IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stitch on leather steering wheel cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 10:55 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ISTruong
Stitched mine on yesterday.. turned out ok. Had trouble getting the spoke regions flush and tight so it's a little baggy on the front and back side.

Would be difficult to do if you didn't remove the SRS airbag and the controls. I tried at first w/ everything in tact and was getting no where so removing everything is the way to go. Had issues getting the cover to line up right on the spoke regions and probably didn't use enough double sided tape.

Overall, i think it was worth the $30. Did this mainly to make the wheel thicker. Looks and feels pretty good for that price. I might try to redo it if the spoke region baggyness bothers me but so far it doesn't since the majority of the time im holding the lower left area which is nice and tight. Definitely coulda turned out better if I had spent more time working on the cover alignment but whatever. We'll see how the cover holds up over time.
Might be a long shot, but any chance it is on backwards? I know another member had the same issues but when he reversed it everything fit pretty snug.

Btw nice mountek - best $20 mod i've ever spent
Old 08-25-14, 11:35 AM
2ISTruong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Might be a long shot, but any chance it is on backwards? I know another member had the same issues but when he reversed it everything fit pretty snug.

Dang, I think you might be right come to think about. I may re-do this if it really bugs me. Thanks for the feedback.

Mountek is awesome!
Old 08-25-14, 12:12 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even the back was snug?

I honestly don't remember even noticing a difference or checking to see if mine was on backwards. The front of mine is snug, but on the backs it pillows out a bit until I squeeze it down.

Would leather glue damage the existing leather? That was my biggest worry, if I decide later to remove it, I don't want to cause any damage.

I regret going with the white stitching. It's not horrible, but It's just going to get dirty and gross over time and I think I would prefer a more subtle option. I got them to send me some black thread, but it will be a pain starting from scratch AND having to rethread the stitching that comes pre-done on the cover.
Old 08-27-14, 08:00 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Even the back was snug?

I honestly don't remember even noticing a difference or checking to see if mine was on backwards. The front of mine is snug, but on the backs it pillows out a bit until I squeeze it down.

Would leather glue damage the existing leather? That was my biggest worry, if I decide later to remove it, I don't want to cause any damage.

I regret going with the white stitching. It's not horrible, but It's just going to get dirty and gross over time and I think I would prefer a more subtle option. I got them to send me some black thread, but it will be a pain starting from scratch AND having to rethread the stitching that comes pre-done on the cover.
In the pictures on this thread, everyone who has installed the wheel cover has had the "tail" or "wing" looking pieces on the rear of the steering wheel. However one member mentioned that when he installed it with the tail/wings on the front of the wheel instead of the rear, it fit a lot more snug.

I just received my cover today, and did not get a chance to experiment with it yet. Still trying to figure out front/back.

Also considering with the red 3m double sided tape (same one used for spoilers, etc) to patch up the air pockets. A little worried that it may be strong enough to rip off the OEM leather though.

edit -

So i found this video by xu ji, who is the manufacturer of the stitch on cover. Two things to note...

1) the insane amount of tape he uses
2) the winglet/tail thingies seem to be in the front.

I will try to install this holiday weekend and report back with results using excessive amounts of tape and also keeping the winglet/tail thingies towards the front.

Last edited by pmanliu; 08-27-14 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 06:56 AM
2ISTruong
Rookie

In the pictures on this thread, everyone who has installed the wheel cover has had the "tail" or "wing" looking pieces on the rear of the steering wheel. However one member mentioned that when he installed it with the tail/wings on the front of the wheel instead of the rear, it fit a lot more snug.

I just received my cover today, and did not get a chance to experiment with it yet. Still trying to figure out front/back.

Also considering with the red 3m double sided tape (same one used for spoilers, etc) to patch up the air pockets. A little worried that it may be strong enough to rip off the OEM leather though.

edit -

So i found this video by xu ji, who is the manufacturer of the stitch on cover. Two things to note...

VW Tiguan Addict Super Steering Wheel Cover Installation Video - YouTube

1) the insane amount of tape he uses
2) the winglet/tail thingies seem to be in the front.

I will try to install this holiday weekend and report back with results using excessive amounts of tape and also keeping the winglet/tail thingies towards the front.
I did mine with the winglet things on the front and it wasn't super snug. I think the winglet should have been on the backside. either way I should have used more tap around the spokes. Hope yours turns out flawless. Let us know how it goes and which way you installed the winglets.
Old 08-28-14, 08:56 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

If I were to do mine again (which I may, but I am worried it will end up stretched out, especially if I flip it around), I would make sure to clean everything extremely well and use a ton of tape, everywhere!

But I would not use the extra strong 3m tape, too thick and you would feel it. Not to mention damage to the steering wheel.
Old 08-28-14, 02:00 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I installed mine a couple of days ago. I put the wings to the front like the video, but I did something different with the stitching. I "cross stitched" (look on you tube for this) directly into the leather, instead of through the pre installed stitching like they show in the video. This makes for a much tighter fit because the leather does not stretch as much as the flimsy stitching does. It was time consuming (4-5 hrs) but well worth it, imo... It would have been easier if I had completely removed the wheel, but i did it on the car.
Old 08-28-14, 03:39 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mike33
I installed mine a couple of days ago. I put the wings to the front like the video, but I did something different with the stitching. I "cross stitched" (look on you tube for this) directly into the leather, instead of through the pre installed stitching like they show in the video. This makes for a much tighter fit because the leather does not stretch as much as the flimsy stitching does. It was time consuming (4-5 hrs) but well worth it, imo... It would have been easier if I had completely removed the wheel, but i did it on the car.
Would you be bale to post some pics? How's the fit using this method?

Do the larger back portions bubble out at all?
Old 08-28-14, 09:24 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fragger
Thanks, ordered mine, in Blue... like the F ! LOL!

Now if only someone can do a nice DIY video !!!
Does the blue match the F Sport blue? Wondering if it will be a good match for the F Sport shift ****.

Please update once you receive.

Last edited by SeanIS350; 08-29-14 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-30-14, 12:22 PM
SmokeyIS
Driver School Candidate

just finished sewing my red thread steering wheel cover, and it's very good quality compared to the OEM leather steering wheel. Overall, it's well worth $30 and it's fun mod to do.

b

Old 08-30-14, 08:07 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found another link with them priced at $26.99 now:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/2032992103.html

The other nice thing about this link is that you can see the color of the blue stitching and it looks like a good match to the f sport shift ****.

The bad thing about this link is that I can't tell how to actually order the different colours so I guess I'm gonna stick with the 2nd link on this thread at $29.99.
Old 08-31-14, 06:42 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Hi Guys,

I am glad more and more people are doing this mod. I ordered mine in Blue and I think it should match the F sport color nicely, but I merely put my cover on the steering wheel without the controls and sides off and it looked like a horrible fit.

Can I please, please request someone to do a DIY video of this if you are attempting it? I have no idea how I would use the double sided tape and etc.

Could someone please do a video on their install? Thanks again!
Old 09-01-14, 10:22 AM
Mcstefan7
Driver School Candidate

From yours pictures it look so Cheap. I think that is not for our Lexus!@!
Old 09-01-14, 07:48 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

^ you need to feel/try it in person. I have 2014 vehicle in my garage and this leather makes my 09 feel just like the fresh leather on the 14. Will it last? that is TBD, but $30 well spent in refreshing the steering wheel.
Old 09-02-14, 10:35 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

I have mixed feelings about mine. Quality feels really good, but I feel like it looks out of place for some reason.

Quick Reply: Stitch on leather steering wheel cover