IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Said I wasn't going to mod, but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 07:23 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Said I wasn't going to mod, but...

..But everyone's cars look so nice. Lol.

All I have now:

Elemental Design 10" in fiberglass corner box.
Retrofitted TSX projectors.

Few things coming up this week:

GFX Front Lip - On the way.
ISC N1 Coilovers - Ordering as soon as they open back up for business Monday morning.

Wheels - Varrstoen ES1s 18x9.5 F, 18x10.5 R (sitting in garage)(tires will be changed to Michelin Pilot Sports before putting the wheels on the car

Just got these in for fog lights, PIAA Plasma ION Yellow

It only started because my friend gave me a killer deal on those wheels. And I know they're reps, but if I hit something and bent one, I wouldn't have my feelings hurt as bad as if they were real BBSs. And it's not like I'm parading around with BBS centercaps or something. So please, I've searched and read all the hate on reps. I'm ok with it, and I like it. That's all that matters.

I'm going to try ISC N1 coils and give you guys some feedback in case anyone was looking into these. I was thinking of Megan EZs, then considered BCs. But I have been in cars with BCs that were not very comfortable. That's just my own experience, I'm sure some of you have mastered your set-ups and have it very comfortable. To each their own. I'm going to give ISC a try.

Saving it until everything comes in and the lip gets painted, I'm going to throw it all on in one day.

Questions:
  • Anyone know of a decent and affordable set of lug nuts? Not looking to spend $200 on lug nuts.
  • Anything I will encounter when I lower to almost zero wheel gap? Meaning from the fender to the top of the tire, not the rim itself.
  • Other than f-sport parts, what are some alternatives to stiffening the car up a little? Strut Bar, Braces, etc?
Old 07-06-14, 07:42 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the choice of subwoofer as Elemental Designs was a great company. Its really a shame they went out of business.

If youre set on the ISC N1 you should check out this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...intro-buy.html they're a vendor and looking to give a deal out to someone.

Just remember almost all the cheap powder coated lugs will change colors over time - red to pink, black to grey etc.
Rear sway bar will make the most noticeable difference.

Last edited by xanderES; 07-06-14 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-06-14, 07:54 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did the Plasma Ion Yellows set you back?
Old 07-06-14, 08:18 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

For the struts you have Tanabe, Cusco and F-sport.
The sways = Cusco, Sikky
I would get the f-sport chassis frame cross bar..

Hehe The mod bugs will always bite any car enthusiast.
Old 07-06-14, 09:03 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice I've also been looking into the front lip myself. I'm not sure how you feel about Ultra Racing braces but they have them for about 6 different locations on our cars. I had two of them on my GS and was pleased with the quality. I'm actually considering their rear lower multi-point brace over the f sport. If i go with them i plan on painting them SGM at the same time i paint whatever parts i go with. Mine is a slow build lol. I want to get it all and do it once like you.
Old 07-06-14, 10:48 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xanderES
on the choice of subwoofer as Elemental Designs was a great company. Its really a shame they went out of business.

If youre set on the ISC N1 you should check out this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...intro-buy.html they're a vendor and looking to give a deal out to someone.

Just remember almost all the cheap powder coated lugs will change colors over time - red to pink, black to grey etc.
Rear sway bar will make the most noticeable difference.
  • That's who I'm buying the coils from. Thank you for pointing it out, though.
  • And yes, ED subs are fantastic for my taste. I wanted to just fill out the low end a little more than the oem sub, and it did just that and maybe a little more.
  • I'm not too worried about the color of the lugs, I was getting gray ones anyway to match my SGM. I just want to make sure they're decent and won't break, because I'm on the highway everyday, and I don't want to be on the side of the road changing my tire in work clothes.
  • Do you have any specific rear sway bars in mind?

How much did the Plasma Ion Yellows set you back?
  • I paid $42 shipped for them from someone on ebay. Someone bought them and were not the right size for his car. They go for about $75 everywhere I looked. May buy another set for the highbeams as they are also on at night (reduced power). I have never had to really use my highbeams, so I don't care about it being yellow when I click them on to full power.

For the struts you have Tanabe, Cusco and F-sport.
The sways = Cusco, Sikky
I would get the f-sport chassis frame cross bar..

Hehe The mod bugs will always bite any car enthusiast.
I will check those out, thank you for your input.
And yeah, I tried really hard to leave my car alone, and just have "enjoyment" mods, such as music and stuff. But I can't pass up a good deal.

