IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Usage of paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 10:12 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
What exactly do you mean by a video on how to use them? One side shifts down, the other shifts up... Seems pretty straight forward.

On a side note, I like our paddle shifters much more than the BMW style. On theirs, both sides have an up and a down.
Some people actually do not know how to use paddle shifters and since I'm one of the many who know how to drive stick and drive an IS with paddles, I decided to put in the effort and help the people out there who don't know how to use paddles haha. There are actually a lot of people out there who don't know how to use paddles, I'm actually really surprised but I don't mind teaching them

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Pleas link to your YouTube video so we can properly critique it.
I'll do so later this afternoon.
Old 06-23-14, 10:15 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azfsprt
+1
Ya what everyone has said it is a gear limiter and not a shifter. Stupid Toyota transmission "paddle shifter".

To answer your question no its not bad to use them as long as you use them properly. If you use them and redline on the lower gears a lot then yes of course you are hurting all the internal components of your transmission and your engine in the long run reducing its lifetime.

But even if you use them everyday and used properly then you are fine. Regardless if it has a clutch or not its as if you have any basic AT car and shift to a lower gear or on 4 cylinders you could also use OD to downshift "Overdrive" to climb hills or have a little control of the acceleration/feel. Its the same concept with the use of the isx50 shifter.
You'll be fine.
I use paddles when I want the immediate power to kick in or when I'm driving in the mountains to maintain speed (I'm running between 4k and 5500 RPMs, I've barely taken the car up to redline because just from the sound, it seems like I'm putting too much stress on the engine).

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Actually, all 3IS models have legitimate paddle shifters, regardless of transmission. It is a significant improvement over the 2IS automatic models, even on low end IS250 models.

Jeff
Yeah I've driven my friend's 2014 IS250 and I love the shifting, wish they had that in the 2IS -__-
Old 06-23-14, 10:27 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Since the 2IS does not rev-match during manual downshifts, it can sometimes result in a jerky shift response from the transmission. I assume that it puts more strain on the drivetrain but I'm unable to determine if it will lead to an eventual problem with the 6-speed transmission in the long term.

When I scanned through the historical threads regarding ISx50 tranmission problems, most of the failures with the transmission had to do with the shift solenoid. Unfortunately, there was no information from the owners on if excessive use of the paddle shifters was a contributing factor to their transmission failure.
Old 06-24-14, 08:53 AM
2012IS250
Pole Position

I honestly don't know why Lexus put in paddle shifters for the IS then other than the IS F lol. They should have expected some people to use paddle shifters as a substitute for manual transmission if paddles really are not for usage just like stick shift because that's what I'm basically using them for. I've used them a few times for slowing down at a light but since I got aftermarket exhaust, when I downshift from 6th all the way down to 2nd doing 40, you could hear my car from like at least 8 car lengths away (sort of why I don't use paddles for slowing down anymore haha).
Old 12-02-20, 07:49 PM
chouavue10
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok guys. resurrected. so Gernby has tested manual shift of rpms reaching 6700?!? so in theory from a roll race in an empty safe area does that mean that shifting (which should be easier to time from a roll) would actually be beneficial in these types of environments? Getting that extra 100 rpms that gernby has tested by perfectly manual shifting would probably make a difference rather than just leaving it in d? That sounds then like the sport shifting does have a place? Am I understanding this correctly? Drag race leave in D of course. Roll race use shifters for that extra 100 rpms gernby has talked about...
Old 12-03-20, 12:32 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by chouavue10
ok guys. resurrected. so Gernby has tested manual shift of rpms reaching 6700?!? so in theory from a roll race in an empty safe area does that mean that shifting (which should be easier to time from a roll) would actually be beneficial in these types of environments? Getting that extra 100 rpms that gernby has tested by perfectly manual shifting would probably make a difference rather than just leaving it in d? That sounds then like the sport shifting does have a place? Am I understanding this correctly? Drag race leave in D of course. Roll race use shifters for that extra 100 rpms gernby has talked about...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post3042656

tl;dr: no. D is the fastest, and has the highest shift points regardless of the race (roll or 0). You're only getting higher shift points if you buy one of the available tunes.
Old 12-03-20, 12:56 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

It seems the recent resurrection changed the intended purpose of the thread?

Manually rev matching auto's and manuals will extend the life of the clutches wet or dry. Less clash equals less loss of fractions, reduced loading, reduced shock, less heat, and less metal fatigue.

As most notice, driving in ECT mode increases shock loading especially when the auto downshift aggressively drops gears while the driver is braking using the foot brake. IME this does all the things I mentioned in the second paragraph above.

Mine is manually shifted often to minimize its activities of shifting to say 6th when I know I'll be coming to a full stop 10 seconds later. The same with brake taps making it drop a gear. I Manually select an appropriate gear so it doesn't aggressively drop gears unnecessarily.

As for the tune, unless manually shifted, most of the tunes retain the same shift points they had before the tune. So, no change.