the rear seats red. I am considering that since I love the black exterior and red interior

The carpet, your best cheapest bet is to dye them.
NYKnick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 12:08 PM   #5
PhiGam27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick101 View Post
How bout you give me your motorcycle and tan interior for my black interior. LOL fair trade right?
Haha. I will give you my tan plus cash for the black interior. I do not think that I want to give away my motorcycle just yet. But if somebody is interested in a 1975 Harley Davidson FX1200 let me know.
Old 07-07-14, 12:10 PM   #6
PhiGam27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick101 View Post
I can see the lower trim being an issue but ive seen many people just respray them to match. The seats, IDK if you would like this option but theres a member on where who just got red BRIDE bucket seats for the front and just reupholstered the rear seats red. I am considering that since I love the black exterior and red interior

The carpet, your best cheapest bet is to dye them.
I would like to keep it as close to oem interior as possible. I considered spraying the lower trip. The nice thing is that my carpet is black already.
Old 07-07-14, 01:49 PM   #7
mikellucci
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (54)

Don't forget the rear tray, 3rd brake light, seat bolt hole covers, seat belts and knee airbags as well! I did a complete swap years ago and it added up quickly....something I'll never get my money back from.. Like you I did NOT want to paint/dye anything so every part was replaced. From a resale perspective I regret it
mikellucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 02:05 PM   #8
PhiGam27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellucci View Post
Don't forget the rear tray, 3rd brake light, seat bolt hole covers, seat belts and knee airbags as well! I did a complete swap years ago and it added up quickly....something I'll never get my money back from.. Like you I did NOT want to paint/dye anything so every part was replaced. From a resale perspective I regret it
I am aware that from a resale perspective it is not a good investment but it is a car that I will have for a few years at least. I just got it in Feb. with 57k miles on it. I would like to be happier with the interior while I own it. Most mods are not great investments when it comes to resale value but it is a valuable mod to me. I do not mind painting the plastics if the prices start to get too high. I do not want to dye anything. That will never look as good as OEM. Painting/hydrodiping will look good still instead of a cheap cover up like dying in my opinion.

Also, I knew about the rear tray and seat belts and all of that. Just did not include them in my first post. I do not, however, know about the knee airbags... Could somebody give me a little more info on those please?

I am searching high and low for a pick-n-pull salvage yard in the midwest that I could take a set of tools there and just buy the majority of the interior to cut down on some of the prices.
Old 07-07-14, 02:12 PM   #9
PhiGam27
Rookie

Just looked up the knee airbags. I did not realize that was an airbag underneath the steering column and glove box. Those are the parts that I called the "lower dash parts". Below the Steering wheel, the glove box and the knee airbags are the only tan parts at the front. then the door skins, trim pieces, seat belts, rear tray, and seats are tan as well.
Old 07-07-14, 02:12 PM