IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3M clear bra for entire car

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 05:44 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
If you are going to clear bra the whole car, might as well vinyl the car a different color.
True, but the vinyl isn't as thick as the clear bra material.
Old 06-27-14, 08:35 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rawr2is250
From what i've seen, if you get a clear bra only like the front of your car, where ever the bra ends, it catches dirt and you can see a fine line of where the dirt is caught compared to the unwrapped portion.
I think that may be true, but it is really only noticeable on light colored cars. You can see the line of where my clear bra ends on my hood, when you get close to it. But, there is no differentiation in color
Old 06-27-14, 12:50 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by magnuscat
I think that may be true, but it is really only noticeable on light colored cars. You can see the line of where my clear bra ends on my hood, when you get close to it. But, there is no differentiation in color
Yeah, I've seen it on a SFP IS. It was really noticeable even at night.
Old 06-27-14, 01:01 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front bumper and lip is protected with Xpel Ultimate. I wouldn't recommend applying paint protection film to just a section of a body panel because it's more visible (those dirt lines). If you want to get it applied, get it on the whole panel so you don't notice any lines.
Old 06-27-14, 03:48 PM
KaShiDC
Rookie

I have the 3M and it is definitely worth the money. Just the ease of cleaning off bugs would make me do it again. The lines are visible under inspection, I have a silver IS and you can see the lines if you look but it is not otherwise noticeable. I only have the full hood, front bumper, and mirrors done. I feel I should have done the roof for the area above the windshield but so far no noticeable chips there. I also understand it prevents keying your car but I won't take up double spaces or park awkwardly so I haven't had an issue, yet. Remember to get it done before your car gets chipped or it will just be a waste of money as it will never look clean.
Old 07-28-14, 09:02 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I had 3M clear bra in the whole front. It is not really noticeable until you are close to the car. It has been on for 3 years and NOT a single rock chip on my front bumper. Clean as first day.

I used to put it on the full rear bumper too but I removed it.
I was thinking of getting my entire hood done. The 07's have horrible paint, and I have chips on the hood like crazy (no where else, thankfully).

Do you think I should still get it done with the chips already there? Most have been 'self repaired' by the previous owner, but are definitely a DIY job.

How easy is it to remove the clear bra in the future?

Thanks
Old 07-28-14, 10:33 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Hello Guys,

Since we are on the clear bra and chip pain. what is the best alternative for DIY pain chip on the hood, and such as some chips can be buff out and deep chips can't? I am also looking in the 3M clear spray, but I have seen on youtube and it just did not sold at least to me. Clear bra can be expensive depend on what brands and how small or big of the area. I have not looking into plastic dip yet especially for the glossy/clear type.
Old 07-29-14, 08:08 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Back to the topic. As mentioned by sffd, it's gunna be pretty expensive to clear bra your whole car. The material itself is more expensive than some of the 3M vinyls that professional shops use to wrap whole cars with (obviously per square ft). Matte black wrap is around 2k, while brushed metal is around 5k (with labor). I think the brushed metallic 3M vinyl material is the only type of vinyl more expensive than clear bra material.

Also as mentioned, if your cars front end isn't 100%, small chips and scratches will show through the clear bra as dirt lines under. You may a swell vinyl wrap your car satin white or gloss white if you plan on clear bra wrapping your whole car.

Source: have talked to my wrap guys about it before.
Old 07-29-14, 08:13 AM
robtwo
Rookie

3M isn't the best product anymore. There are others that don't yellow overtime.

If you keep your cars for more then a few years doing the entire car might be worth it to you. For me the front end and rear bumper trim is enough. Touch up paint for the effects of kids is a lot cheaper
Old 07-29-14, 08:21 AM
Jaytea
Driver

I wasn't stating 3M clear bra specifically. I was stating that 3M brushed metal is one of the most expensive material per sq ft. when used to wrap a car.

And what clear bra brand did you use? Avery and 3M are sworn up north by all the high end wrap shops because they can last many summers AND crazy Canadian winters.
Old 07-29-14, 09:11 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3M for the whole front for 3 years now. I also added another layer of protection on top of it with Opticoat. Not a single rock chip in the front bumper and it did NOT yellow at all when you maintain it properly (regular wash + xpel clearbra protectant + opticoat ).
Old 07-29-14, 09:14 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jaytea
I wasn't stating 3M clear bra specifically. I was stating that 3M brushed metal is one of the most expensive material per sq ft. when used to wrap a car.

And what clear bra brand did you use? Avery and 3M are sworn up north by all the high end wrap shops because they can last many summers AND crazy Canadian winters.
The name escapes me. It's a self healing non-yellowing clear bra, from some big company. Maybe plasti something is in the name. 3M only recently started offering a self healing product.
Old 07-29-14, 10:53 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robtwo
The name escapes me. It's a self healing non-yellowing clear bra, from some big company. Maybe plasti something is in the name. 3M only recently started offering a self healing product.
It's the Xpel film.
Old 07-29-14, 12:05 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have 3M for the whole front for 3 years now. I also added another layer of protection on top of it with Opticoat. Not a single rock chip in the front bumper and it did NOT yellow at all when you maintain it properly (regular wash + xpel clearbra protectant + opticoat ).
talking about clear bra or just a wrap job?
Old 07-29-14, 02:21 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

3M clear bra. I also top it off with Opticoat (google in case you don't know) for better UV protection, better water sheeting/beading, better chemical resistant.

Originally Posted by dorkacho
talking about clear bra or just a wrap job?

Quick Reply: 3M clear bra for entire car