IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 2014 really that much better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 08:27 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have test driven the 2014 IS350 F Sport in July 2013 when the car was first released to sale in US and I was also invited to the "Lexus fast lane change" event where I can drive multiple cars hard on the autocross including BMW 335i, Benz C, Audi and Lexus IS.

From my honest opinion, the handling is SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Not only does it improve, the handling of the 3rd gen IS SURPASS all other cars in its class, it is even BETTER than the BMW 335i which used to be the industry standard. The 3rd IS is VERY FUN to drive.

Technically, it has the following significant improvement over the 2nd IS:
1. REAL paddle shifter like the ISF, not the fake "gear limiter" in the 2nd gen.
2. Better chassis.
3. Stiffer suspension.
4. 8 speed for smoother cruising.
5. LFA digital cluster. This thing will WOW you!
6. Power ++ mode that stiffen up the suspension and more aggressive shifting. I tried this in autocross and WOWWWW!
7. Very very balanced, way less understeering than the 2nd IS.

The 2nd gen IS350 with F sport spring/shocks/sway bar upgrades probably comes close to the 3rd gen IS350 F Sport 2014.

However, the 3rd IS also has cons:
1. Feel slightly less powerful than the 2nd gen IS. They have same HP on paper but I don't know why the 2nd gen IS seems a bit faster lol.
2. I also feel that the 2nd gen is little bit lighter when accelerate.
May be the 2nd IS has better HP/Weight ratio? These are speculations from my experience.

I almost pull the trigger and trade in my 2nd gen for the 3rd gen IS as I received 1000 gift certificate from the Lexus event. However, they did not offer any discount on the new car back then so I just wait out. I'm saving money for the RCF instead now

On the look, damn, I like both. They are one of its kind in its own class. I prefer the 3rd gen IS for its LFA cluster. I would buy this car just for this feature alone lol. That LFA cluster is just damnnnnn awesome!!!

While this is an old thread I'd like to point out your observation was spot on. Recently a comment was made about the outgoing ISF vs the incoming RCF and many people bemoaning the weight, paper numbers etc but reading your post and that of the following publication I'm thinking the same should be true of ISF vs RCF. Anyway kudos on a excellent write up.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/head-head-2014-lexus-is350-versus-2013-lexus-is350
Old 09-07-14, 10:25 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

i forgot to add to what i post long time ago... i don't know what they done with the sound of the engine inside the cabin but i found 2IS sounds better even though its the same V6.. 3IS sounds like a camry inside the cabin when floored...
Old 09-07-14, 11:43 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is the swaybar so good? Does it make the steering tighteR?
Old 09-08-14, 01:55 AM
slickwil89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a black 350 F-Sport 3IS a couple weeks back & the suspension, chassis, handling is amazing!!! I felt like I could handle anything thrown at me. 0-60 no problem. The LFA Guage is pretty cool. LED crying front lights look glorious. The red interior option is beautiful & the tech is by far outstanding. Although I love my 2IS to death I gotta give respect to the new gen of IS. The look & style has grown on me & I do fined myself on the road whenever I see a new 3IS comparing & contrasting. Here's why I would pick the 2IS any day though. Weight wise, 2IS is lighter & faster. 2IS has a bigger boost in power since its 6 speed & not 8 speed. Daily driven, not on a race track. Doesn't cost 15-25K more. Classic exterior look made from heaven. Interior is simple & less crowded. Lot's of MOD choices! A car style that will last 20yrs or more. Doesn't have a front grille that looks like a fish net or a wanna be Audi. I'm sure a lot of you can agree. If not, it's fine. We all have our opinions. Overall in the end of the the day I'd pick the 2IS.
Old 09-08-14, 11:49 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
While this is an old thread I'd like to point out your observation was spot on. Recently a comment was made about the outgoing ISF vs the incoming RCF and many people bemoaning the weight, paper numbers etc but reading your post and that of the following publication I'm thinking the same should be true of ISF vs RCF. Anyway kudos on a excellent write up.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/head-h...13-lexus-is350
Thank you for your compliment. Wow, I'm glad to see other similar opinions like mine. I speak it from my actual feel of the car. Overall, I think Lexus is heading the right direction--handling performance oriented. Props to Lexus
Old 09-08-14, 11:52 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gerb
Why is the swaybar so good? Does it make the steering tighteR?
It makes it so that the rear remains planted when turning faster.
Old 09-08-14, 12:18 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've read over several comparisons and have a question pointed at the 8-sp vs 6-sp auto trans. Wouldn't the 8-sp allow for more increased acceleration due to MORE shorter gears? What is the final drive ratio in the 350 3IS?

Also, I have to point out the fact that any members doing a test drive a NEW 3IS vs a USED 2IS will feel the 3IS being better. I mean, come on now; 200 miles vs 100k miles. LOL!
Old 09-08-14, 01:17 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
I've read over several comparisons and have a question pointed at the 8-sp vs 6-sp auto trans. Wouldn't the 8-sp allow for more increased acceleration due to MORE shorter gears? What is the final drive ratio in the 350 3IS?

