IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stitch on leather steering wheel cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 11:09 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received mine. came with a lot of stuff. the Glue i ordered from Amazon. all others came in box.
Old 09-02-14, 02:44 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just placed an order for mine with blue stitching. Was going to order the flat bottom F Sport wheel but this should tide me over. Hopefully the blue is a good match for the F Sport shifter ****.
Old 09-03-14, 07:19 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

final product!

Old 09-05-14, 10:48 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
^ you need to feel/try it in person. I have 2014 vehicle in my garage and this leather makes my 09 feel just like the fresh leather on the 14. Will it last? that is TBD, but $30 well spent in refreshing the steering wheel.
I agree. Mine is still holding strong. It's holding up pretty well. I think the key to snugness is to put the "wings" on the front and use the double sided tape LIBERALLY. I am going to order another one because I am OCD like that and I'm all out of string to redo my existing one Besides, its only 30 bucks and I think I got the install down pretty well. This time around I plan on using the double sided tape ALL AROUND the steering wheel.

BTW, When I redid it, the double sided tape goo came off easily and did not mar the original leather. Though I only had it on a week or two before redoing it.

Old 09-05-14, 10:51 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by getafewliv
I have mixed feelings about mine. Quality feels really good, but I feel like it looks out of place for some reason.
It may be that the stitch is not EXACTLY like the one in the seats. other than that, I'm likling mine a lot. I do want to try to do a more clean install ( istill have a little bagginess in the bottom spoke.
Old 09-13-14, 09:08 AM
got556
Rookie

Hope mine gets here soon. I'm itching to mod this car.
Old 09-13-14, 10:49 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

reporting back after installing around 2 weeks ago. I did the wings in front, tape liberally especially in the spoke areas, and there is no sagging at all, front or back of the steering wheel!
Old 09-17-14, 04:40 PM
got556
Rookie

I just did the wings in front. It looks good but I definitely have air pockets at the spokes, and one wing won't tuck in completely. Rather frustrated with it, honestly. It looks great with my F Sport shift ****, but man, I just wish it would have turned out better. In some places I seemed to have excess leather, to where I was having to try to even it all out, and in other areas where one wing is, it's not long enough and won't tuck in/hide completely.
Old 09-17-14, 10:41 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pmanliu
reporting back after installing around 2 weeks ago. I did the wings in front, tape liberally especially in the spoke areas, and there is no sagging at all, front or back of the steering wheel!

I just received my new one from the guy selling it for 29.99 and the box is much nicer. You'd think it was a fine watch or something lol. The leather and kit are the same. I will try to redo it soon. I have the next few weekends booked up so might not be for a while.
Old 09-18-14, 06:23 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by got556
I just did the wings in front. It looks good but I definitely have air pockets at the spokes, and one wing won't tuck in completely. Rather frustrated with it, honestly. It looks great with my F Sport shift ****, but man, I just wish it would have turned out better. In some places I seemed to have excess leather, to where I was having to try to even it all out, and in other areas where one wing is, it's not long enough and won't tuck in/hide completely.
hm that is odd, perhaps it may not be positioned correctly. Its a little tricky, and not exactly 100% intuitive. I had to redo two of the spokes in order to get it to tuck in. My big spoke at the 6:00 position does not tuck in all the way in the rear but thats probably my fault from crappy stitching. Did you also use a lot of tape? Heres a pic of mine and the amt of tape used...

Stitch on leather steering wheel cover-nxzllkc.jpg

Stitch on leather steering wheel cover-6eazmra.jpg

Stitch on leather steering wheel cover-esasu24.jpg
Originally Posted by Joelseff

I just received my new one from the guy selling it for 29.99 and the box is much nicer. You'd think it was a fine watch or something lol. The leather and kit are the same. I will try to redo it soon. I have the next few weekends booked up so might not be for a while.
Seriously, i was blown away by the packaging. Everything was in nice fancy boxes. I was expecting it to come wrapped up in some plastic shopping bag.
Old 09-18-14, 06:52 AM
2ISTruong
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathanz

how do you unclip this from the airbag? thanks
Old 09-18-14, 07:19 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2ISTruong
how do you unclip this from the airbag? thanks
Take a flathead and pop the yellow cups outwards like how they are currently in that picture. Afterwards you can just pull the plug straight out. Reinstall is the opposite - plug in the clips, then push down on the yellow tabs.
Old 09-18-14, 07:20 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Pull these two yellow clips out with a small flat head screw driver. Once they are pulled out they will detach.
Old 09-18-14, 07:32 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

yes to above, that's how you pull the plugs out, i'm glad my picture made it useful!
Old 09-18-14, 08:46 AM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

I may restitch this sometime, never done any sewing before hand lol
My stitching got way better the further along I got xD

Quick Reply: Stitch on leather steering wheel cover