IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP NEEDED! Bought an IS350 from the Lexus Dealer with 2mm rear brakes left!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 06:01 AM
mosh12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP NEEDED! Bought an IS350 from the Lexus Dealer with 2mm rear brakes left!!!!!!

Hey All,

I just bought a pre-owned IS350 from the DVN Lexus Dealership a couple of months ago in April. I just went in for a servicing, 8k kms later for an oil change, and I inquired about the brakes. We didn't know if we wanted to get the brakes changed, so we asked what the state of the brakes were that they sold it to us in. They told us the back (rear) brakes were at 2mm whilst the front were at 9mm. I didn't exactly know what this meant, given my limited knowledge of cars but as I came home and researched it, 2mm is startlingly low. Could anyone confirm whether this is too low to be safely sold to a customer and driven? Potentially point me to a list of safety standards that clearly dictate that this is unsafe? Should I file a complaint with the dealership, let alone Lexus Corporate?

Thanks, and any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 07-02-14, 06:16 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you just replace the brake pads? Complaining won't do anything. It is a used car. I am sure there are multiple DIYs on how to change brake pads on these cars.
Old 07-02-14, 06:51 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you just need to change your brake pads... No big deal.
Old 07-02-14, 07:21 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I get what you're trying to say here but they theoretically can say that you could have worn them down while driving since a couple months have passed. It's kinda hard to prove
Old 07-02-14, 07:25 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Lexus only replace pads that are <50% for CPO cars.
Old 07-02-14, 08:39 AM
mosh12
Driver School Candidate

First of all, thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Why don't you just replace the brake pads? Complaining won't do anything. It is a used car. I am sure there are multiple DIYs on how to change brake pads on these cars.

Originally Posted by heyarms
Sounds like you just need to change your brake pads... No big deal.
I'm currently getting the brake pads changed by them for $600 which is not too bad I guess. I'm still enraged that they sold the car to me in that condition though!

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I get what you're trying to say here but they theoretically can say that you could have worn them down while driving since a couple months have passed. It's kinda hard to prove
Here's the thing. They completed a safety test before selling the vehicle. Today I went to them and wasn't sure whether we needed a brake change or not, so I asked them by their last count and record (which was the safety test they performed in April) in what state the brakes were at. And, they responded saying it was at 2mm at the point of sale. So is this what the safety test really entails? I find it that this is being unfair to their customers.

But again, to clarify with my limited knowledge of cars I can't say this with considerable value. That's why I'm coming to the community here, maybe I'm just overreacting and 2mm is perfectly safe and fine to drive at, but I'm not sure and as per my prior research its not.

Do you guys think I should suck it up, pay the fee and let it go? Or should I complain to Lexus Corporate - Do I have viable grounds to do so?

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-02-14, 08:55 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

MOSH12.

$600 for a brake job is pretty unreasonable in my opionion. Why do I say that? I am not a mechanic, but I do my own basic maintenance. Pretty easy stuff. That being said, I purchased (2) Front Rotors, (1) Set new FRONT PADs, (1) Set new REAR PADS & (2) Air Filters. Replaced everything in about an hour. It was purchased from Sewell Lexus shipped to my door for just about $295. (included CL discount, which you have as well)

An experience mechanic should not take longer than I did to do this job. So yeah, $300 for an hour of labor is a little high, even for a Lexus.

Back to your question, I would just buy new pads and replace them myself. It is NOT difficult for a mechanically inclined (even a little) person. I personally don't waste time complaining about anything that I can fix myself in a shorter time than it takes me to get over it. Unless you want to prove a point, then go for it. Otherwise, pay $50 bucks from Sewell for new pads, slap them on (rears take about 15 mins total both sides, btw), have a beer, and go enjoy your car. Save the corporate call for something worthwhile. Look at your pads, if they look thin, replace them, they're relatively inexpensive.