I've also been looking into the front lip myself. I'm not sure how you feel about Ultra Racing braces but they have them for about 6 different locations on our cars. I had two of them on my GS and was pleased with the quality. I'm actually considering their rear lower multi-point brace over the f sport. If i go with them i plan on painting them SGM at the same time i paint whatever parts i go with. Mine is a slow build lol. I want to get it all and do it once like you.
I'm working this summer, so I have a little extra money to do this. Once school kicks back up in the fall, I'll be back in broke-college-student mode. Lol.

So it seems everyone is recommending rear sways and braces over the fronts first. I will check all these outs. I was looking into the FABULOUS or GFX lips, but was not able to find a replica for the FAB lip that wasn't fiberglass. So I went with GFX, which is still a very clean lip and it's polyurethane. Thanks so much for your input.

I will post pictures of the installs and stuff once I get it all in, in case anyone is interested.
Old 07-06-14, 05:12 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Once it starts, it won't stop!
Old 07-06-14, 05:45 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good little project going. I'd say start with the coils and F Sport sway bars. I had that and F Sport chassis brace along with Tanabe, Jun TW, and GT Spec chassis braces and front shock tower brace. You'll notice most with the first mentioned items and can then add the rest of braces as you'd like.
Old 07-06-14, 08:18 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

I couldn't wait, it was getting dark, so I replaced the foglight bulbs.

Passenger side = 3000K HID
Driver Side = PIAAs

Side View - It's hard to tell in the phone pics, but the HIDs have faded and now has a whitish-greenish tint to it.

3000K HID - Looks greenish doesn't it?

PIAAs - Very nice yellow

Another shot from the front to compare, did the best I could with the phone camera.

View from Driver seat, both sides with PIAAs

From the front. Camera in HDR mode.

I also replaced the small (168) bulbs with PIAA yellows

Front again, with both sides installed.

I definitely like the nice natural yellow with the PIAAs and no more glaring from the HIDs. I hardly ever turned them on before because the 3000Ks were just way too bright and pisses oncoming traffic off. I'd use them on a dark back road I take to work early in the morning. Overall, it seems like the light output is better with the PIAAs. Or maybe I'm just biased right now because they're new.
Old 07-06-14, 11:03 PM
lyjohnny
Driver School Candidate

nice wheels, cant wait to see you slap em on with coils, was gonna get those rims too.
Old 07-10-14, 10:25 AM
ISC Suspension
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the support sir we look forward to seeing some pics when you install them!
Old 07-10-14, 11:11 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice mods. Regarding light, yeah i have the final two choices PIAA Ion yellow vs HID. I went with HID for brightness and that green tint instead of the golden yellow that is so common nowaday. I don't think it is that bright to blind the oncoming traffic because it is sitting pretty low. Anyways, the PIAA looks pretty good too. Thanks for the nice pictures so i can now see the comparison. I think you got very good price. Last time I check, PIAA was like 80 dollars, may be it is because Plasma ion version??
Old 07-10-14, 12:03 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking wheels and nice lights dude.
Old 07-10-14, 12:32 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right about the PIAA lights. I had them on my 300 and they were stylin'. I just haven't got around to placing them on the 350 because theres nothing wrong with the lights ATM.
Old 07-10-14, 12:42 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Very nice mods. Regarding light, yeah i have the final two choices PIAA Ion yellow vs HID. I went with HID for brightness and that green tint instead of the golden yellow that is so common nowaday. I don't think it is that bright to blind the oncoming traffic because it is sitting pretty low. Anyways, the PIAA looks pretty good too. Thanks for the nice pictures so i can now see the comparison. I think you got very good price. Last time I check, PIAA was like 80 dollars, may be it is because Plasma ion version??
Man, that's what I thought too. Until one night a cop flashed his highbeams at me. That's when I know, it's attracting attention. Maybe I have mine pointed up or something. In any case, the HIDs looked good when it was new, but this was a year ago and they've now faded to an odd green tint. Either way, your lights will still look cool

Thanks for the support sir we look forward to seeing some pics when you install them!
Just about to get off work and pick them up at UPS, as a matter of fact. This weekend will be great. Car day starting Friday afternoon.

Good looking wheels and nice lights dude.
Hey thanks man. I'm pretty proud of the TSX projectors, every time I'm on a dark highway next to another IS, I usually have to compare the output. Mental competition I suppose

nice wheels, cant wait to see you slap em on with coils, was gonna get those rims too.
Thanks, likely today I will mount my MICHELIN PSS on the rears, and ride those cheap Nankangs out in the front for a little while till I change them to Michelins as well, no sense in wasting tires. We all know how long they last on the IS. Tomorrow is COILOVER INSTALL DAY. I cannot wait!

Quick Reply: Said I wasn't going to mod, but...