IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best and Worst of the IS

Old 06-21-14, 09:08 AM
CNStars17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best and Worst of the IS

Good morning fellas -

Whats your favorite and least favorite parts about your car?

Personally I love the telescoping wheel, the rear end, and the rear window shade. But, why the satellite button w/ no receiver???
Old 06-21-14, 02:46 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my '06 350 now for 5 or so months. Haven't found much yet that I'd classify as a front runner favorite. Most all of it is beast! The least favorite part? I'd have to say the dash and top of the door panels. The dash and door panels scratch easily and seems to hold onto any bit of dust/fiber that comes in contact with it. The previous owner I think had some work done on the Nav system (possibly a warranty issue) and I can see the spots on the dash where it has chunked off from where the tools were used to removed the AC vents on the top. On the door panels if I'm reaching for the handle to close the door and my nails hit the panel I take pieces of it with my under my nails. The sun shield also leaves marks when I put it on and off the windshield. I'm sure I'll have to look into replacing the dash in the next few years.
Old 06-21-14, 03:44 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I love everything my IS has but for the slow reaction "shift paddles" they call it.
Old 06-21-14, 03:52 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my IS for almost 8 years so everything seems a bit outdated.
Old 06-21-14, 03:53 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CNStars17
Good morning fellas -

Whats your favorite and least favorite parts about your car?

Personally I love the telescoping wheel, the rear end, and the rear window shade. But, why the satellite button w/ no receiver???
There is satellite radio was an option. Your car probably did not come with the option.

Last edited by darkdream; 06-21-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 08:06 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my car.....my only pet peeves are no heated seats or navigation. I got my 6sp manual though which was the only must have and that was hard to find in my area to begin with so I'll take it! It's been 7 months and I honestly haven't missed my heated seats at all really. I have however missed my in dash navi. I'll be getting a fly audio unit to satisfy that need lol
Old 06-23-14, 08:10 AM
eplugplay
Driver

I've had my IS350 for exactly 1 year this month and I love it. I love the back of the car (something about it looks so clean). I bought it last June just before the 2014 models were released and honestly I could've gone with the 2014 IS350 but decided to get the 2013 (bought it new) because I just liked the styling better. Not to hate on the new 2014 as I've read that it does drive a bit better for handling, but I disliked what they did to the grill as well as moving the giant nike check led lights in the front down. Also what they did to the back tail lights, changing it longer and to curve at the end.

As for my least favorite part of the car, which is actually the ECU Power mode. It makes me feel like the car is driving for me. I usually break slowly early on from a calculated distance but with the ECU power mode on it kinda fudges my calculation since it downshifts so fast and stays there making it feel uncomfortable and exaggerates the breaking as well as accelerating.

Last edited by eplugplay; 06-23-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 08:21 AM
malicha1
Driver School Candidate

i Have my 06 is350 for a year now and i simply love it all together
it has it all: nav, audio is awesome, cooled and heated seats, RWD!!!!!! a lot of fun driving it
Old 06-23-14, 09:15 AM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2012 IS350 for a week now and I like just about everything.
The only things that I don't really like are:
Can only change the fan speed (I miss the **** from my Civic) and adjust the air type or whatever you call it through the navi
When I change songs through the USB from my iPhone, the songs change slowly and are delayed so that I miss 2-4 seconds of the beginning
I feel like the head unit area is kind of ugly and old fashion looking
I kind of find the little lump right by the gas pedal annoying and obnoxious
The backseat is kind of small.. I don't think any tall/big people will have a good time sitting in the back
The worst probably has to be some whining noise that I can hear with the windows down when I am accelerating from like 0-25 mph or something. I don't think I really hear it after I go any higher.

Other than those things, I love the car!
Old 06-23-14, 09:18 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Main gripe is the gear limiter. Would have prefered actual paddle shifting.
Old 06-23-14, 11:42 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Cons:
#1 wish they come with real paddle shifter not some gear limiter.
#2 not to be able to tune the car
#3 not enough aftermarket support
#4 no manual for is350
#5 interior looks outdated esp headunit w/o navi.
#6 weak leg room in the back
#7 not enough side bolster support for the seats
that's it so far. I know there's more

Pros
#1 reliable
#2 looks nice
#3 rwd
Old 06-23-14, 11:55 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What I dislike is the rear room and the noise it makes when I'm charging my Android with the outlet while using the phone for aux. Makes this whistling noise which is louder when my rpms are higher. Also has this bad static at times. Wish the mirrors would move down by itself when you're trying to reverse park. What I like is the community behind the is. Tons of people to help ya out. Good amount of mods at hand but with the large community, there should be just a little more
Old 06-23-14, 12:07 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
What I dislike is the rear room and the noise it makes when I'm charging my Android with the outlet while using the phone for aux. Makes this whistling noise which is louder when my rpms are higher.
omg this drives me insane lol
Old 06-23-14, 12:54 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

having owned my 350 for 3 months, only gripe are the low profile front tires make the ride a bit choppy on rough roads. will replace them with 45 series tire instead of the stock 40.
Old 06-23-14, 01:16 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
What I dislike is the rear room and the noise it makes when I'm charging my Android with the outlet while using the phone for aux. Makes this whistling noise which is louder when my rpms are higher. Also has this bad static at times. Wish the mirrors would move down by itself when you're trying to reverse park. What I like is the community behind the is. Tons of people to help ya out. Good amount of mods at hand but with the large community, there should be just a little more
Originally Posted by SubieChik;8595521[B
]omg this drives me insane lol[/B]
There was a service bulletin to address that issue... they simply install a resister or filter of some sort in line with the aux port to filter out the noise in the system. Quick and easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best and Worst of the IS