Note, be sure to follow all proper brakes replacement procedures.
Old 07-02-14, 09:31 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why dont you just have the brake pads changed? chances are you dont need the rotors changed at all unless they are scored or warped which it sounds like you didnt ask that. Most places change brake pads for <$90 with parts and labor. I would go back to the dealer and have them either foot the bill or reimburse you for the bill for selling you a car not up to saftey specs

Next time when you purchase the car ask them to go over the 50/100/250 point inspection with them before you receive the vehicle. Most dealers dont offer it unless you ask. Most people dont ask because most people arent mechanically inclined to know what they are talking about.
Old 07-02-14, 09:36 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the above post. 600 for brakes is way to expensive unless they are doing front and rear and replacing all rotors. Then is might be an OK price.

Another option on parts is partsgeek.com which I have used a bunch in the past. A very good aftermarket setup is Akebono ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad front and rear and Centric Premium or High Carbon rotors. Both pads and rotors are at least OEM quality or better. This set up should run about 350 shipped. If you don't need rotors the pads will run about $100. Take it to a local shop which will chare 1-2 hours of labor to do depending if you need rotors replaced or not and you will save a bunch of money.
Old 07-02-14, 09:56 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I think 2mm is the minimum to be considered safe to sell. You probably run through 1mm in 5000 miles. You can ask them how thick it is now. 1mm is when the brake pads need to be changed.
Old 07-02-14, 11:00 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd recommend also just buying the pads off Sewell and taking them in if you aren't able to install yourself. I had brakes done on our other car and install was only $40 and I bought the pads next door for $28. I think you are looking for the guidelines so the dealer may be able to pay out on it... i'd still replace now instead of waiting for them to take the hit if at all.
Old 07-02-14, 11:04 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they changed it, they would probably ask more for the car anyway.
Old 07-02-14, 11:39 AM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Minimum rear pad thickness per Lexus specs is listed at 1mm.

Some states have different minimum thickness for their state safety inspection.

2mm is a good thickness to recommend replacing pads as you can replace before they get down to where you take a chance on ruining the rotors.

If the pads were above 2mm when you purchased the car they would have been listed as ok. Unless the vehicle is being sold as CPO then the Lexus standard may be different.

Sounds like they pass the pre sell inspection and are now worn to where they are recommended to be replaced.

I don't know what the issue here is.

You purchased a USED car. It cannot and will not be perfect. Things wear out.

Brake pad life can vary depending on driving habits and the type of driving done.

If you have a problem with the pricing of the work done dont approve it.

Complaining about price after you have approved and the work is completed is like eating a steak in a restaurant then after you finish complaining about the price.

No matter what the price someone will always say they can do it cheaper.

Old 07-02-14, 12:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Unless you had in writing something specific about the brakes being repaced BEFORE purchasing, you've got no case. Sorry.

Now, you can probably get the rear brakes done at a brake shop for <$300. OR, you can spend that money on tools that will last you a lifetime and you can do them yourself. No special, pricey tools are necessary for such a servicing.

GL!
Old 07-02-14, 12:31 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mosh12
First of all, thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated. I'm currently getting the brake pads changed by them for $600 which is not too bad I guess. I'm still enraged that they sold the car to me in that condition though! Here's the thing. They completed a safety test before selling the vehicle. Today I went to them and wasn't sure whether we needed a brake change or not, so I asked them by their last count and record (which was the safety test they performed in April) in what state the brakes were at. And, they responded saying it was at 2mm at the point of sale. So is this what the safety test really entails? I find it that this is being unfair to their customers. But again, to clarify with my limited knowledge of cars I can't say this with considerable value. That's why I'm coming to the community here, maybe I'm just overreacting and 2mm is perfectly safe and fine to drive at, but I'm not sure and as per my prior research its not. Do you guys think I should suck it up, pay the fee and let it go? Or should I complain to Lexus Corporate - Do I have viable grounds to do so? Thanks again guys.
$600 what??? That's insane

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED! Bought an IS350 from the Lexus Dealer with 2mm rear brakes left!!!!!!