IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Roadrover CL8018 8" Navigation IMPORTANT INFO

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 01:39 PM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
A better idea would be to edit the path location in the settings and point it to the correct navigation software you are using.

Later today, I will try and post up my D2280 folder, should have the radio fix and skins ready to go.
I tried editing the paths in the .ini file first, but it didn't seem to work. It still gave the error. I thought maybe there is another file where it needed to be changed.

I have an idea of what is causing my screen to dim too. It's one of two things. The aftermarket taillights or the lower JDM bumper lights. I unplugged both tail/brake light harnesses a minute ago and the dimming stopped. I'm not quite sure yet, I'll have to think it through, but I should be able to fix that with relays -- I have a suspicion that the lower bumper lights have 2 sets of LEDs for park/brake and when you brake it lights both...which would run +12v back through the parking light circuit which is what the Navi is watching. The parking lights in the headlights don't light up, so I'm not quite sure what's going on -- but I know it stopped when I unplugged them so I'll have to do some more troubleshooting tonight.

Old 07-09-14, 02:23 PM
mb613
Driver School Candidate

Hi can anyone give me a hand here where do I paste the new d2280 folder I dont have an existing one on my sd card and would like to put in a new boot and skin file..
Old 07-09-14, 02:38 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on the location of files and folders.

Once you have your files on your SD card or USB drive, using the update app, go into winCE and go to my computer. You should now see your drives, including the internal NAND flash. Inside your units internal storage is where you want to replace the D2280 folder.

For the boot image file, I believe this goes in the root folder of the internal memory. After you paste it, reboot the unit and it should successfully upload. Then go back into the folder and delete the boot image or else it will keep uploading the image.
Old 07-09-14, 02:46 PM
mb613
Driver School Candidate

lol im way to confused here. I just got my unit today havent installed but before I do I thought I can just open my SD card on my computer using an adapter and copy paste everything where I need it and that would be it.. Not sure what you mean by WinCE and stuff.
Old 07-09-14, 03:34 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some more important information to understand with these units:

The unit runs WinCE as the operating system. Just like windows desktop, you have an explorer, start menu and even solitaire.

Within the internal flash memory is your D2280 folder that contains all the programs that you see when you are using the unit. When you boot up, windows opens up manager.exe, which is the essentially the main screen. When you click update or open update.exe it will close the manager application. If you delete, move or rename manager.exe, your unit will boot into winCE and that is it, until you manually open the manager.exe file. This can be useful if you are making changes that you are worried may screw up the manager program. By temporarily renaming manager.exe you can ensure that when you reboot the unit you will go into windows instead of a damaged manager program that could be stuck in a frozen loop.

Your manager program will open other programs, such as your music player or othello. When you are using the navigation and click on music, it is essentially a shortcut to the program in the D2280 folder.

Some of the features are built into the unit and don't require manager.exe to run, things like the climate and CD changer. I believe the software is not in control of these features, but uses the CANbus protocol to send and receive data, such as temperature setpoints and current settings feedback.

CANbus is simply a common automotive protocol standard. This refers to how information is sent and received.

If I post anything incorrect or that could use some clarification, feel free to let me know. I have only had this unit for about 4 months, and knew absolutely nothing about it before hand. So, I can definitely make errors.
Old 07-09-14, 05:03 PM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav Dimming Fixed!

So it was the JDM lower bumper lights causing the issue. I was right in thinking they had 2 sets of LEDs, one for parking lights and one for brake lights. When you step on the brake, the JDM lights internally apply +12v to the parking circuit and the Navi misreads this, even though it doesn't fool the CAN-BUS system and light up the other parking lights. So a little rewiring solved it.
Old 07-10-14, 04:53 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by corbryant
So it was the JDM lower bumper lights causing the issue. I was right in thinking they had 2 sets of LEDs, one for parking lights and one for brake lights. When you step on the brake, the JDM lights internally apply +12v to the parking circuit and the Navi misreads this, even though it doesn't fool the CAN-BUS system and light up the other parking lights. So a little rewiring solved it.
Thanks for the info. About to install led lower bumper lights myself, I'll add a diode to prevent this problem.
Old 07-15-14, 07:51 PM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droth
Thanks for the info. About to install led lower bumper lights myself, I'll add a diode to prevent this problem.
That's what I ended up doing. I had wired them to a key on power source but didn't like them running full time.

I have noticed a couple of weird issues with the NAV though. The most annoying of which is a loud fast digital beep sound when using the NAV. It's hard to explain, but not your typical beep. It almost sounds like I'm listening to the data stream between the GPS antenna and the NAV. I'm going to record it next time. Happens daily. No Fahrenheit option and no 12 hour format for the clock. The CD Changer button on the touch screen changes to the disc screen after hitting it a few times, but won't play anything then closes. To play CDs I have to hit the OEM CD/AUX below the unit. Not sure if these are unique issues but thought I'd share.

Does anyone know where to get the correct external mic for these? Or which input to use for it? It show it in the back of the manual but no info on ordering or connecting it. SMH
Old 09-02-14, 10:49 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a link to an updated D2280 folder. I had multiple versions and I think this one has all the updated skin files. I fixed the radio and cd images. Also changed some games to try out. Let me know if it has any issues and I will go out to my car and get the exact folder I am using.

Updated D2280
Old 09-04-14, 08:24 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Hey i soldered my new USB port and it says its connected... but when i try and play a movie on the screen via usb.. the screen turns red? like a bunch of lines and it doesnt play? any help?
Old 09-05-14, 08:20 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my nav installed for a few weeks and my dvd player clicks but wont play. Worked fine at first.
Wondering if its due to some strain on the bottom of the nav unit since they dont sit flush perfectly ?

Also, I made some nice looking icons so the whole nav unit looks like an ipod, but no matter how many tutorials I read on creating a bmp with a transparent background in photoshop..I cant replicate it. I added an alpha layer and changed the image to 32bit... etc.
I consider myself to be somewhat savy in CS... any pointers ? i'm willing to share once I get them worked out
EDIT: oh and I cant find the climate icon, I want to change that as well.
Old 09-05-14, 08:43 AM
tamiyatrf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
Hey i soldered my new USB port and it says its connected... but when i try and play a movie on the screen via usb.. the screen turns red? like a bunch of lines and it doesnt play? any help?
Make sure your movie format is support like mp4 or avi..., and aslo check the video resolution . I thnk the player only supports low resolution size like dvd or lower. Otherwise you will get black screen with no video only audio sounds or from what you described.
Old 09-23-14, 07:33 AM
arpegius
Driver School Candidate

Does your version allow for iPod to be fast forwarded or rewinded?
Old 09-23-14, 01:10 PM
arpegius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arpegius
Does your version allow for iPod to be fast forwarded or rewinded?
Nevermind, I just downloaded the folder D2280 September folder, updated mine and relized the iPod cannot be fast forwarded or jump to an specific part of the song.....

I also tried the video player and when trying to open the video from the file explorer it loops for a second but nothing happens, looks like is not launching the video player properly.... have you played a video on yours??
Old 10-01-14, 11:52 AM
maguilarp
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I was using my road rover unit with the common issues, however, I had to put it out and then reinstall, and now I have this issue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqvz...ature=youtu.be). I thought it was software, but I replaced my D2280 with the folder in this post and it was not fixed...any ideas to for look a solution?

Thanks in advance,
maguilarp

Last edited by maguilarp; 10-01-14 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Roadrover CL8018 8" Navigation IMPORTANT INFO