Also, I have to point out the fact that any members doing a test drive a NEW 3IS vs a USED 2IS will feel the 3IS being better. I mean, come on now; 200 miles vs 100k miles. LOL!
Here is my take on your question:
In both cases, the final gear determines the acceleration vs. top speed. In general, shorter final gear = better acceleration. If we assume both 8speed and 6speed to have same final gear, then they would have almost same top speed with similar acceleration. However, I would pick the 6speed because fewer number of shifts also = better acceleration. Every time a car shift, it loses a tiny little bit of time and also creates weight transfer. If there is a difference between the 2nd and 3rd generation IS in term of acceleration, I would imagine it is the FINAL drive ratio and weight difference.
Old 09-08-14, 02:08 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

From looking at the gear ratios, the 8 speed should have a gearing advantage starting from the 4th gear vs the 6 speed.

For what it's worth, I have a 2IS RWD (f sport intake) and I raced my friend's 3IS AWD (stock). By 60, I have 3+ car lengths on him and by 100 I have 10 car lengths. Ok maybe not 10 car lengths but I was so far ahead by 60 that I can see him in my rear view mirror.

We also tried rolling starts from 10 and the result was the same. I even gave him a head start and I reeled him in by the end of first gear.

Against another friend's 3IS RWD, the result was similar.

Also timed the 0-60 runs using the gtech pro. My car gets 4.8-4.9 while 3IS averages 5.7

I doubt my mods are making that much of a difference but the 2IS is clearly faster.

The handling of the 3IS does feel more planted compared to the 2IS though. I'm planning to get the F sport sway bars and do another comparison.

Also the ML sound system in the 3IS sounds like crap. I'm not sure what it is but the 3IS ML surround speakers are not as active and the sound isn't as clear/crisp - it almost sounds muffled like comparing AM to FM.
Old 09-08-14, 03:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yep I believe now that many have confirmed the 2IS is faster than the 3IS in term of straight line acceleration. Your description is almost exactly what I saw from another member in another thread. Your car is quite fast 4.8-4.9 for 0-60. I bet you must have pretty good launch.

Regarding the ML system, did you or they adjust the bass/mid/treble and turn on the surround sound settings? That can make a major difference. Also, the source of the sound can make or break the quality. Were you listening to MP3 with 192 or higher quality at that time? Anything below that is crap regardless how good the system is.

I heard the ML in the 3IS, it sounds even better than the ML in my 2IS.
Old 09-08-14, 03:35 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

as far as better turn in and handling and all that, tires make a huge difference.
Old 09-08-14, 03:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

True, good tires improve traction and handling. However, if you put in same tires on both 2IS and 3IS, the 3IS still outperforms the 2IS in term of handling anytime due to better suspension system. I would like you to test drive the 3IS FSport version to see the improvement.
Old 09-08-14, 05:01 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yep I believe now that many have confirmed the 2IS is faster than the 3IS in term of straight line acceleration. Your description is almost exactly what I saw from another member in another thread. Your car is quite fast 4.8-4.9 for 0-60. I bet you must have pretty good launch.

Regarding the ML system, did you or they adjust the bass/mid/treble and turn on the surround sound settings? That can make a major difference. Also, the source of the sound can make or break the quality. Were you listening to MP3 with 192 or higher quality at that time? Anything below that is crap regardless how good the system is.

I heard the ML in the 3IS, it sounds even better than the ML in my 2IS.
Yes it was a controlled test using 320kb/s MP3s to compare the sound quality. We've tried adjusting the treble, bass and fiddled with the surround settings but it didn't seem to make much of a difference . The sound seems to be very concentrated in the front speakers of the car and the sides/rear speakers are not as active compared to the ML in the 2IS. I think others have also felt that the 2IS system is clearly better. The specs seems to indicate that the 3IS system is be better but we're not hearing it. We got a few friends to double check that we're not hearing things and we all felt the same.

It's too bad that the 3IS doesn't support DTS. Lexus probably didn't want to pay the license fee so they dropped support for DTS. Otherwise, that would have been a very good test as DTS 5.1 makes really good use of the surrounds and the sound quality is 1500kb/s

Who knows, maybe the speakers needs time to break in.
Old 09-08-14, 06:46 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darkdream
It makes it so that the rear remains planted when turning faster.
If I just city drive it's of no use to me?
Old 09-08-14, 06:48 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by infin8ti
Yes it was a controlled test using 320kb/s MP3s to compare the sound quality. We've tried adjusting the treble, bass and fiddled with the surround settings but it didn't seem to make much of a difference . The sound seems to be very concentrated in the front speakers of the car and the sides/rear speakers are not as active compared to the ML in the 2IS. I think others have also felt that the 2IS system is clearly better. The specs seems to indicate that the 3IS system is be better but we're not hearing it. We got a few friends to double check that we're not hearing things and we all felt the same.

It's too bad that the 3IS doesn't support DTS. Lexus probably didn't want to pay the license fee so they dropped support for DTS. Otherwise, that would have been a very good test as DTS 5.1 makes really good use of the surrounds and the sound quality is 1500kb/s

Who knows, maybe the speakers needs time to break in.
didn't lexus change the materials used on the speakers in these new lexus? to like a bamboo fiber or is that just the CT200h?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 2014 really that much better?